What's the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference

I was speaking to a co-worker yesterday and the topic of small based dies came up. Of course, I have no experience with them so I kept the discussion short as to keep from stepping on my tongue over something I know nothing about. As I reload for 308 he was suggesting I invest in a small base resizing die. Is there a benefit of using a small base die for sizing, or would it be a waste of cash?
    "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

If you are recycling 308WIN brass from full auto weapon it might be something to look into. Otherwise, save your money unless you are having issues with chambering right now.
    It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

And another thing.....SB dies will shorten your case life due to being overworked.
      It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
      He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

If you're not having trouble now, why bother? Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Like was said above, if you should get a very smokin' deal on some brass that ran through a machine gun, then you might need a small base die. I load for several rifles in .308 and haven't needed one yet and one rifle is a custom job with a very tight chamber.
        Paul B.

Comment

Often useful when reloading for semi-autos, and pump (slide action), and lever rifles that lack the camming action of bolt rifles.

Comment

I'm thinking that if you have a rifle with a pretty tight chamber and if your sizing dies are maybe worn or not sizing the case enough, you might have need for a small base die. I shoot a Garand and have loaded a bunch or "once fired, military" brass and never needed to size my cases any smaller than my RCBS dies. Same with my 308 bolt gun, I have used some "ex-military" 7.62x51 brass, some possibly used in machine guns that have been a bit tougher to size, but all have chambered OK in my Ruger...

As mentioned above, if you don't have a problem, don't try to fix one...
            I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

If a standard die works, there is NO gain to a SB die, and as noted above, some negatives.

I feed 2 308's and a .223 on once fired mostly GI brass, no SB dies here.

The .308 die sits above the caseholder about .012".
              The .223 die touches the caseholder firmly.

Comment

Wasn't really thinking of buying a set. Am more interested in their purpose. I do have the AR 10 but so far, my Forster competition sizing dies have been working great for it.
                "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

Comment

The SB is nothing but a slightly smaller ID full length sizing die. All it is.

Comment

I have to use a SB (aka, match) die for my M21. Springfield intentionally used a reamer that requires it. Pretty sure a standard dies would prevent the case from ejecting so I don't dare try it.
                    Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                    -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by OKLHUNTER View Post
                      I was speaking to a co-worker yesterday and the topic of small based dies came up. Of course, I have no experience with them so I kept the discussion short as to keep from stepping on my tongue over something I know nothing about. As I reload for 308 he was suggesting I invest in a small base resizing die. Is there a benefit of using a small base die for sizing, or would it be a waste of cash?
                      There are lots of opinions both ways, but I find that I need a small base die set for .223/5.56, especially as I'm not above a couple hundred rounds of once fired pickup brass. My 7600 Whelen has a squeaky tight chamber, and needs a SB die to make it 100% reliable. I've pared my number of rounds down these days, I only load for .223, 7-08, .30-30, .300 Ham'r, and .35 Whelen, (and the plain vanilla .38, .357 and .44M). I have a SB die for every one of the rifle rounds, and sometimes I need to use them. All of my AR ammo gets a SB die.

Because every round I've ever loaded for has sooner or later needed a batch of cases squeezed more than my regular die would resize.
                      Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by TMan51 View Post

There are lots of opinions both ways, but I find that I need a small base die set for .223/5.56, especially as I'm not above a couple hundred rounds of once fired pickup brass. My 7600 Whelen has a squeaky tight chamber, and needs a SB die to make it 100% reliable. I've pared my number of rounds down these days, I only load for .223, 7-08, .30-30, .300 Ham'r, and .35 Whelen, (and the plain vanilla .38, .357 and .44M). I have a SB die for every one of the rifle rounds, and sometimes I need to use them. All of my AR ammo gets a SB die.

Because every round I've ever loaded for has sooner or later needed a batch of cases squeezed more than my regular die would resize.
                        And at that point, you most certainly DO need a SB die, yes indeed.

I have not seen that point arrive, so I do not own any SB dies.

Comment

Originally posted by olyeller View Post
                          If you are recycling 308WIN brass from full auto weapon it might be something to look into. Otherwise, save your money unless you are having issues with chambering right now.
                          Agreed. I own small base does but very Rarely use them. They are not needed Most of the time and will shorten brass life. I never use them for any of My semi autos and they all function 100% otherwise I would use the small base dies.
                          When the hammer drops the BS stops.

Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience.

You won't know until You Actually try it.

The impossible just takes longer.

Comment

Working...
                          X