Shotgun reloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got into shotgun reloading years ago.
    Would shoot skeet on Sundays so got loaders for 12 and 28 gauge.
    on't compete any more but still reload.
    urrent cost for 12 gauge 1oz loads is $5.39/bx
    urrent cost for 28 gauge 3/4oz loads is $5.14/bx
    Last edited by RaySendero; 07-04-2020, 09:50.
    Ray

Comment

All this talk of saving a few cents on a box of el'cheap-o clay busting loads got me curious about just what my home brew shells were weighing in at. For my 1 oz loads it adds up as follows...

With the "reclaimed #7.5 - 8 shot" I've been using, Cheddite 209's, Claybuster wads and Nobel Sport Vectan "Prima-V" powder I can load a box of 25 for $4.35. Not all that much of a savings but it does amount to an extra 6 shells for the same price as what the big box stores commanding.

For any that are interested in the above mentioned #7.5 - 8 reclaimed shot, it's available in a 65 pound box (2 bags) for $90 S&H included.The shot has been cleaned, steel pellets removed, and re-lubricated/graphite coated.
      Send an email to; John at [email protected] or you can contact him through Flea'Bay by doing a "Sellers Search" for studl.joh very nice people and a quality product!

GC

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

loaded shotgun shells for 40 years. Finally figured out. Cheapo shells by the 5 cases was about 30 cents more than my cost. so I was earning about 1 cents per shell, If you neglect gas to get stuff.

True my goose and turkey loads were better than the premium shells purchased at Wally World and about half the cost. But when I figured out how many goose and turkey loads I used a year...cost didn't matter.

Gave my Dietmeyer loader to a young guy starting out.

Comment

Given the current state of ammo and supplies, my stash of 12, 16, and 20 gauge components has me feeling pretty good right now. I'll still buy the cheaper shells for now and save my stash for hard times. RD
          People will forget your name, forget where they met you and forget the details of a conversation that you had, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Copy that Rd
            Proud to be a NRA member!
            Retired Extremely Dangerous

Comment

One has to wonder if it isn't some measure of how deeply you are hooked on this hand-loading thing if you honestly can't remember the last time you spent your hard earned components money and bought real factory made ammunition.

GC
              "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

I bought some .22Rimfire a month or so ago...................

Comment

I bought a rifle only because it came with 220 brass, half of which were loaded with factory loads.
                  shoot\'em till your arm falls off

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
                    I bought some .22Rimfire a month or so ago...................
                    DA,

22 rimfire doesn't count, unless its an end of the world apocalypse situation. No one in their right mind bother's to reload 22's... Even at popular prices.

GC

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

I shoot 7/8oz trap loads out of my 12ga so that my shoulder remains my friend; they're so light they won't recycle my humpback even a the low setting, which saves me from bending over to pick 'em up. Costs me about a buck a box less than the cheap Winnies. Same load as a light 20, but in the heavier gun I can shoot 3 boxes twice a week and still sleep at night. Still buy a few 20ga loads for skeet; got a Model 11 for that; it'll go dove hunting with me come September. Biggest difference is in 410 loads; I can get 3/4oz at about 125 ft/sec hotter than the factory stuff without any problem, as long as I'm shooting them in one of the break-action 410s--I'm using all the case except for the roll-crimp, or sometimes sealing them full-length with waterglass. Cuts the price of 410's down to less than the 20's and I don't even have to resize 'em if I mark the hulls for each separate gun. Got some duplex and triplex loads; even some lead-free for jumping duck ponds when I'm grouse hunting. I'll be reloading shotshells as long as I can still get a couple ounces by moving my bench and sweeping up shot.
                      windy
                      Sonny, whar I growed up, "magnum" wuz another word for "lousy hunter"!

Comment

Working...
                      X