Ww 231

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ww 231

Has anyone using 231 in a Little Dandy had problems with it sticking in the tube or spout ? I loaded some HBWC's using 231. When finished I dumped the tube and removed the rotor. I was putting a new rotor in and I tapped the loader drop tube down and a fair amount of powder came out. My Dandy is 30+ years old and I've never had a problem with any powder including 231 till now. Just wonder what would cause the sticking. This is the first time I have used powder from this container in the Dandy.
    Never drink down stream from the herd.

I've not had that problem. Sometimes powder sticks to the walls of the Li'l Dandy measure b/c of static electricity. Releases easily with a few taps.
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

When running progressive, I tape a dryer sheet or 2 to the outside of the powder hopper to avoid clinging powder. Like everything else in life, it works ' usually'.
      You only get one chance to do the right thing the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsman View Post
        Sometimes powder sticks to the walls of the Li'l Dandy measure b/c of static electricity.
        And just about every other measure when conditions are just right.
        Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

The problem you describe can be due to the non-volatile solvents that the EPA has forced on industries. Without proper heat/time to evaporate, there can be enough residual solvent to make the powder stick and to clump up. This can vary from lot-to-lot.

Comment

Not the "old stuff". But the new can of W231 I just opened last month, yep.
            I decided to Run the full pound thru the measure, tedious but left enough of the "new" residue to keep from sticking in the rotor. I wonder if I'll have to do it next time. I used Bullseye on Sat. No problems with it.

Comment

I use static guard spray.
              I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Had one of those little contraptions once back in the 80's. Didn't care for it. Gave it, and a bunch of the rotors to an old boy who didn't have a measure. He musta liked it as he didn't come back and fuss.

Reckon I'm lucky. My part of Texas has an average of 78% humidity. Static build ups are basically non-existent. And further, my primary measure is a 1905 Ideal No. 5. All cast iron & brass. Not a micron of plastic present. From FF black powder to Trail Boss, nothing clings to it. Kinda lucky I guess. I dunno, maybe being a stubborn old coot that resists change paid off here? All my gear [except for a few dies] predate Nixon and his nonsense by several years or more.

Old Cop, good luck with that thing. Hope ya loose that static cling!
                "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                X