Tumbling Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffG View Post
    Just an aside, I saw this in the floor cleaning supplies aisle in Wall Mart. It had "large batch brass separator " written all over it...
    Even comes with a large case lube brush ..... I like it

Comment

Using straight 'rouge' media really is messy for me.. the case inside and the extractor groove are red red red.. I mix it now adding only a little at a time.

lazs

Comment

This is an older post but I'll jump in. Someone mentioned OCD so I'll just start by saying, Yes I have OCD but I call it CDO because that is alphabetically correct. I use a vibratory polisher for my brass. I'll get to that in a minute. As I am leaving for the range, I fire up my RCBS Ultrasonic cleaner and start the heater. It takes an hour or so to warm up to 140* F. In the cleaner I have soft water, RCBS brass cleaner concentrate, and a touch of carwash. So, when I get home I deprime all my brass, separate it and throw it in the cleaner by caliber. 2x30 minute cycles later, the brass is super clean but dull. I towel dry it and then I anneal it. After I anneal, I run it through the neck sizing die with the .291 nitride bushing. I measure and inspect the case, If it's still in specs, it goes to the tumbler, if not it takes a detour to the trimmer. I use the Lyman red media in the tumbler but I add white jewlers rouge and a touch of caranuba wax. I tumble overnight so I dont have to listen to it. It's a 3 day process for me if I am shooting multiple calibers. If it's just me and my 6.5, its a one day event with just a few minutes the next day just to blow out the primer pockets and put away. The brass always looks new, has a good annealed life span, and most importantly, is easy to inspect for defects.

Comment

Still using Walnut blasting media from HF and Brasso

Comment

I've used vibratory (both corncob and walnut media), and ultra sonic. I now don't use anything but a stainless pin tumbler. I don't think there's any more work involved than there is in the other methods. Especially when you consider that you do not have to do any work to the pockets--they come clean as a whistle. I do move the cleaned brass from the tumbler, put it in a gallon bucket, pour hot water a bit over the cases and swish around-two to three times is it. I then move the brass to an old dehydrator that I "recycled" from the house-this will dry the cases inside and out.

Then, I'll check for length before neck sizing or full length sizing depending upon bolt or semi.
            I used to go skinny dipping, but now all I do is chunky dunk.

DirtyDingus

Comment

I use walnut shell media with Midway Brass Polish, cleans and polishes. I always use a bore brush to clean necks on rifle brass, then dip the neck in mica and resize. I've always used Lee case lube because it won't damage primers or powder. Sometimes I use a Q-tip to lube the inside of the case mouth slightly before the mica. I've also got some steel roller bearing media that I use for dirty cases, but if you like a case that looks like new your better off using walnut and polish.

Comment

Using the SS media tumbler also reduces the need to clean the primer pockets as well. Leaves them nice and clean(and shiny), as well as the inside of the case.
                The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
                Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.

Comment

Bought one of those big plastic bottles of Lyman green media a 10 years agoo, I occasionally add some of it into the tumbler, bottle is still filled for 1/4 so it goes a long time, I clean polish after resizing but decap in a separate stage, it eliminates the trouble of getting media out of the flash-holes, the decapping pin does that job perfect for me.
                  There almost always is a way to do things better, more often than not by simplifying.

Comment

Have always used corn cob media with what ever cheap brass polish I can get. I usually just clean in my sonic cleaner but when I get range brass from anyone, I like to polish all of it in the vibrator with the corn cob and visually inspect each piece as I pull them out for potential problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X