No announcement yet.

Stinking patches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting BC you seem to like thin patches. I have a 12 piece set of brass jags, lots of sizes. I like the thickest patch I can get and then use an appropiately sized smaller jag. Seems the thicker mater compresses into the grooves better and holds more of that black s%^&.

I clean extensively until zero copper or carbon in barrel; then let it sit a day with wet solvent, and then clean again.

Comment

I buy the best patches that I can get. Not WalMart specials. I use Pro Shot Patches. I use oversize patches with an undersize jag tip. They get into the grooves better and do what Bear said.
      PS. I do not allow copper solvents to soak in my barrels. Most of which are stainless steel.
      NRA Endowment member
      NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
      TSRA member
      NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
      NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
      Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
      BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

I really like Pro Shot cleaning gear. I have 4 of their rods and several ancillary products. Never used their patches but they make quality stuff.
        Good judgement comes from experience,
        and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
        Mark Twain

Comment

Wrapping some patch material around a brass brush seems to really get into the grooves for me. It is also faster and easier for me. your mileage may vary. Also a brass brush obviously will not be great with some copper removing solvent but it will work.

lazs

Comment

I have old stripped 12 point sockets different diameters.
            I take those sockets and a hard stone in my drill and sharpen them to make a punch cutter that works like the one in post #4.

You can have 10 layers or more of the material and cut through it.

I place newspaper onto a stump probably 10 layers of newspaper or old magazine paper. then lay cloth on top of that and then punch through.
            I use the paper under it to save the stump a little.

I have never dulled a socket yet.

I make leather wads the same way .. basically a felt wad but leather works better for me in the accuracy department with my muzzleloaders.
            I put them between Ball or bullet and powder.

Comment

Originally posted by ghrit View Post
              A higher use than patches for used up t-shirts is grease rags under the hood. I buy patches, use 'em up faster than i wear out t's.
              Sounds familiar.

I wouldn't bother with the Walmart patches myself, but quality patches are worth every dime. T shirts and such are good for wiping lube off brass. Wax off my motorcycle.
              Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

A little off topic but for gun and grease rags I do go to Walmart.. they often have sales on washcloths and face cloths... like $5 for ten or so.. I always get white so I can see when they need to be changed... I will wait till I have a goodly amount of greasy/dirty ones and then throw em in the wash (by themselves) with a goodly amount of bleach...

lazs

Comment

I buy the white towels in the automotive section at CostCo. They run about $0.30 each for good sized towels.
                  Semper Fi!

Comment

I have the towel thing covered. One of the companies I work for supplies towels to all the professional sports teams. In reality I have too many. 2017 LA Dodgers World Series Champs towels for example. You may recall that they didn’t win?
                    Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I used to have an in with the local motel... Knew the manager.... they have to throw away towels and stuff when it gets a bit dirty or ragged. And it was/is always white. I actually had more than I could use at one time.... and... . I have two old Harleys so...you know..

lazs

Comment

Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

The one my mother had lasted through more than a dozen Queen sized quilts. My sister got it when we emptied my mother's house and still uses it. I doubt that you'd wear one out.
                        Those cutters are also very good for cutting rubber slingshot bands....
                        There almost always is a way to do things better, more often than not by simplifying.

Comment

Working...
                        X