Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With all this brass cleaning talk ..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With all this brass cleaning talk ..........

I think my RCBS buzz bucket is about to give up the ghost ............ may have to invest in something else. Any ideas ........ Should I try a rotary tumbler instead of buying another buzz bucket ??? With any luck I'll even have running water from the end of August onwards
    The H in ENGINEERING stands for Happiness

If mine ever dies, another one will replace it.

I do not see any value to me in the newer fad methods.

Comment

I have owned my Hornady since 1993. Still motors on, and it may outlive me. No idea what the current quality is. I have a FA pin tumbler, and picked up a Hornady Hot Tub maybe 8 or so months ago. The tub gets used more than anything since it was purchased. I had to do some hunting around but eventually ran across replacement metal pans (it only comes with one). I bought 2 additional pans and modified them so they clear the tabs on the outer edges of the unit allowing me to run 3 pans with brass/solution and tap water in the main unit. Sometimes I fill all three, sometimes I rotate them out of the center spot with just one in the unit at all times. The Tub plus a FA brass dryer puts me firm in lazy man zone. The thing I like most about the Tub is if you don't overdue the process, you can get read what is left on the inside of the necks and factor that in to your brass sorting - light scoring and necks that hold carbon more than others are easy to spot. The pin tumbler makes the brass pretty but is is also the most time consuming - I save the majority of my semi-auto brass and clean it in the pin tumbler outside during the warmer months. The buzz bucket does a decent job but I refuse to put my prime brass in it so it is mostly used for 'oh I want to load that' pistol brass.
      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
      -Winston Churchill

Comment

I bought my vibratory tumbler from Midway around 1993-1994. It even had a recall for fire problems. Never sent it in. Still working great. If it craps out, don't know what I'll get. I have a RCBS tumbler that I got for moly coating bullets does a great job on that but have never been satisfied with how it cleans. It does good on wet cleaning but don't care for it.
        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I primarily use a Dillon 750, and an old Frankford Arsenal as a backup. Have 2 Lymans I'm getting ready to sell.
          "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Lyman buzz buckets or tumblers Charley ?? If the latter I would be interested.

Comment

I have two Lyman buzz buckets and a Dillon, the smaller of the two they were selling back then. There are times when I do large quantities of brass and they're usually run on an overnight basis. I like shiny brass. he Lyman's have been trouble free but the Dillon has fried the motor at least once. Cost me $50 plus shipping to get it fixed. Runs OK now. Hope they hold out as I have a big batch of 30-06 brass that needs cleaning.
              Paul B.

Comment

I have some 300WM brass tumbling in my FA pin tumbler as I type. IMO a cleaner case cannot be obtained than from these wet tumblers, inside and out, primer pocket to inside of the case neck, shiny as new.
                The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
                Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
                  Lyman buzz buckets or tumblers Charley ?? If the latter I would be interested.
                  Tumblers. One with a short cord, and one with no lid.
                  "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Went from rotary to vibrator and back to rotary. For me, I'll probably die still using a Thumler's Tumbler Model B, wet or dry. Less noise, less dust, and long-life.

Comment

I am in Charly

Comment

Bought my first buzz bucket (great name) years ago when Lyman first brought them out. Mine died a couple of years ago, bought another (Lyman). I use corn cob media and I deal with the plugged flash holes, no big deal to me. Tried a number of additives. Last spring I could not find any locally. Tossed in a spoonful of Mother's wheel cleaner and like the results. While not necessary I do like shinny brass.

Comment

Use 20/40 corn and eliminate the issue of plugged primer pockets, If some flake of grain makes it into the flash hole, the decapping pin eliminates it without my having to do anything.

Comment

Still using my Lyman 1200 I bought in mid-80s, if or when it dies, I'll replace with another buzz bucket.

Comment

My 1200 has been going since the early 80's. A spring came out a couple of years ago. I called Lyman and they told my they couldn't send on as the instillation was to technical. Told the representative I had spent part of my life working on electrical systems on Navy aircraft so it shouldn't be a problem. Would not send. Still using it, it just sits lopsided.
                              Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Working...
                              X