Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new little press today

Good buy for a fella wanting to learn to handload.:wink:

Well fellas,I was supposed to be calling bobcats and yotes today somewhere up near Lacy Lakeview Texas but the rainy weather shut us down.There happened to be a gunshow today in Belton Texas so I rustled up my hunting buddy Scout243 and off we went in a heavy downpour.
    I have never bought a LEE product before as I`ve always heard they are shit and I don`t waste money on junk.Well anyways,I ran across this Lee Challenger press new in the box for 40 bucks.I`ve been curious about their presses so I bought it and a shellholder for my 45-70.
    I brought it home and mounted it,used it to size a 45-70 case and such.
    It will be used with my 223 Ackley mainly and not with my large case sizing.The Rockchucker handles all that.
    Overall,its not a chucker by a long stretch but for 40 bucks..Anybody wanting to start loading,I would recomend it if you`re on a budget.
    It is a little sloppy in the linkage compared to a chucker but it`ll get the job done.I would be afraid to size 300 mag cases with it but for a 223 or pistol cases,its overkill...:thumbs:
    "He who fights with monsters might take care, lest he thereby become a monster; For if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - F.Nietzche
    [IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/Timberghozt/cib-1.gif[/IMG]

congratulations on the purchase gene. i beleive that over the long run you will be happy with this press!:thumbs:lee doesn't make the fanciest stuff out there, but the success of its products cannot be denied.

if you get the chance, try to pick up a copy of lee's book "modern reloading." the first edition is the one i have, but i imagine either edition would suffice. lots of good stuff there, especially if you are interested in learning to cast boolits! it can usually be found for 7$ or less. the one with the red cover is the one i have......

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Foods of the World Forums

Comment

Hey Ron.I think you are right.I have been often asked,"What about this Lee press" when asked by guys wanting to start handloading.I figured this way I would be able to give them an honest opinion of Lee if I owned one.

You are also right.I already own Richard Lee`s book.One of the best loading manuals available for a new handloader.
      I have a pretty extensive library regarding reloading,handloading and wildcatting but Mr Lee`s book lays it all out with all the info a new handloader would ever need and his parts on casting still have me reading it....:thumbs:
      "He who fights with monsters might take care, lest he thereby become a monster; For if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - F.Nietzche

Comment

Try the press for a couple of months, and then give us your opinion on it. I think you will find Lee makes servicable equipment. It will not last the rest of your life, like some reloading presses will, but if you get a ten year life from it, so what? Buy another $40 press!

As you mentioned, it is a reasonably good press for a beginer, who might be short of funds, or not sure he wants to handload for a lifetime. I think many of the "RCBS or nothing" group hurt aspiring hamdloaders more than they help. If a guy wants to start handloading and is on a tight budget, telling him to wait until he can afford a $250 to $450 set of tools is pretty much the same as tellng him not to bother handloading at all.
        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Gene;

For $65, the Lee classic press is so big it can come with a .50BMG die set.

The Challenger is a decent medium duty press, the $18 "C" press and the $20 hand press are light duty presses that are fine for any normal resizing and reloading efforts.

I hate to mention, Midway sells the Challenger for $32.

For less than $80, you can get a Challenger, with a Lee reloading manual,scale, hand primer and 11 shell holders, case trimmer cutter and stud, case lube, neck reamer and powder measure and some other small items.

Comment

Will do Charley.I doubt it will see very much use as compared to the chucker but ...I agree with you that fellas who tell folks,its RCBS ,Dillon or nothing do hurt the hobby of the Handloader.
            Some folks just won`t start reloading-handloading because of the expense involved in the initial tools necessary to do it.I think herein lies the place where Lee can get those folks who are interested but not sure if they want to load their own stuff into the game.
            I`ve been trying to get Scout involved with handloading but he pretty much just likes to shoot his guns and doesn`t care where the ammunition comes from.I think Im gonna tell him this is his press and see if he`ll want to load if it is his tool he`s using.:wink:

Ahh dernit Don..You know the routinel.There is never a bargain at these gun shows.And I though I was getting a deal...:shameon::lol::lol:
            At least I got a needed shellholder out of the trip for $3.75:thumbs:

Comment

That press looks awfully familiar. :confused: Oh yeah, that's the one I started out with.

It resized and loaded up a lot of 9, 357, 44, 223 and 308. After six or seven years of hard use the linkage simply broke. But it got me into reloading and that in itself was worth it.

Gene, you need to get Scout to start loading up your 40 on that. :thumbs:
              "Get off your computer and go load some ammo"

Welcome to California. Press 2 for English.

Comment

GR...thats a derned good idea.I got 1700 peices of brass coming here soon from MrMom.That oughta keep the little fella busy for a while...:thumbs:

Comment

Just saw now where Lee has a turret version of the Classic press. Mightbe worth looking into.

Lee Classic Turret Press

Considered one of the most convenient presses to own. Built similar to the Classic Cast press, the Classic Turret features the same solid construction that you have come to know and trust with Lee products. The press can handle cases from 3" long all the way up to over 5-1/2" 50 BMG cartridge. This press features the same solid steel linkage of the Classic Cast Press in addition to Lee's Lever Primer System (LPS) and Lee Safety Prime tool. Dies sold separately.

Midway's description, no picture yet.
                  "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

that's the same one I got just havn't got everything else that I need yet. Can't wait to learn how to use it.
                    hmmm that deer was tasty. THAT WASN\'T DEER!!!! oh well still tasted good

Comment

GR;

Lee has all the parts for it cheap.

I take all my presses apart once a year, wipe them down with a dry rag and relube with neverseize, the nickle , not the copper type, do the same with the hand primer, which is well over 20 years old.

Just viewed a short video from Lee that shows a person loading 6 rounds in 60 seconds with the new classic 4 hole turret press with the primer tool on it.

The price of the new turret press is quite reasonable and a lot of ad ons are available.

Really should check it out.

I have been a single stage loader for 50 years, but this is tempting.

Comment

Gunrunner.

I pretty much had the same problem with the linkage on my Lee press going.

But instead of getting the replacement parts, i made my own linkage..... while i was at it sorted out play and slack on the whole thing.....it made a huge difference!

Its still going strong after 12 yrs now......

All the best
                        Grey Smoke

"A fanatic is one who can\'t change his mind and won\'t change the subject."

-Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't even know if I still have my Challenger press. If I do it's in a box of junk somewhere, burried under more junk. I might have given it to someone. :confused:

When mine broke I got on the phone to Midway and had a Rockchucker sent pdq. Never looked back since.
                          "Get off your computer and go load some ammo"

Welcome to California. Press 2 for English.

Comment

Working...
                          X