RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit

New to reloading and just purchased my first reloading kit. After research and reading Damnedannoyed's piece on reloading equipment choices I felt this was the best fit for me. By the way Thank You Charley for recommending Damnedannoyed’s article. If you haven’t read it yet I do recommend it. I’ll be reloading 9mm, .45acp and .223/5.56. I’ve ordered dies (except for .223/5.56), shell holders, case trimmer, case prep center, case tumbler and some case cleaning media. Outside of the actual reloading components is there anything I’m missing in order to start reloading upon arrival of said items?

My philosophy is don't buy any tools until you need them. If you have all the basics you can get started. Start with either the 9mm or the 45, whichever one has components most readily available. Do not sit down and try to prep or load 200 rounds in your first session. Just take maybe 10 cases and work through the brass prep steps with them. Load a few dummy rounds, rounds without primer and powder. Make sure they feed from your mags and chamber correctly. Make sure you understand how to set up and adjust your dies properly. It's much easier to fix a mistake if you only made it on a handful of cases. Take your time, be patient, and enjoy the learning process.
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

Debating liberals is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess the pigeon will poop all over the board, knock over all the pieces, and then fly back to it's flock like it's victorious.

Comment

A good set of calipers are very helpful.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Originally posted by DesertMarine View Post
        I would call the calipers necessary. If nothing else you will need them to set your bullet seating depth. And this is a case where more expensive is not always better. You can get good calipers for 25.00. I stay away from the electronic ones because I find the batteries never last long. A couple weeks at best, unless they have improved them in the last few years.
        Last edited by Rickf1985; 08-06-2020, 09:44.

Comment

Reloading kits have pluses and minuses. All of the RCBS kid have their case lube and lube pad. I'd much rather use a can of Imperial case lube. The trimmer is another item I don't use. I like the Lee trimmers...inexpensive, simple, and work well. I'd rather save money on what I won't use, and spend it on components
          "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I agree with Charley's Imperial sizing wax recommendation. Make sure that your 9mm and 45ACP sizing dies have carbide inserts. I think all new dies come with carbide inserts. Older dies may not. Non carbide dies require that cases be lubed. You can skip lube with carbide dies. (Bottlenecked rifle dies cannot use carbide dies and will need to be lubed.) Be extremely careful when setting up the carbide dies. Contact between the shellholder and carbide dies can crack the dies. Rifle cases on the other hand must come in full contact with the die mouth and many rifle dies need the press handle to actually contact the die and the press handle to "cam over" to achieve SAAMI specs. Once you get your ammo set in the .223 you may not need the cam over setting. RD
            People will forget your name, forget where they met you and forget the details of a conversation that you had, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark Ed View Post
              My philosophy is don't buy any tools until you need them. If you have all the basics you can get started. Start with either the 9mm or the 45, whichever one has components most readily available. Do not sit down and try to prep or load 200 rounds in your first session. Just take maybe 10 cases and work through the brass prep steps with them. Load a few dummy rounds, rounds without primer and powder. Make sure they feed from your mags and chamber correctly. Make sure you understand how to set up and adjust your dies properly. It's much easier to fix a mistake if you only made it on a handful of cases. Take your time, be patient, and enjoy the learning process.
              Great info thank you.

Comment

Couple mentions regarding calipers. Any certain 1 I should avoid or go for?

Comment

On calipers, I have two Mititoyos, one analog and the other digital. Both are excellent albeit pricier that some of the plastic ones and I would imagine more accurate. The analog reads to three places and the digital to four places.

I've used the plain old Rochucker sine about 1970/71 and still use it to this day. I bought a Rockchucker Supreme as it made loading the .375 H&H a lot easier and it was almost impossible to load the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby on the standard Rockchucker due to the length of the cartridges. I find the throw on the lever to be a bit too long for my comfort. Probably my biggest gripe is certain parts are plastic and a bit fragile. They came broken when I bought mine. RCBS did make it good by sending the replacement parts.

JMHO, but unless the OP plans to load some very large cartridges, he might be best suited to something like the RCBS Partner kit. That will handle just about anything except large and long cartridges for African game or the .50 BMG. I say that because I think the regular Rockchucker may have been discontinued.

You might want to try and get copies of all the latest loading manual. Every one is a treasure trove of good information. I buy every new one they put out and it gets interesting to look at something in say the Hornady first edition #1 manual compared to the current #10 edition I have them all from #1 to #10. Same with all the Nosler manuals. I have all but two of the earlier Speer manuals and all of the Sierras. Quite a few Lyman's as well. Everyone worth it weight in gunpowder/bullets and brass.
                  Paul B.

Comment

Go to the reloading internet sites they normally have good inexpensive calipers, both analog and digital. I use a digital from Sinclair Intl and an analog from Sears about 40 years old.

Comment

My caliper is a Central tool and die, same one I used when I was machining engines 40 years ago. The analog calipers are pretty hard to beat, there is not a lot that can go wrong with them and they will take a lot more abuse then you are going to give it in the reloading room.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertMarine View Post
                        +1 here. RCBS has a good set and you don't have to sell blood to afford them.
                        "There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."

-Charlton Heston

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
                          Reloading kits have pluses and minuses. All of the RCBS kid have their case lube and lube pad. I'd much rather use a can of Imperial case lube. The trimmer is another item I don't use. I like the Lee trimmers...inexpensive, simple, and work well. I'd rather save money on what I won't use, and spend it on components
                          Yep, which is why I'm not really a "kit" guy/fan.

I probably spent a little more piecemeal item getting, but I got what I wanted and needed, not stuff I didn't.

Beyond the kits (they ARE "functional"), I agree that Calipers ARE a highly useful near-requirement tool to add.
                          So many questions, asked here and elsewhere, would be self-answerable if people would just start by measuring things and comparing to specifications, and yes, today, there is no need to drop a hundy on Calipers.
                          I did finally "wear out" 2 sets bought at Harber Freight 2 decades ago, BUT, they were working fine, what died was the little tabs that held the battery cover on. No battery cover, no worky.
                          So, that 20 years of use cost me $1 a year or thereabouts, so I went back and bought 2 more of them.

Comment

I've been using a Shars brand calipers for 25 years or better. Always agrees with both of my micrometers. I like the dial calipers. Easy to read and no batteries. It just seems to me that I can trust what I read with my eyes instead of getting a digital readout. Here's a link to their site. https://www.shars.com/6-dial-caliper $28.36.

Seems their is some type of 25% coupon out there too but I didn't confirm that but here's that link: https://www.hotdeals.com/coupons/shars-coupon-code
                            People will forget your name, forget where they met you and forget the details of a conversation that you had, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

I think I paid $39 for my digital from Sinclair International and around $70 for my Sears around 30 years ago. Sinclair one around 10 years or so.
                              They both agree pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X