X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a
    Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

I used an Ohas beam for 30+ years. Used it for years for 243 - 300WM. Now only for 223. Accurate but hard on old eyes. Hated going in to load. My wife bought me a Lyman digital for Christmas last year. Loading is enjoyable again. A little over the price you want but Midway has some good sales. After I got mine it was on sale about $30 cheaper.
      Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

I have a Lyman beam no number on it but I think it was real cheep when my brother bought it 40 years ago. It has missing parts I thought of sending it to get fixed and missing parts. Not sure it would be worth it.
        I also have a digital Lyman I think it was around $30 when I picked it up new.
        For most loading the digital is OK but some times I think I need to be on the money with some loads.
        Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Hard to tell from the small photo but is looks like one of the darker ones. Reason I asked is I both. The lighter is, well a much lighter scale. It does not settle any where near as quickly. Some glue lead/use sticky weights inside to keep it from moving around when removing the pan. Either way, a better decision than a digital.

I have a GemPro 250, RCBS Charge Master 1500, and my original 5-0-5. I also picked up a second 5-0-5 and a 5-10. Of them all, my original 5-0-5 is hands down the best, followed by the 5-10. The 1500 is good for things 200 yards and closer, but not precision by any means. The other 5-0-5 is the one that does not settle quick enough, and the GemPro requires constant re-checking by removing and replacing the pan.
          Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
          -Winston Churchill

Comment

While I have a digital scale, I don't trust it for consistent accuracy. I check it against one of my beam scales (Lyman/Ohaus D5, RCBS 5-10) and every time I lift the pan and replace it I make sure it says "00.00". I've collected several powder scales, 2 old oil dampened, 3 older magnetic dampened, and 3 "modern" beam scales. The oil dampened ones are still accurate even though one is well over 50 years old, but too messy as I return my tools to their storage place after each use. I had a recommended digital scale that cost me about $150.00 and it lasted a bit less than 18 months. It got to the point I could not calibrate it (I followed the directions to the letter) and could not find a working service center. I've had a Lee Safety Scale for 30 years and it still can weigh a hair from a gnat's butt, and a Lyman/Ohaus of undetermined age that is just as accurate. Needless to say, my experience tells me a digital is fine for weighing bullets, but must be closely watched and "tared" often if used for powder measuring. All my beam scales are simple, reliable and accurate...
            I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

Just not sure of my digital and what to load some on the dot amo so go beam and check it.
              Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

I just checked my digital scale I have a 100g weight and it showed 99.86g and I can't get it to O. off 14
                How much would that be off per 5g or would it be off 14g at 100g and would that be 7g at 50g ?
                And what would that be grains with 5gr?
                If it's not worth answering this then don't.
                After reading it back to myself my only thought was LOL.
                Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

Sorry olyeller, But the link says "Valid for purchases made 03-01-18 through 03-31-18. Rebate materials must be uploaded or postmarked by 04-30-18." Too bad, that would have been a nice bonus and more than paid for the shipping.
                  Yeah, but without the rebate it still is just $81.99
                  Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                  He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomes View Post
                    I just checked my digital scale I have a 100g weight and it showed 99.86g and I can't get it to O. off 14
                    How much would that be off per 5g or would it be off 14g at 100g and would that be 7g at 50g ?
                    And what would that be grains with 5gr?
                    If it's not worth answering this then don't.
                    After reading it back to myself my only thought was LOL.
                    Maybe that your 100 gr weight actually weighs 99.86 gr. You never know unless you have a certificate verifying weight.
                    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I have a kitchen scale that came in at 100g
                      Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

The kitchen scale is likely less accurate than any beam scale. As for the numbers you posted, I will simply say if you cannot get a scale to zero, you can't trust it.
                        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                        -Winston Churchill

Comment

Get both types for $60 and stay under budget. The Lee can be finicky at the start of a reloading session but once dialed in it makes me happy. The Frankford is nice as a double check but it doesn't like big changes in ambient temperature; it sometimes makes me unhappy. My workflow is to get close on the Frankford, transfer to the Lee, then trickle to the exact load. I won't trust a digital scale as my only source of measurement after experiencing how temperature changes can create consistency problems.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...grain-capacity

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...DYR7WC4PZ6C2AB
                          Last edited by m1ckDELTA; 2 weeks ago.
                          "Truth is for people who choose ideas over ideology." ~ Optofonik™

Comment

I don't trust it. But for 9mm target loads just to check if it is in the range of lite loads it's ok.
                            Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

digital scale RIP Just died. Please shed a tear.
                              Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Can I get replacement part for a Lyman beam scale?
                                I'm missing the leveling part that uses the eccentric lobe.
                                Vietnam Vet USMC

Comment

Working...
                                X