Leveling base for beam scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling base for beam scale

Was sure I'd seen a pic or two from some here who've made/use a leveling base for their beam scale but can't seem to find the post. For those who have, can you share your preference of material? Found some 3/8" plate aluminum that ought to work well.

Just finished a new loading bench that is close, but not quite, level.

Unless it is extreme I would think the leveling feet on the scale itself should be sufficient. Is part of your goal to raise the scale off the bench?
    Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    -Winston Churchill

Comment

Golong is correct, if the adjustments are in the range of the feet, that's all you need. Even front to back (along the axis of the pivot) is not overly critical in the ranges we typically need. Now, getting it up off the bench is meritorious if for no other reason than reducing the potential for mechanical damage. Gotta add that if you are using aluminum, some kind of anti skid surface would be advised.

-Remote locations are cheap insurance.
      -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Because the shelf I mount scale sags and I could not level the scaleI made up a base of 3/4” plywood with leveling screws. Note the picture. I have very small area to work with so my bench gets cluttered.
        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

I level plywood base first then level level the scale on plywood W/out beam. Set beam to 0 and place on scale, if beam ok it will balance on scale, if it does not balance the add or subtract weight until it is balanced. Need to add or subtract from ballast in bottom of piece holding the powder pan. This is also called beam scale tune up. You tube has videos on it.
          "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

If you need to make a base, I would use an HDPE cutting board. They are not slick, they are rigid, then can be drilled and tapped (coarse thread), and can handle cleanup using whatever method you choose.
            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Built a modified version of the NRMA bench without the cabinet (will be added later) and want a raised platform to set my scale on (5-10 or 10-10). Am thinking of using some MDO for the base so might add adjustable feet to facilitate leveling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rdysmall.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	844542

Comment

Still using a chunk of granite I got from someone redoing their counter tops. Used it for my beam scales, now the RCBS 1500 Chargemaster uses it.
                “Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”
                ― Franz Kafka

Comment

Working...
                X