Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

What is an extended shell holder used for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an extended shell holder used for?

I got an email blast from an on line supplier who is closing out RCBS reloading equipment. The had listed "extended shell holders" which look like a 1" shell holder. What are they used for? I'm guessing for their ram mounted priming tool?

From RCBS:

The RCBS® Competition Extended Shell Holder allows reloaders to work with short cartridges when using the RCBS Competition Seater Die. It’s made of hardened steel and is black oxide coated. Note: Extended Shell Holders do not have a hole drilled out to decap brass during sizing. Note: Only for use with the Competition Seater Die.
    That's the limit of my knowledge on the subject....
    Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

I have one, and have for 30 years used it for loading short cartridges. It limits you press stroke. Mine is drilled for depriming; but can't be used to prime because the standard primer arm is too short.

Basically it shortens the stroke on sizing short cases.

Comment

An extended shell holder is necessary with certain short dies. For example, the length of my .38/45 case sizing die is shorter than the thickness of the bridge of my loading presses. Thus, even with the dies in place flush with top of bridge, which is necessary, the bottom end is still enclosed in the threaded area of the bridge and not reached by a standard shell holder. The extended shell holder reaches into the hole and contacts the die. Hope this explains.

Comment

For an extended shell.

I couldn't help it. I was DNA'd with the rare smart aleck gene. It made my 6 years of high school a whole lotta fun for my classmates and me; however, my teachers and principal didn't see it the same way. They didn't like my attitude. I didn't like their attendance policy. That made us even.

Comment

Working...
          X