No announcement yet.

RCBS Pro 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their latest model is the Pro Chucker 7, they did not go on with the APS-system but with a safety tube system... and the press body is not made from steel anymore
    There almost always is a way to do things better, more often than not by simplifying.

Comment

On one of the forums, someone once posted the name of a spring company that has lighter springs for our need. Anyone remember the name of that place? Or, I can start searching on my own once I get home, after measuring the spring. Or, I could ask Larry at RCBS if he has something to suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemyers View Post
        On one of the forums, someone once posted the name of a spring company that has lighter springs for our need. Anyone remember the name of that place? Or, I can start searching on my own once I get home, after measuring the spring. Or, I could ask Larry at RCBS if he has something to suggest.
        See post 12 in this thread???? There are two links in the post, it's the bottom one.
        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

See post 12 in this thread???? There are two links in the post, it's the bottom one.
          I ordered that upgrading set for the retention lock-up, but would not be surprised when I still would have to tweak the spring to my press; it all depends on individual things like how much wear is there in the central hole from use etc., like I wrote before, I like to tinker with that press because it is made of steel and metal, working on my Dillon 650 with its lot of pastic parts does not appeal to me very much but I am lucky in that way that the Dillon does not "ask" for much work
          There almost always is a way to do things better, more often than not by simplifying.

Comment

Rockydog - I went to the eBay page, and tried to find feedback. I found lots and lots of posts from what seemed like the same person saying how great the seller was, but I couldn't find a single post from a RCBS Pro 2000 user.

He is selling what looks like a marble and a spring. I see nothing wrong with the ball that comes with the Pro 2000 - I just want a lighter spring. When I get home, I'll measure my spring, photograph it as best I can, and see what I can find. I'll start with Wolff Springs, then move on to the bigger suppliers for anything springy.

Cutting off a couple of coils will reduce the spring pressure, but not the spring rate.

Comment

This is what I got back from John at Wolff Springs:

========================
              Hello Sir,

Thank you for your email and inquiry. We don’t have, that we are aware of, a spring for the RCBS Pro 2000 reloading press.

About all I can offer is to conduct an inventory database search for a similar spring or perhaps one slightly less strong. I’ll need the following specifications / measurements, in decimal inches (.000), to properly conduct the search:

1. Spring OD (outside diameter)
              2. Wire size or spring ID (inside diameter)
              3. Total number of coils
              4. Overall length of the existing spring.

Sorry we can’t be of more assistance at this time.

Regards,
              John Andrews
              Wolff Gunsprings

========================

I won't be back in Miami so I can take any measurements, but maybe one of you can send John an email, and save some time? I offered to send him a sample spring, but that won't be until the end of June. If any of you can do that, he might find exactly what we need, no cutting off coils.

Comment

Today I got the retention ball+spring in the mail, could not wait and went upstairs to get it installed; it is a 200% improvement! The shell-plate now locks positive without any jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Tummers View Post
                  Today I got the retention ball+spring in the mail, could not wait and went upstairs to get it installed; it is a 200% improvement! The shell-plate now locks positive without any jump.
                  Is that only because of the lighter spring, or is there also some change in the ball itself? Does the spring feel noticeably softer than the stock spring?

Comment

The ball has the same size as the steel ball but is featherlight, the spring is notably softer, what happens now is that the auto-advancing mechanism "Brings" the shell-plate to the next station without letting it jump into position like the original did. I did not tweak the spring, just lubricated the central bolt and mounted it.

Comment

If it works just as well with the stock ball, I think I would prefer to use it. The stock ball lasts "forever". It sounds like the results are good, but to me that's because of the lighter spring, rather than a (plastic?) featherlight ball. .....maybe I worry too much, but the rest of the press is so rugged and durable, I don't want to lose any of that quality.

Comment

I do not know from what material the ball has been made, but lighter is better in this case I think; the weight of the ball in itself already causes the shell-plate to make a slight jump when locking into place, I clipped the original spring in such a way that it had just enough force to hold the shell-plate into position, but this combination of other-lighter- spring and lighter ball makes it really smooth moving, I will find out how long the ball will do its job, is it worn, I still have the lighter spring to start tweeking with....For now I am very satisfied and I am looking to find somebody who can alter the aluminium cam with a steel part to prevent cracking at the attaching hole.

Comment

Absolutely no rush, but please take a photo sometime of the cam, pointing out where it fails, near the attaching hole. When I get home, I'll check it out. Right now, I find it impossible to visualize. Do you have a broken part you can take a photo of?

Comment

I will make a photo as soon as I will be working upstairs again. Can you sent me a pm with an email-adres to sent the pictures to?

Comment

Sure - doing so now....

....oops...
                              • Can not send message. User Paul Tummers has exceeded their private message quota.
                              Last edited by mikemyers; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemyers View Post
                                Sure - doing so now....

....oops...
                                • Can not send message. User Paul Tummers has exceeded their private message quota.
                                Please do try again, I made my message centre empty.

Comment

Working...
                                X