Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

EVERY weapon is loaded!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVERY weapon is loaded!

I can only imagine that if you handle weapons for long enough it is bound to happen at some point...

I pulled a rifle that I have not used in some time out of the safe with the intent of giving it a quick wet patch down the barrel and a wipe down. The last time the rifle was out of the safe was over a year ago when I was scouting for cats - it was not fired, so it was not cleaned. I remember covering a lot of miles, up and down several peaks.

I put it in the cleaning vise and popped the clip out - rounds in the clip! Oh, odd I am thinking. I then pull the bolt back and eject a live round :homer:

So, what I had is a rifle that I expect to be unloaded only it had a round chambered with the safety off. I sure am glad I never put my finger on a trigger without clearing first, but this was pretty crazy in my book. The only thing I can think of is that I was tired after the hike and not thinking - no friggin excuse - at the very least I should have cleared the rifle immediately after I noticed the clip was in it. Counting my blessings that it did not turn into an incident.
    Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    -Winston Churchill

My father owned a gun shop when I was a kid, I couldn't count how many times people brought in "Unloaded" guns for him to repair/look at.

My cousin was given a pistol on Xmas (he was about 16 years old), he was showing it to some friends. They thought it was unloaded and one of his friends pointed it at him and pulled the trigger, they buried him the next week.

One can never be TO SAFE.

Comment

You folowed the three rules that applied to your situation, out of the four rules for safe handling.

1. All guns are always (considered) loaded.
      2. Never cover anything with the muzzle that you are not willing go destroy.
      3. Finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
      4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it. (Didn't apply in this case, obviously).

Of course, not sure about the "clip" reference...
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Dad's first two safety rules.

1) Treat ALL guns as if they are loaded, Period no exceptions.

2) Don't point a gun at anybody or anything that you don't intend to kill or destroy.

He also taught us to clear the action each and every time you pick up a weapon.
        Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

Elmer Keith said that unloaded guns made him nervous. I don't have kids running around so if you see a handgun in my place you can assume it's actually loaded. Rifles or shotguns out of the safe should also be assumed to be actually loaded. This does not follow NRA published recommendations and I don't advise anyone else to do the same.
          Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

My "doh" moment came when I was in my early 20's. I had been out shooting handguns with some friends. We would empty a mag, then reload, wash, rinse, repeat. The day was spent and we headed home. I walked in the door, and as was usual practice, I unholstered my 9mm, racked the slide back to check my weapon, and, almost in slow motion, a live round flew out, up and onto the floor. I count myself very fortunate to have learned this lesson without having a catastrophic mishap. I thought I was practicing safe handgun etiquette, but was so wrong. I check more frequently now, but still treat each weapon as if it were loaded.
            The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
            Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.

Comment

I cleaned my 40 a couple years back. I was in the process of putting it back in the dresser I dropped a live round in the chamber sent the slide home and slapped the mag in. I was in the process of holstering the gun when I somehow made the mistake and pulled the trigger, accidentally. Had not put the safety on an made a mistake, actually two. Put a round through my bedroom wall into the brick, almost shat myself.

Accidents can happen extremely fast. I've been handling guns my entire life and trust me you can never be to careful. Mistakes do happen.

I also agree with PlainsmAns statement. Most of my guns are unloaded and the hammer dropped, but don't always count on that. Which I Do treat my guns as if they were loaded because most are.

Charley's I also like your 4 rules well said.

Comment

@Charley, clip is me using slang for magazine.
                Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                -Winston Churchill

Comment

For me it wouldn't be at all surprising to find that I had put one of my firearms away loaded, that's just how I am with my firearms. But I also treat all firearms as loaded, so it's of no issue what so ever. At present I'm fairly certain that most of my guns are loaded right now, no reason for them to not be in my home.

There's been a couple of times when I've discharged a firearm before I was ready, but in every instance the firearm was pointing in a totally and intended safe direction.

SMOA

Comment

HighBC wrote:
                    For me it wouldn't be at all surprising to find that I had put one of my firearms away loaded, that's just how I am with my firearms. But I also treat all firearms as loaded, so it's of no issue what so ever. At present I'm fairly certain that most of my guns are loaded right now, no reason for them to not be in my home.

There's been a couple of times when I've discharged a firearm before I was ready, but in every instance the firearm was pointing in a totally and intended safe direction.

SMOA
                    Ditto!! :thumbs:
                    Stay safe and Practice often

Comment

Best advice ever.
                      I was taught to not receive a weapon without the action being open and empty and muzzle up.

A pal of mine, a very "experienced" gun owner, tried to hand me a 30.06 he pulled out of his huge meat freezer filled with rifles. I stepped back and asked him to hold it muzzle up, drop the mag and open the bolt and check it. He looked at me with disdain, but did so, and out popped a loaded and very live round.

He is more careful now and I left his home with the same number of holes in my body that I had when i walked in.

Ya NEVER know.

Comment

As a rigid rule, I will not pass a weapon to anyone without opening the action. Good for me knowing, and good for the receiving person, even if rank amateurs and don't know it. (Haven't been surprised. Yet.)
                        -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
                        -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

A sword is always sharp. An empty weapon is a paper-weight.
                          Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

Plainsman wrote:
                            A sword is always sharp. An empty weapon is a paper-weight.
                            :thumbs:
                            In knowledgeable hands, paperweights are un-needed. In MT headed hands, loaded weapons are dangerous. (MT headed ignorance is not the same as stupid.)
                            -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
                            -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Well my short story.
                              I was about 16 and went out back with my JC Higgins (Sears) 22lr. I loaded the tube with 10 rounds each string until I fired 50. Came in to clean it and was setting on my bed. I took the mag plunger out and worked the action about 10 time and looked in the chamber as I did. I looked down the sights across the hall at the toilet and then thought better and pointed the muzzle at the bed. Well you guessed it when i pulled the trigger. I shot a hole through the bed and in to a rolled up sleeping bag. That is when I had an AH-HA moment, the light came on as it were. I did not watch the bolt close on an empty chamber and never point any firearm at anything you are not willing to loose or destroy!

Rod
                              Of all things I have lost my mind is the thing I will miss the most!

Comment

Working...
                              X