DIY Powder Measure Stands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Powder Measure Stands

Having a fetish for bench mounted powder measures. I own several different types of PMs of which 5 are dialed in and used regularly. I have very little room for storage of easily dammaged tools. Also I don't like mounting/dismounting any of them to make room for another. Pictured are 2 solutions I've come up with to solve both of those problems plus adding ease of access.

Flat bar off of a shelf which doesn't need much explanation and a Pedestal Carousel

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140128_150834.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	812934

This one below was made of 2 - 1 1/4in pipe flanges and one 10in (or 6"or 4") pipe (each fitting either NPT or NPS threads but do not mismatch) and a 6 or 7in x 1/4in aluminum (or wood or steel) disk. 7/8in holes drilled to accept desired number of PMs This stand picture was made of brass fittings because it's heaver but black pipe could be used. If the stand isn't going to be bolted down the pipe could be filled with lead if more weight is required. I haven't found either method necessary for my stand is quite stable.

The top flange's threads allow carousel motion thus any of the PMs can be swiveled to the forward position. An advantage of pipe threads adjustment ,to locate the PM's position, is rock solid stability. This stand could be bolted to the bench but I've found that unnecessary thus making it easy to moved to some more remote part of the bench when not in use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PM stand 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	812935 ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
    Mark Twain

The top plates I recommended above, 6" or 7" depend on the the flange width. Make sure that plate has enough clearance beyond the edge the flange for the 7/8" holes for mounting the PM.
    That is necessary for securing the lockrings holding the PM so it doesn't hit the flange. Hope this clarification make sense.
    Mark Twain

Comment

I really like the carousel, I have limited space I have to make one. Great idea. Thank you

Comment

I think I might be seeing a new item to add to my store!
        "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Charley there is no patent so have at it. It couldn't be easier to build. The hardest part was driving to my local True Value Hardware. Thus I doubt it would sell but then I'm surprised what sells on Ebay. Beside I doubt many of us have that many PMs to need one. Please feel free, make one and prove me wrong.
          Necessity was the motivator for me. I just got tired of having to swap out measures and the underutilized storage space just because of them. I had broke the linkage on a auto Drum and the hopper on the LNL PM because of swapping PMs out of a cabnet so that was another moviator.
          Mark Twain

Comment

That's very clever. I'm a retired pipefitter, and I didn't think of that one. I even have dies on hand for cutting pipe threads, and pipe wrenches. Great job!

Comment

Old disc sander plate,repurposed as a carousel.

Comment

Intheshop how did you mount the repurposed sander plate?
                Mark Twain

Comment

daboone,these discs aren't worth a whole lot for their intended purposes. We have an arsenal of sanders, these aluminum versions turn up cheap.

They have a cast in hub with set screw for mounting on a motor shaft. Just drill/bore through with 7/8" hole.Short pce of 7/8-14 throw a cpl nuts on mounts it to RCBS stand.

I bought a cpl 7/8-14 "coupling" nuts,and sliced pcs off (like cutting a loaf of bread) for all the nuts..... because they end up thinner,and cheaper than buying regular nuts.The nuts have to be taken into account when punching holes through plate.The backside of plate has a lip,this serves as a lock on a "flat" of the nut.

It's all pretty easy once you start looking at one.It was well worth the effort for how I reload.Got a bunch of CB(cast bullet) rifles. Usually have a cpl favs going at a time.Will shoot those for a cpl months then trade off/wash/repeat. The carousel means the powder hoppers stay on their settings,for that rig.

Comment

Nice setup .

What powder measure is that closest to the lubersizer?
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Lyman "pistol" accumeasure.

Have three of them. The original plastic hoppers fell apart,so we chuck them up in one of the lathes and skim cut the area where the hopper slips on...... to utilize over the counter clear,tubing. Also make custom rotors for same.

That one is sort of "parked"....... the other two are on a T-mag Lyman press.I modify Lee,powder through expanding dies to accept the accumeasures. Don't shoot handguns all that much anymore...... have a safe full of mostly revolvers,but a few semis. 20-30 years ago I was mostly handguns.Now it's bolt rifle's shooting cast. Got a range out the back door. Heck,have an indoor handgun range. We have a bunch of sheet metal equipment so,making vent system's is rather easy. Just not into handguns that much anymore?

The CB rifle rigs are VERY interesting from a tool makers standpoint.I hang out a little on CB sites but,backed off posting 'cause folks get a little antsy when discussing CB group sizes?Just sayin,given pretty much unlimited tooling...... it still amazes me how durn acc a bone stock turnbolt can sling cast/swaged bullets.And how effective they are in the killing fields.My Savage 22-250 shoots 55g CB's at 2600+ fps,with GC's and,practically NO lube.... into tiny bragging groups.Will blow small varmints into chunks N pcs that are a foot apart.

Sorry for the novel,I love developing the tooling.

Comment

Lyman "pistol" accumeasure works the same as the RCBS Little Dandy with preset rotors as I recall? I've got one of Bailey Boat adjustable rotors for the LD. Did you make rotors for these Accumeasures?

99% of my guns and shooting is with WWII milsurps. 99% of their diet is cast bullets but mostly following Ed Harris's "The Load" with Red Dot or 2400. 99% of that shooting is on family outings with 79% of that being done by grandkids .
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Yes,have made the rotors from brass and steel...... there "might" be a difference somewhere down the rd? but short term,the two materials act the same.

Did have an interesting experience the other day;

Loading a tack driving #16 Savage 223.... 225-55RF Lee mould.This rig puts the first three rounds @100 into the .003's.Then the groups open up a bit to 1/2" or so.So am loading 14.5g of IMR4198 with a small rotor in one of my uniflows..... on a loading block of 20 rnds,the first 18 came off the powder hopper dead nuts on a really nice M5 Lyman scale.#'s 18 and 19 had to be rethrown.I just didn't expect it.

Comment

Working...
                          X