Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With all this brass cleaning talk ..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a Lyman 600 that I bought used for $10 at a gun show about 15 years ago. Don't know how old it was when I got it but it's tumbled at least 3-5000 a year since I bought it. Broke the stem that slides over the central bolt shortly after I got it. Patched it up with a bit of JB Weld. If I ever need another it will likely be a Lyman. RD
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Been using the same Lyman 1200 model since I bought it in 1980. Reliable would be an understatement.

Use Arm & Hammer Naturals kitty litter made of corn and pine grinding. Found in the pet section at Walmart, cheap. When it starts to get dull, a small amount of Brasso into the mix, and good as new.
      Remember, the last thing a man wants to do is the last thing he does.

Comment

I like the tumblers. I got a Frankford Arsenal one before the smaller bench version came out. I may actually still get one of those for when I just want a small batch... otherwise I'm waiting around to shoot enough to make a large enough batch, or I'm wasting time and energy sorting brass a second or third time and filling the whole tumbler and straining/rinsing it off well then drying a bigger batch takes longer...

If I could go back and it was around at the time; I'd get the little tumbler.

Comment

If anyone has a Lyman 1200 they are going to trash please let me know. Need one of the bottom springs so would be happy to pay shipping.
          Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cop View Post
            If anyone has a Lyman 1200 they are going to trash please let me know. Need one of the bottom springs so would be happy to pay shipping.
            Do you have the broken spring? If so, or, if I knew the wire diameter of the old spring and the uncompressed length, there is a local hardware store here that has about 100 different springs in a display as well as others in stock. A pic with a coin for perspective and spring dimensions might do it too. I owe you a couple anyway. Let me know. RD
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
              IShould I try a rotary tumbler instead of buying another buzz bucket ??? With any luck I'll even have running water from the end of August onwards
              Hardly seems worth it seeing as you'll be needing to thaw the water again come the end of September!

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

I started with a dillon 750 and it served me well for a few years but was convinced to get a wet tumbler. I bought a Big Dawg wet tumbler with SS media. It holds alot more than the 750 by about 4x., and makes the brass much shinier. But Ive gon back to the dillon because its a PITA to seperate the pins/rinse/ dry. I may go back some day to the wet but for now ive been AR/Pistol plinking and no one cares about how shiny my brass is

Comment

Thanks Rocky but I have no idea what happened to the spring.
                  Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
                    I think my RCBS buzz bucket is about to give up the ghost ............ may have to invest in something else. Any ideas ........ Should I try a rotary tumbler instead of buying another buzz bucket ??? With any luck I'll even have running water from the end of August onwards
                    I traded up my lyman vib for a frankford arsenal tumbler with pins and love it. Never going back to vibe. The price is right also.

Comment

I have a Lyman 1200 that I got in 86, and it's still going strong. But about 6 years ago I got a Thumler's model B. The 1200 is now used primarily for Boron Nitride bullet coating, and the Model B for cleaning brass. Cleaner brass inside and out, no primer pocket cleaning required, less case prep required.

Just my .02 cents.

Pete
                      Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Comment

Working...
                      X