Lets split some goose feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets split some goose feathers

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgement of users of this data, neither the writer, nor the staff of BSB .com assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't try, for your own safety and the safety of others.

That said:
    I load steel duplex shot shells you all know.
    I was loading and my mind was contemplating, how I split up the "Duplex "
    I'm loading 1 1/8 oz 3" shells.
    I'm using blue Rio hulls TPS wads and steel powder, 37 grains booked at 1500 fps and we get JUST under that with our Magnospeed.
    In the hull with the wads (47.8 gr. ) powder with in a flake or two of exactly 37 gr. I weigh every charge , and an over shot card , 1.2 gr. 1.12 oz.. of shot is what I can get in and get a very good crimp JUST shy of 1 1/8 oz.
    Here is what I'm wondering.
    Which is the better way to go split by weight or by # of pellets.
    I have always gone by pellets I my 2B load I use 57 #2, 200 gr. and 57 #b , 290 gr. I weigh each charge not count, there with in a pellet of perfect a #2 is 3.5 gr. and a #n is 5.5gr.
    That is a total of 114 pellets.
    If I go by weight and split in half 245 gr. each it comes out 69 #2's and 48 #B's
    for a total of 117 pellets.
    3 pellets different but it changes % wises a lot,
    I have patterned my load out of all 3 guns , my 870, the boys 1100, and the
    D-I-L stoger auto all with a .669 choke with out standing results, at 50 yards.
    What are your thoughts?
    There made to be a combo decoy/ long shot load for geese and big ducks .
    The energy of the b's take over way out but the swarm of the 2" is important up close.
    When I load them I put the small lighter shot on the bottom so the heavy ones don't blow through them from behind, at least in my mind.
    If you pattern them on the water you can see two distinct different "Cones " in the water. On paper the smaller shot at 50 yards fills the outer portion with the B's more in the center.
    Make any sense ?
    Just trying to re-invent the wheel ?
    Last edited by d45/70; 07-23-2019, 17:06.
    shoot\'em till your arm falls off

I have never loaded any steel but I have done some duplex lead. I always used the smaller shot like a buffer around the bigger stuff. I may be way off and am just thinking while typing but the smaller shot is for beasts that are up close so wouldn’t you want that out front to get there first? It’s all about the shot string. I do my string tests on snow not unlike what you are doing on water. The snow let’s me examine the patterns while the patterns on water are fleeting.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

May be wrong but The heavy pellets will be grouped very tight in the center up close, 20 yards If you hit then dead center it's like a steel slug I would guess.
      the smaller shot spread a lot faster, it looks like on the water , at 20 yards. Kinda...

Comment

Easy enough to test. Heavy in front, heavy in back.
        Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

That is how I came up with the heave in the back.
          Just wondering if I need to adjust the split.
          I lean towards the #B, Even though I get a few extra pellets the other way.
          A #B can do anything a #2 can but a #2 can't do everything a #B can.

Comment

Working...
          X