MEC Super Sizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEC Super Sizer

Does anyone use one of these? Have you changed out the collets for the different gauges? Pros/cons?
    https://www.mecoutdoors.com/super-sizer
    “Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”
    ― Franz Kafka

I use one for 10-gauge simply because the Power Ring sizer on a Versamec is hard to deal with on High Brass hulls.

They work great.

It is the exact same collet mechanism (and parts) as the ones on my 12-gauge Grabber and 20-gauge Sizemaster.

They do NOT do a "better" job of sizing that the Power Ring setup does, they do a SOOTHER job sizing.

DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THEM. There is absolutely ZERO need to squeeze shotshells down to SAAMI Minimums, ever. 2-5 thousandths below chamber minimum is plenty, and the collets will live almost forever (greased properly on occasions).
    This is the only "con" I know of, "they can be sprung and cracked from excessive sizing forces, they require occasional maintenance".
    Everything else, is "pro".

Super Web Grease, best thing out there, the MEC-advised Anti-Seize will need regular re-application, Super Web not so.

Comment

So, if and when I get the grabber, I won't need a super sizer unless the grabber doesn't size it enough then.
      “Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”
      ― Franz Kafka

Comment

Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
        I use one for 10-gauge simply because the Power Ring sizer on a Versamec is hard to deal with on High Brass hulls.

This is the only "con" I know of, "they can be sprung and cracked from excessive sizing forces, they require occasional maintenance".
        Everything else, is "pro".

Super Web Grease, best thing out there, the MEC-advised Anti-Seize will need regular re-application, Super Web not so.
        In my experience the biggest reason that they get sprung is because stray shot gets between the sections. The harder the shot the better the chance of damage. I would suspect that is a bigger problem with the collets on the Grabber or the 9000 Series where spilled shot can easily drop into the sizer than with the standalone sizer. RD

Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Originally posted by hockeynick39 View Post
          So, if and when I get the grabber, I won't need a super sizer unless the grabber doesn't size it enough then.
          They are the same collet assembly, just one has an entire press added to it.

The older (76 series) Grabbers like mine have a slightly shorter collet that doesn't quite resize really high brass. The 85 series (newer) is deeper, same time the S.S. was created.

Most of the damage I hear of is from people making ammo fit a MEC Shell Checked.

Shot will often stop the 'lifter plate' from dropping the hull far enough and when the collet closes, it de-rims the case, permanently. Again, most common failure, not the only one possible of course.

Comment

Working...
          X