Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

Rio goose loads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio goose loads

First off;
    My load is a published load I have been using for a LONG time. I just cant find my Rio pamphlet it came from.
    We do a lot of goose/duck hunting on the river after Big game and before it ALL freezes up.
    On out last outing you would think My boy and I where shooting blanks and the D-I-L had all the "loaded" ones.
    She flat out kicked our buts, that trip.
    My boy has a Winchester 1100 pump and mine is a rem 870 super express, D-I-L just got a Stoeger auto.
    We all run a .669 choke ( very tight) . I do the shot shell reloading the boy does the brass stuff.
    We have found that a Rio blue 3" hull ,Fiocchi 616 ( ? ) primer 35 gr steel powder , TPS wad and 71 #2 steel shot (240 gr) and 46 #B steel shot (260 gr)
    That is just under 1 1/4 oz. ,the smaller shot has to be on the bottom at 1500 fps is death ( normally ) on Canada geese and golden eye ducks.
    50 and 60 yards work well, not so good on a gadwall that sometimes slips up on you under 30 yards and that really is not the right load but, dead is dead.
    I have checked the speed with our Magnetospeed in different temperatures and there very consistent.
    We have not put the new auto on paper yet but what we saw I would say it is putting the spread right on target.
    We have printed out shotguns and at 40 yards a 30" circle will get close to 90% of the shot , you can see the #2/ #B spread .
    Most the B are in 15/20 inch and the #2 will fill in the rest, few flyers of either.
    I weigh every powder load and that are exact, I use primer trays to actually count the pellets, never mix the two, the weight may very slightly but the count is exact.
    Anyway what do you goose slayers use ?

Attached Files
    shoot\'em till your arm falls off

Originally posted by d45/70 View Post
    First off;

Anyway what do you goose slayers use ?

I've killed a total of two geese in my life. I guess that makes me a goose slayer. My weapon of choice is a bit more basic than yours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hatchet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	789948
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I have a gun, and a load, but, well........ The Story.............Sad, and funny.

Back about 2006, before I retired from Air Natl. Guard Security Forces, 3 of my co-workers were planning a goose-get-together.
      They asked if I would like to come along to a 4-some.
      I happily agreed.
      I had NOTHING truly suitable for Goose IMO (My beloved 2 3/4" 12 gauge FN Auto 5 WILL NEVER shoot steel), but, I was working overtime a lot so extra cash was available.

A coffin-blind
      Full outer clothing suitable for cold-windy-wet-nasty (Bibs, coat & liner, boots, gloves).
      Browning BPS Mighty 10 Gauge.
      The whole works in basically matching HD-4 cornfield camoflage.

The trip never happened, schedules just couldn't be arranged.

I had a 20-gauge 700 Versamec laying around, unused (had no 20-gauge (inherited one years later)).
      Found someone online selling a set of 10-gauge dies for a Versamec. SOLD!! ($50)
      Federal hulls, 50gr of STEEL (hand weighed every one (that STEEL meters like big hunks of concrete, terrible)), SAM-1 wad, 1 1/2 ounces of BB's. 1600fps.
      A Briley extended choke tube, Steel Full.
      They hammer clays in the yard even at lengthy ranges.........

I keep meaning to just drag myself out (had some loaner decoys for 4 or 5 years,,, need to get some myself maybe), sometimes after deer season they are seen in dad's 17 acre tillage field (wheat) in the evenings.
      I need to ask DWPT about the deer feeders that are not ON the field, but one of them is only 75' or so off the side, past a tree-line, what would constitute "baiting".
      I've NEVER seen geese over at that feeder, not live, not on cameras watching the feeder.

Comment

I've gone duck and goose hunting probably 25 - 30 times in my life, most of which has been in South Dakota. The sad story is that I've killed exactly zero geese, and maybe 2 or 3 ducks that I can recall. It's not that I haven't been able to get into them, they just seem to be wearing ballistic vests or something, cause I just can't seem to bring them down.

HBC

Comment

Working...
        X