Mec 600Jr Depriming & resizing problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mec 600Jr Depriming & resizing problem

I'm having a problem using a Mec 600Jr (old one, pre-1985) that I recently acquired. Firstly, I've been handloading for rifle and pistol for almost 10 years, so I'm not a newbie at reloading brass. However, I'm just getting into reloading shotshells precipitated by the acqisition of a nice but older 12-gauge over/under brno shotgun and the desire, in my senior years, to learn how to shoot sporting clays. My initial research led me to two universally accessible shotshell reloaders: the Mec 600 and the Lee Load-all. I found a Mec 600Jr on eBay and bought it. Whatever small parts were missing or looked too worn I was able to buy on-line. Now that it is all set up, I'm having a problem with the first station, namely depriming & resizing. The problem is that after raising the arm (after depriming) the hull will only partially eject. The brass base ejects, but the plastic hull will not, and is stuck and cannot even be pulled out - I have to unscrew the housing tube of the first station and give it a might yank to remove the hull. Going online, I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNgISPzS5_c - so I ordered the modified knockout punch. The punch part works fine, but the hull still gets stuck on the depriming punch (the lower part of the station's assembly). All parts of this station have been cleaned and polished, and I even tried using case labe, but the hulls still get stuck. Has anyone experienced this problem and come up with a solution? In looking at the bottom part of the assembly, can a smaller deprime punch be used, say, one for a 410, as this should have no effect on resizing, as this is done by the ring on the bottom on the housing tube?

Have you tried adjusting the cam that hits the top of the ejector? It's a slotted adjustment right above the ejector.

I've had the same problem with my 12 gauge but never to the point that I couldn't pull them off. What brand of hulls are you using? Six point or eight point crimps? How many times have the hulls been loaded? I use mainly Remington STS or Gun Club hulls along with a few Winn AA hulls. The AA hulls of 20 years ago were miles ahead of the "new" AA hulls. The cheap Winchester Promo hulls are junk. Not only do they hang up in presses but they don't eject from shotguns when reloaded.
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

The cam at the top of the ejector is actually working correctly, as it does push the hull out about 1/2-inch. The hulls are AA once fired 8-points. If I remove the housing tube and repeat the operation, the hull stays stuck on the bottom part (the deprime punch), and I have to yank it off. Can't say for sure what is the ago of the hulls, the guy who sold me the press sold me his supply of used hulls (mainly AA) and a bag of Bair red wads. So far to work off my frustration I've been reloading .45ACP.

Comment

I've used my 600 jr exclusively since starting with trap, trouble free except for pulling a few dumb tricks, related elsewhere. I've loaded only a very few once fired AA, but just could not become as enthused as many are. Feds and Estates (the same factory line) load as nearly to new as it's possible to get for 9 loadings. (Watching what I'm doing, I scrap them administratively at 9, they last that long before they start failing at the crimps.)

Yes, the hulls will all hang up in the resize die, and as near as I can tell, they are supposed to so you don't have to race to catch them if they fall out. That said, very infrequently, I've had to give the hull a bit of a twist to make 'em release all the way. The plastics in use by Rem, Fed, Kent, Winchester these days, all seem to be a light drag out of the die.

For the sake of asking an obvious question, just in case: No dirt on the hulls? (With your experience, I doubt it, but, well --- )
        -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
        -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Some hulls are a bit discolored, but there is no dirt that comes out of them. It is physically impossible to pull the hull off the die with the housing tube attached. Tomorrow I'll call Hummason Mfg in Ancaster - they are Mec dealers and I just bought 25 lbs of 7-1/2 shot as well as parts from them. I may have to drive over there with the press and have them look it over. Down side is that it's about a 5 hour drive from where Iive.

Comment

Just call MEC customer service directly. They have 2 mechanics that overhaul machines daily. They will cheerfully and personally guide you through what you need to do to fix it at no charge. They have even sent me parts at no charge. Years back they would send your parts with an invoice and trust your check as payment after the parts arrived. Try them at 1-800-797-4632. They are open M-F 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Central Time.

