Target backing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target backing

I’ve done a lot of things to keep a target up, mostly involving keeping track of the staple gun, or thumb tacks, or nails. I do most my shooting in the woods, so these days, I just carry a chunk of plywood whatever size would make a good target, and a roll of butcher paper. I run a line of 1 1/2”-2” deck screws, spaced about 3-4” between them, along opposite ends of the board. Seat the screw heads, then flip the board over screw points up. Stretch the butcher paper over the board, pressing the paper onto the screws. I leave about 6” or so of paper overhang so I can fold it over on the screws 2 or 3 times to help hold it in wind. After that, I only need to keep track of my sharpy to make a bullseye.

When shooting on my property, I just use cardboard as the backer. Cheap, and we've always got a bunch of it.
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I have a wood frame and use cardboard as the backer. Has worked great for a lot of years.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Over the years, several stands.
        the MTM one is ok no wind, uses piece of cardboard.
        a recent one is 2 wire posts, holding cardboard between them.
        Masking tape, adhesive targets, whatever.

Comment

old pallets as abacker, my staple gun stays in my range box.

Comment

All good ideas. One item I use on occasion is a plain old cardboard box. A good size is 24"x36" although just about any size works. I fold the flaps back inside an place a rock or two inside and stand the box on end. Staple targets to the box, I usually get 4 on a 24"x36". It;ll last several hundred shots, depending on caliber and if I run off and forget it, no great loss...
            I\'ve learned to stand on my own two knees...

Comment

With the voting coming up they supply us with some of the best target backings. That plastic stuff on a wooden frame is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
                With the voting coming up they supply us with some of the best target backings. That plastic stuff on a wooden frame is great.
                Around here, they come with wire frames, but yup they work well if you strip off the wire. When I run out, it's back to a home built wood frame with cardboard. Amazon is generous that way, don't even have to rattle the groc shoppe manager's cage.

But Tb308 carries his into the woods. I'm entirely too old and lazy for that.
                -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
                -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

At our club we use the election signs we collect the day after the elections......just tape the targets to them and let the shooting begin

Comment

Foam Tyvek and tooth-picks works pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                    X