No announcement yet.

Work Bench

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking bench Mountie. Dark color will make it harder to see some things but, I think it sure looks nice. A good light above the bench will brighten it up well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
      Nice looking bench, finish is a little dark for me. the diamond plate definitely would add to the cost. For sliding doors, I'd probably us e14 inch ply or Masonite. Then again, I'm cheap.
      Im pretty cheap myself ole buddy. Nothing wrong with that. The diamond plate is also a very cheap sheet. Not sure what gauge it is but it is so thin I cut it with sheet metal scissors and had to veneer it on 1/4 " plywood to make it rigid enough to work. I used some loctite glue in a caulk tube and I believe it would have welded metal together.

Comment

My first bench was a section of a bowling alley that got bolted to a wall. It was really solid and a lot longer than I needed for reloading. I also used it for building fishing rods. Now I use a set of cast iron machine shop legs with a couple of 2 x 10's for a top. It's a lot smaller, but I only have a press mounted on it. The other equipment stays on a desk. They are arranged in an L shape and while not the best layout, it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountieman View Post

Im pretty cheap myself ole buddy. Nothing wrong with that. The diamond plate is also a very cheap sheet. Not sure what gauge it is but it is so thin I cut it with sheet metal scissors and had to veneer it on 1/4 " plywood to make it rigid enough to work. I used some loctite glue in a caulk tube and I believe it would have welded metal together.
          Those polyurethane construction adhesives are SERIOUS, very powerful.

I was always a Leech F-26 fan, great stuff, but good as it is, it won't hold a candle to the various Polyurethanes.

Comment

This is the bench I've just finished. I'm still working out my overall workflow but you get the gist of whats going on there. Also ignore the mess, everything that will be staying with the bench will be hanging on the back board.

The frame is 40x40 (1.5x1.5'') SHS, the back is 16mm MDF, and the top is a 2200x600x25mm hardwood bench top from Bunnings (the Australian equivalent of Lowes or Home Depot I think).

All up is cost me about $200, with the bench top costing $100 on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by D1cko View Post
              This is the bench I've just finished. I'm still working out my overall workflow but you get the gist of whats going on there. Also ignore the mess, everything that will be staying with the bench will be hanging on the back board.

The frame is 40x40 (1.5x1.5'') SHS, the back is 16mm MDF, and the top is a 2200x600x25mm hardwood bench top from Bunnings (the Australian equivalent of Lowes or Home Depot I think).

Very nice... I really like the bench top. Worth the money in my opinion. I agree about the mess.. Clean that crap up man.... LOLOLOL

Comment

Very nice. I prefer steel supported benches for strength and rigidity. I only wish I still had access to a welder and other metal shop tools. I miss not being able to work with that medium anymore. Moved, retired and no space for that equipment any longer. Looks like you have some space under the bench top to add several drawers to hold all those things that you want to have at your fingertips.
                “It’s better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need a gun and not have it”

.380, 9mm, .38, .357, .45acp, .45 long Colt, .40, .223 / 5.56

NRA RSO
                Concealed Handgun License

Comment

You gents have some nice projects going. Makes me want to build some new stuff, but the wife's craft room needs new surfaces so no way I can approach benches before that.
                  I almost never knew how much I needed a tool until the first time I used it.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                  -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3100 View Post

Looks like you have some space under the bench top to add several drawers to hold all those things that you want to have at your fingertips.
                    I've been thinking about it, but the thing is, I really don't like storage thats down low. I put that down to a mixture of being very tall, and also injuring my back years ago in a car crash.
                    I'd be more inclined to put shelving up, which I do have plans to do.

Comment

I like the old stand by - 2"x4"s and 3/4" plywood , you can build anything .

Comment

I've been thinking about it, but the thing is, I really don't like storage thats down low. I put that down to a mixture of being very tall, and also injuring my back years ago in a car crash.
                        I'd be more inclined to put shelving up, which I do have plans to do.
                        I see shelving there as well. For me though, i’d need to put up cabinets so I could cover up all my stuff. Sucks being OCD. I understand what you are saying about low storage, I‘m old and fat, reaching down and bending over just doesn’t go as smoothly as it once used too! Drawers I’d put under counter just to hold those things you would like at your fingertips without having to deal with them at your fingertips! Lol!
                        “It’s better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need a gun and not have it”

NRA RSO

Comment

Originally posted by hooterville View Post
                          Good looking setup. You have accumulated quite a bit of stuff. Unfinished 2x4’s and plywood, functional and cost effective. There a lot of people that can not saw up lumber or even measure the same dimension two times in a row! Those folks need a kit workbench or hire it done.

NRA RSO

Comment

Originally posted by hooterville View Post
                            Yep looks good to me. Fully functional and a lot of nice stuff there

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
                              You gents have some nice projects going. Makes me want to build some new stuff, but the wife's craft room needs new surfaces so no way I can approach benches before that.
                              We all know which one you would rather do first and we all know which one you are going to do first. My wife is 5' tall and I am 6' 230lbs... Its amazing what that little woman can make me do and when she says too also.

Comment

I built my own, I used three 2x8s (actually 1.5"x9") as the top and then screwed 2x4s underneath it around the perimeter and crosswise underneath it as supporting braces. I then used 4x4 posts (actually 3.5"x3.5") as the legs which are secured to the bench via the underside perimeter 2x4s with heavy duty deck screws (2 on each side of the post). and then used more 2x4s as crossmembers to help stabilize the legs. I used the scrap wood to build a shelf on top of the bench itself. it's sturdy enough to **** on. you can just screw your holes in for your press and other gadgets wherever you want of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X