Giraud power trimer / Time to shoot the 6BR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giraud power trimer / Time to shoot the 6BR

I have not made my mind up but I'm looking at the Giraud power trimmer,, Complete trimmer in one cartridge size $495 and Meplat trimmer cutting head $49 and Whidden Bullet pointing die system $240
    I would like to use it on my Home made bullets, I don't think the 105gr 6mm Berger Hybrid Target bullets need to be done.
    I may get to shoot my new rifle tomorrow, I'm hoping they will set up a 500yd target so i can work a load up for my 6BR I'm using what i have in house Remington 7 1/2 small BR primers
    Varget and new Laupa brass. I will start at 29.5 and go up one tenth until i find the best group. I was told it should group best around 2890 ft sec I will use Lab Radar and Camera.

I have the RCBS trimmer and Little Crow WFT,, I wonder if the Giraud power Trimmer is better than the WTF.
    Last edited by Randy C; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I don't know as the Giraud would do a better job but it obviously comes with more aftermarket options than the WFT. I don't know as my WFT does any better job than my Lee cutter. However the lee cutter is a pain to unscrew the just trimmed case and then tighten the new case in place. Lately I've been chucking the Lee cutter and gauge in the drill press and using a piece of steel plate on my drill press table as the gauge stop. Much faster with no change in case length compared to using the lock stud.
      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

Thank you I appreciate the advice,, it's only money, I can't wait to shoot some good groups.. Everything I have done was collected and come from here, THIS IS HOME WISH US GOOD GROUPS.

Comment

Comment

I have the Geraurd I use it for 223/556, 6.5 Creedmoor 30-30, 30 308 30-06, 300 Win Mag and a few more to I'm probably forgetting.
            I'll never look back. it's a phenomenal machine, plus or minus 1 thousands of an inch every time , trim-debur-chamfer in one shot and as fast or faster than anything out there.
            Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

The Giruad trimmer is a nice unit. If your goals are is strictly volume and polish you should love it. If your goals include the exact same amount of neck holding the bullet, and exact case OAL, These last two require measuring your fired brass shoulder and changing the die in accordance with your measured groups. If your not already doing this I can attest that it is a bit of a slow process especially if you are working with larger batches of brass. I am using the Wilson measuring system and Wilson case trimmer. I use either the Wilson or Redding inside chamfer tool depending on my mood and bullet being used, and the Wilson combo tool for debur. Chamfer and debur are quick as I simply don't believe much is needed. I follow up with steel wool for a nice polish. I will also say the since switching to inline seating dies the amount and consistency of chamfer have far less impact on concentricity.
              Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
              -Winston Churchill

Comment

My Custom Harrells full length size die with a 266 bushing Is tailored to my brass I'm getting two thousandths adjustment on my shoulder and my brass. 2000's neck tension seating bullets.

I've considered which is better trimming off the shoulder it could very a little, or trimming full length I would probably still be up or down a 1000s with my abilities.

I will be seating bullets for the first time today with my new Hydro Arbor press Lee Wilson micrometer dies and Berger 105 hybrid bullets
                Everything has been weighed and sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy C View Post
                  I have not made my mind up but I'm looking at the Giraud power trimmer,, Complete trimmer in one cartridge size $495 and Meplat trimmer cutting head $49 and Whidden Bullet pointing die system $240
                  I would like to use it on my Home made bullets, I don't think the 105gr 6mm Berger Hybrid Target bullets need to be done.
                  I may get to shoot my new rifle tomorrow, I'm hoping they will set up a 500yd target so i can work a load up for my 6BR I'm using what i have in house Remington 7 1/2 small BR primers
                  Varget and new Laupa brass. I will start at 29.5 and go up one tenth until i find the best group. I was told it should group best around 2890 ft sec I will use Lab Radar and Camera.
                  Randy,

I've owned a Giraud for over 12 years now. A very good tool if you are in need of processing large amounts of brass for the next apocalypse event, or, two gun action challenge match where military grade ammo is perfectly adequate.
                  But in my opinion, somewhat less the tool you may want for producing those super high accuracy, lovingly hand crafted long range loads. I simply never found that it produced the same level of trim accuracy/consistency as say the cheap-o Lee trim tool(s). Very Fast yes, super consistent nope.
                  This is due to the dependence upon indexing to the case shoulder, which can and is influenced simply by the inconsistency of how much pressure you may apply cycling one case over the next as well as small variations one case to the next. This error rate is, unfortunately, cumulative.

In short it is very fast machine at trimming cases. But again in my opinion it does not consistently produce cases trimmed to +- .0005" but more often than not, +- .003" on average.

GC
                  "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

Sounds good every body, I will stay away from it for now. I have the WTF for production work, My RCBS will fill in for a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X