Advice on 6.5 Creedmoor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on 6.5 Creedmoor

so just to give an explanation of what I’m doing so I can get quality advice I am building a 6.5 Creedmoor semi auto rifle on an AR platform and will be handloading for this rifle. I will start out with new brass but did not want to buy both large primer and small primer just to test. What would the advantages and disadvantages be for this rifle case with both large primer and small primer. Thanks in advance Chris

Seems like a lot of people are going to the small primer brass. Is it better, I don't know. I have both. Using small primer brass now.
    Get the best brass you can afford. I use Lapua brass.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Desert marine are you using regular primers or magnum and are the rounds as consistent as the large primers

Comment

I am not seeing any difference in accuracy or reliability between large primer Norma and small (Palma) primer Lapua when shooting 140 grain. The only time I see a difference in accuracy is when shooting 123 grain, in which case Hornady has done better although I have not loaded 123 in the Lapua as of yet. The Lapua does not stretch as quickly, followed by Norma, followed by Lapua. My son is shooting Nosler brass and it seems better than Norma.

Now having said all of that, I would likely go with the cheapest brass I could find until I learned if the semi auto is going to eat brass or not. No point spending a buck per case if it is only going to get loaded 4 times.
        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
        -Winston Churchill

Comment

I have used CCI LRBR and Remington 9 1/2 Benchrest primers. Now going to Federal Gold Match SR. No mag primers, don't see a need.
          Reason for changes are that my rifle will not reliably set off CCI primers. Friends who use 6.5 CM say they use Federal for lower and consistent SD better than the others.
          I will find out.

Comment

I use Federal primers in all my match or varmint cartridges. I'm currently shooting Federal 205M in Lapua brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor. For normal long range target shooting I've never been able to detect a noticeable difference in Federal's standard and match primers. Maybe if I were a benchrest shooter I would notice a difference. I'm currently shooting 205M because I already have them in my stash.
            NRA Endowment member
            NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
            TSRA member
            NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
            NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
            Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
            BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

I want to thank you all for taking the time to reply. All of it great info. Now just to finish my build and start shooting and testing. Thanks again.

Comment

Have fun and be safe.

Comment

Working...
                X