No announcement yet.

Tumbling Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the cabelas brand corn cob and metalic case polish and i also polish after i trim to get any brass shaving out, my last trip to the range i shot some .223 i knew had some shavings in them the the shot out as sparts

Comment

Originally posted by nocturnalloader View Post
      I like the cabelas brand corn cob and metalic case polish and i also polish after i trim to get any brass shaving out, my last trip to the range i shot some .223 i knew had some shavings in them the the shot out as sparts
      That's actually what I wound up going with this first time around. I like the job it did in about 3 hours of tumbling

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark Ed View Post
        My actual cleaning process is this:

Deprime with a universal depriming die
        Citric acid bath with Lemishine and Dawn dish soap
        Clean water rinse
        Dry the outsides of the batch with an old towel (if you're married you'll understand why you use an old towel)
        Tumble with walnut media which will also dry the insides.
        My own prepped brass just gets tumbled before decapping ad sizing.

But for pickup brass: I'll look for some Lemishine.

I have used Dawn with a bit of vinegar for cases with a lot of grit or dirt on board, as that will trash a set of dies. I rinse with boiling water, and drain right after. The heat helps dry out the brass, which I spin in a retired salad spinner.

What polish do you use? I've added Remington 10X bore cleaner to cob media, and it perks up the shine real well, at least for several cycles.

Seems like a lot of extra messing around, but for people that want clean shiny brass, (which everyone knows works the best :-), the extra effort works well.
        Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Speaking from the viewpoint of a wacky OCD person, the clean shiny brass casings while desirable, are certainly not necessary. Just tumble them up, reload them, shoot them and start all over again. Shiny brass has zero impact on the process except to make lots more work. I use walnut shells and a dab of auto polish. Brass is clean and has a nice shine. Of course, that gets messed up when I spray on the case lube, so don’t sweat over trying to get factory new brass finish, it doesn’t matter. Invest your time in actually reloading and shooting !!
          “It’s better to have a gun and not need it, rather than need a gun and not have it”

.380, 9mm, .38, .357, .45acp, .45 long Colt, .40, .223 / 5.56

NRA RSO
          Concealed Handgun License

Comment

When I don't have time to Wet Tumble in SS Pins, I use my vibratory tumbler with the Lizard bedding. I add a couple of teaspoons of NuFinish Car Polish. It shines the cases up nicely, and prevents them from tarnishing so quickly. I even throw my wet cleaned cases (after they are dried) into this to help prevent tarnishing as fast.
            NRA RSO
            50 BMG, My Long Distance Provider
            Never anger with a man that can Take You Out from another Zip Code

Comment

Working...
            X