Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

Ruger #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger #1

Just got a new Ruger #1 in 308 having a little trouble finding a good load. Don't have a lot of time to spend at the range right now. So if I could find some good loads to get started would be a big help. I am thinking of something along 150 gr. bullets or so to hunt deer with.

1s are often temperamental. You're probably on your own since one guy's tack-driver is another's shotgun. Best of luck.
    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

well plainsman pretty much said it.
      the number-1's can be absolute magic out of the box, or they can be temperamental cusses.
      it usually has to do with the fore-arm.

my main 308 load for hunting is pretty generic and it has shot well in every 308 I have ever had.
      it is 42grs of imr 4895 under the Hornady 150gr interlock. [it's not really primer or oal sensitive I just set the case mouth to the bottom of the cannelure]
      it hasn't ever shot a half inch group but hasn't ever shot over 1-1/2"s either.
      set it 2"s high at 100yds and your about 3"s low at 300.

Comment

About the only way to find a tack driver is to do some developments, just way to many variables from one rifle to the next to expect a good load in my rifle to perform well in someone else's.

You could start by picking a one of the common powders for .308, maybe Varget or IMR-4895, both will deliver some decent velocity, then do some developments and see where it takes you.

HBC

Comment

As already said, each rifle has it's own personality
          My M-1A with 150 gr SST liked
          42 gr TAC
          43.8 gr N-150
          Ive heard a lot of guys like Varget but my rifle didnt care for it

Comment

Yep, No. 1s are a difficult child. Some shoot anythign great, others are 'most difficult' if possible to shoot good.

With little time, might want to buy 5 boxes of factory. hunt with them and use them for future brass.

Comment

I have a Ruger No 1in 270 Winchester and I had the same problem!

I put a 3/8" set-screw into the inside the forearm to push upward on the mainspring mounting bar, holding the forearm off the barrel.
              With care installing the set-screw and you'd never know it there, place it behind the mounting screw and ahead of the mainspring.

I then turn the set screw in or out to adjust the clearance to .020" in between the forearm and barrel.
              After that, I could shoot ANY load thru it and it would group FANTASTIC!
              BallisticBRYAN

Wisconsin Hunter Safety Instructor
              Started reloading with my Dad at age 10(1977)
              It was my Father\'s Olds! Restoring a 1956 Olds 88

Comment

Try 44.5 gr of Varget behind a 150. This is what finally got my .308 to put 5 through one big hole. Be careful about OAL.......mine responds unfavorably to SAAMI lengths. I happened to try 2.821 because that was the max my magazine would allow. That was the final key to accuracy. Just for the record I have fired over 110 rounds attempting to get this rifle to shoot semi-decent. With most of the other load combinations it was shooting 2 to 5 inch groups.

Comment

Fortunately the Ruger #1 doesn't have a magazine, so OAL is not limited to the magazine, it's a single shot. I'd start at the lands and work back.

HBC

Comment

Originally posted by 12semi View Post
                    Try 44.5 gr of Varget behind a 150. This is what finally got my .308 to put 5 through one big hole. Be careful about OAL.......mine responds unfavorably to SAAMI lengths. I happened to try 2.821 because that was the max my magazine would allow. That was the final key to accuracy. Just for the record I have fired over 110 rounds attempting to get this rifle to shoot semi-decent. With most of the other load combinations it was shooting 2 to 5 inch groups.
                    Sounds like my Ruger M77 RSI. Took me a bit over two years shooting twice a week on average trying to find a load that wasn't a replica of a shotgun pattern. Best that I ever got it to do was 1.50" at 100 yards Worked to kill deer out as far as 250 yards. Load was the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core with a stiff charge of W760. Velocity was only 2550 FPS. Same load in a 22" barreled M70 did 2610 FPS. The RSI only has an 18.5" barrel. FWIW, switch from the Speer bullet to another make 165 gr. and accuracy goes all to hell.

[QUOTE: Fortunately the Ruger #1 doesn't have a magazine, so OAL is not limited to the magazine, it's a single shot. I'd start at the lands and work back. [/QUOTE]

As I have no idea which model of the Ruger #1 the OP has I can only venture a guess. Probably either an RSI with 20" Barrel or a #1A or #1AB with 22" barrel. One thing I have found with Ruger #1 rifles, I have 20 in my collection is most if not all have very long throats, especially the earlier red pad models that came with Wilson contract barrels. Later #1's with black pads have barrels made by Ruger. I don't know if Ruger ever made a #1B with 26" barrel in .308. Might be interesting.

What I would suggest is see how the rifle shoots with a factory load with the bullet weight of your choice. I wouldn't expect miracles but you never know. Then I would try a handload using a 165 gr. bullet seated as close to the lands as possible for openers. You can always seat the bullets deeper once you find what gives the best accuracy to see if that sweetens the pot. I would forego any alterations to the forearm until all other options have been done. Lets find out what the rifle will do before getting experimental. It's been a while since I've done anything with a #1 but I think I still remember a few tricks to make one shoot.
                    Paul B.

Comment

The man with 20 #1s in his stable probably knows a few things about #1s.
                      Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

I really don't understand the reluctance to free-float the barrel...it's a common pratice with bolt actions.
                        BallisticBRYAN

Wisconsin Hunter Safety Instructor
                        Started reloading with my Dad at age 10(1977)
                        It was my Father\'s Olds! Restoring a 1956 Olds 88

Comment

I agree. I've had both M77s and #1s that I struggled with finding the correct tune until I started blaming the rifle.

The #1 in .375H&H I took to a guy who floated out the front limb, and after that it the groups closed right down.

The M77 was a Swift, and nothing I could do would get it to group under 1.5". I took that one to a different guy who pillar bedded the action and glass bedded the barrel. It became a laser after that, but the groups have started opening up over the years, and it is due for a re-barrel.
                          “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Comment

I like 45 grains of 4064 under a 155 grain Palma bullet. I load 44 grains because 45 is to hard to get into the case. This load shoots very well to 600 yards but I haven't shot it in competition any further than that.

I can't give you my Palma load because it is too hot for publication.
                            Reloader since 1969.

Comment

Working...
                            X