Doing some lead shot shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing some lead shot shells

I don't shoot a lot of lead shells anymore.
    I do load and shoot a lot of steel shells.

I love the Blue 3" Rio hull for my steel shot shells .

They fill and crimp GREAT.

I run my steel at very high presser ( book load)and only reuse the hull once.

The ends tend to get a little raged after being shot twice.

They probably would be fine loaded more but there very inexpensive and come primed.

Anyway I have good chunk of hulls that have been shot twice.

Today I gathered them up about 200,and cut them down to 2 3/4 .

They look a little odd because they have a very high brass.

Anyway I'm filling them with 34 gr of blue dot and 600 gr lead shot.

#8, #71/2, and #5 lead shot.

Most my shells are loaded "Duplex" like 71/2 x 5 in lead and I love #2 steel x B or BB.

But I'm going straight with this batch .

I'll shoot them twice and cut them again.

I have a very cool load for a 2 1/2" hull , that shoot very well.

I have 600 new ones to load for goose season in my steel duplex.

I'm not having as good of luck with my 3 1/2 12.

The better hull for them is the federal red hull but there twice the $$$ and the recoil is brutal, ounce and a half verse 1 1/4 is rough

on the shoulder after 3 dozen or so

shoot\'em till your arm falls off

Please forgive my ignorance, as I confine my shot shell loading to trap and skeet loads and buy my hunting shells due to the volume I shoot per year. Are these waterfowl loads and what is the advantage of them?

Comment

Lead are all upland bird, Steel for waterfowl.
      Advantage in duplex or 1 3/8 load of lead?
      A load of # 8 shot is 564 pellets, up close it is a can't miss load.
      Duplex is a different story ask 6 people and you get 6 different opinions.
      In theory if loaded with layers of different sized shot , the bigger/ heaver shot on top will travel farther and carry there energy longer.
      The smaller shot will give more coverage but lose it's heft sooner, In my mind , a little more all round load.

Comment

That 600 Grains of lead shot appears to be almost exactly 1 3/8 ounce if my math is right.

I used to load 2 3/4" Winchester AA trap hulls with 37 Grains of Blue Dot under a Lage Uniwad and 1 1/4 ounce of no. 5 chilled shot for Iowa pheasants. I now use that same load for spring turkeys. It shoots tighter patterns than any commercial load I can buy. Book says 1375 FPS. It does get to its destination pretty quickly.

I also use the same load with no. 2 chilled shot for coyotes and SD loads.

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgement of users of this data, neither the writer, Handloadersbench.com, nor the staff of Handloadersbench.com assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't try, for your own safety and the safety of others.
        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgement of users of this data, neither the writer, Handloadersbench.com, nor the staff of Handloadersbench.com assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't try, for your own safety and the safety of others.
          Thanks for adding that I forgot, yes 1- 3/8 oz. 1250 fps according to the book.
          My coyote load will rock your world.
          1 5/8 oz #F lead, steel powder 3 1/2" 12 gauge.
          Whack them out past 70 yards.

Comment

Working...
          X