Just realized that you are in Ontario! Don't know how calls to US work as far a toll free numbers. If you need assistance PM me and I'll give a call for you and report back.
            Last edited by Rockydog; 2 weeks ago.
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I'll call Mec tomorrow morning. No problems calling US locations (home phone is VoIP unlimited Canada & USA, and my cell is a US number with Verizon unlimited Canada, US & Mexico). I winter in AZ. I'm pleased to see that Mec has this level of customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by airstreamer View Post
                I'm having a problem using a Mec 600Jr (old one, pre-1985) that I recently acquired. Firstly, I've been handloading for rifle and pistol for almost 10 years, so I'm not a newbie at reloading brass. However, I'm just getting into reloading shotshells precipitated by the acqisition of a nice but older 12-gauge over/under brno shotgun and the desire, in my senior years, to learn how to shoot sporting clays. My initial research led me to two universally accessible shotshell reloaders: the Mec 600 and the Lee Load-all. I found a Mec 600Jr on eBay and bought it. Whatever small parts were missing or looked too worn I was able to buy on-line. Now that it is all set up, I'm having a problem with the first station, namely depriming & resizing. The problem is that after raising the arm (after depriming) the hull will only partially eject. The brass base ejects, but the plastic hull will not, and is stuck and cannot even be pulled out - I have to unscrew the housing tube of the first station and give it a might yank to remove the hull. Going online, I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNgISPzS5_c - so I ordered the modified knockout punch. The punch part works fine, but the hull still gets stuck on the depriming punch (the lower part of the station's assembly). All parts of this station have been cleaned and polished, and I even tried using case labe, but the hulls still get stuck. Has anyone experienced this problem and come up with a solution? In looking at the bottom part of the assembly, can a smaller deprime punch be used, say, one for a 410, as this should have no effect on resizing, as this is done by the ring on the bottom on the housing tube?
                Only the brass/metal base is SUPPOSED to eject, I cannot imagine how the plastic tube gets "seized" on something. The deprime punch is a long, solid, full-diameter shaft, which is flared slightly where the top of the hull is so as to "open up" the old crimp folds some.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	th?id=OIP.MwnHwzUDsvlpMBNuhLHfmgHaHa&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	839862
                The only way I can imagine the hull tube getting seized onto it is if it is the wrong (too large) diameter. 10-gauge depriming punch?

Are you certain the HULL TUBE is what is getting stuck?
                Again, I have never seen this problem (MEC 310, 700 Versamec (factory modified 600Jr), Sizemaster, and Grabber 76), never heard of this problem.
                If the deprime punch ITSELF is over-large, IT could be sticking inside the hull basewad.
                Which Hull? Remington's are tighter due to a different primer shape at the upper part of the basewad.

Comment

Damannoyed => your photo actually explains MY problem. My Mec 600Jr is an older one and the deprimer/resizer is 2 separate pieces. I've attached the parts schematic see parts numbered 72 (bolt), 23 (nut), 71 (knockout punch), 24 (nut), 31 (deprimer punch) which makes up what the new part is which you show in your photo. I'll let you all know what Mec says (I'm about to call them now).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just got off the phone with Mec. It seems that one of the previous owners had mixed up the parts on this press. The deprimer punch is too large (should be .688", I measured mine at .72"), probably from a 10-gauge. The tube is also too long and is missing the resizing ring with the adjustable lock nut. New parts were ordered and should arrive in about a week.

Thanks to all who commented, and especially to RockyDog who steered me to Mec's factory support.

Comment

Thanks for telling us what the problem was. I'm glad you could talk to MEC and get things straightened out. Here's a more complete address and phone if others need it.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
                      800 Horicon Street, Suite 1
                      Mayville, WI 53050
                      T - 920.387.4500
                      F - 920.387.5802
                      T - 800.797.4632 Customer Service
                      www.mecoutdoors.com

Employee Owned

Comment

If your problem is adjustment, there are many good videos on the subject on youtube. My sons load on 9000G, but I prefer 600jr's. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by airstreamer View Post
                          Just got off the phone with Mec. It seems that one of the previous owners had mixed up the parts on this press. The deprimer punch is too large (should be .688", I measured mine at .72"), probably from a 10-gauge. The tube is also too long and is missing the resizing ring with the adjustable lock nut. New parts were ordered and should arrive in about a week.

Thanks to all who commented, and especially to RockyDog who steered me to Mec's factory support.
                          Well, that'll sure as heck lock up a hull onto the depriming punch, yes indeedy.
                          The only way I can imagine the hull tube getting seized onto it is if it is the wrong (too large) diameter. 10-gauge depriming punch?
                          Well, since THAT is figured out, now you need to go through EVERY PIECE, every die, just to make sure you have 12-ga. correct ones.

There is enough size difference that you should be able, with simple measurements and/or simple fitting to empty 12 gauge hulls and a loaded round or 2 to find any sloppy fit ones that are again, 10-gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
                            Well, since THAT is figured out, now you need to go through EVERY PIECE, every die, just to make sure you have 12-ga. correct ones.
                            If there are 12 ga hulls expanded to 10 ga interior dims, the 12 ga wads are apt to let things move around and mix. (I can visualize powder finding its way up the gap around the wad, but it takes a squeeze on the brain to do so.) I can even better imagine trial fitting a 12 ga wad in all the questionable hulls, and scrapping the loose fits.

-Remote locations are cheap insurance.
                            -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

I meant press parts, but I see I wrote it poorly.

Comment

Working...
                              X