Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for airline travel?

Hi y'all,

I will be visiting my son and his family at Ft. Wainwright in Alaska this November and will be taking a rifle and 2 boxes of handloads for his wife to use on on upcoming hunt. I've read Alaska Airlines information on traveling with firearms but this is my first time traveling by air with a valuable weapon and want to make sure everything gets there in one piece. BTW, I'm starting in Atlanta and going to Fairbanks so there will be a number of plane changes on the way. Which means my bags will be thrown around a lot by the time we arrive. Thanks in advance!

Use hard gun cases and the same for the ammo.
    Jeremy

"Necessity is the mother of all inventions."

Comment

The TSA website will also have guidance. When you check in declare an unloaded firearm. You used to have to use TSA marked locks but all the ramper's eventually got keys and were stealing suff out of the cases. Now they are not required. All the hasps/holes for locks in the case must have a lock. Keep one set of keys on you and one in your carry on, not in checked luggage in case they lose it. Allow extra time for check in and for pick up. Buy the best case you can afford. Pelican or similar. You will be surprised at how much rash your case will arrive with. Counter intuitive but the loaded ammo usually goes in together with the gun. Double check that. My last trip with two guns in the case had to have been dropped on end from 5-6'. Both scopes had moved in their mounts. I have had times when they've paged me to come and open the case but usually they open it on their own. With the proof being a post card inside the case with TSA logo.
      Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Look at SKB cases, great. Have had mine for at least 15 years and use it for all travel. Not cheap but worth the cost.
        "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

It is not bad today.

My SKB case is 18 years old and had two African safari trips, 4 Alaska/arctic circle, and 50+ domestic trips. . still like new except for scars! Never had any damage. Buy a two gun case as even if you are only carrying only one gun, the otherside can be used for ammo, cleaning stuff, dirty laundry.

Never had a problem with scope movement.

You will need to sign a pink card stating the gun is unloaded, then lock it in your case...the end. some airlines will use wire wraps to further secure you gun before letting you take it out of baggage area at you destination...just be calm, smile and say little!

Comment

It has to be a hard case and lockable. It must have your name and current address and phone number included in the case. You will have to be peasant when they inspect it after the initial check in with the airline. I've been able to carry boxed ammo in my checked luggage. This was the case last year when I took guns to Hawaii, TX and CA. Only Hawaii inspected it after landing.
            Good judgement comes from experience,
            and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Good info. I am traveling to California in March to meet up with some friends I served with. Plan to spend the weekend shooting and catching up. I will be looking into the SKB cases. Sounds like they work well.

Comment

Check your airline for size and weight limitations. The last one I was on, Delta, has a weight limit of 50# and a size limit of 62". That is obtained by L x W x H. If you exceed you will pay a hefty fee. They will sometimes overlook th size but not the weight. The old SKB I had was very popular because of it's size. It was one of the few quality cases that made the size limitations. The last trip I did was with a Pelican double. I had it packed and weighed to 49.5#. Two scoped rifles, two suppressors, 10# of ammo and a few tools.
                Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
                  Check your airline for size and weight limitations. The last one I was on, Delta, has a weight limit of 50# and a size limit of 62". That is obtained by L x W x H. If you exceed you will pay a hefty fee. They will sometimes overlook th size but not the weight. The old SKB I had was very popular because of it's size. It was one of the few quality cases that made the size limitations. The last trip I did was with a Pelican double. I had it packed and weighed to 49.5#. Two scoped rifles, two suppressors, 10# of ammo and a few tools.
                  More to consider.

Thanks...

Comment

No matter the air line..my understanding right now is ABSOLUTELY NO TSA dual or master key LOCKS on the weapons or ammo cases...

If they need access at intake or give back. TSA must have YOU open the case

I would also very seriously look into Travel Insurance if I was putting anything of value in the belly out of my control

Comment

Not sure if the rules for ammunition have changed but it used to be all loaded ammunition had to be in a factory box. A buddy if mine had his handloads taken from him a few years ago. Check with TSA on this. It might make sense to ship your handloaded ammunition ahead of your trip. I've been on the receiving end of that more than once for friends flying out here.

Comment

Great information! Thanks for all the tips. I will nix the TSA approved locks and look into SKS cases.
                        Last edited by OconeeMark; 1 week ago. Reason: Corrected spelling

Comment

Some folks have already made some hints at problems...despite well written TSA rules

I belong to many forums and this is a frequent topic

ONE thing is always true:

Despite any Airline and TSA Rule...there is always some brain dead drone agent who has no clue ...

SO no matter the situation...my learned advice:

NEVER --EVER argue in public... human nature---the idiot with the badge MUST/HAS to exert authority ...and more so If you call him or her out as the idiot they are in public..Just facts...I have observed this dozens of times as a well over million mile frequent flyer since 911....many many of my jobs required a weapon...do not for one second belied a DOD or STATE Department employees with a gun gets an instant easy access to the airport or aircraft...all of us have to deal with TSA IDIOTS...every day!

Do Print the Airline rules for cargo and checked baggage...they are actually well written...LOTs of good lawyers ensuring they are Homeland and TSA compliant.....pack in your cargo or on you
                          Do Print out the current TSA rules and regs pertaining to weapons and ammo... also well written..

If a gate or check in agent is being a total dick...first forget about your flight you are already hosed...and this is why you should always be at least 2 hours early...especially if a weapon is going over seas....Domestically there are actually very few recurring problems ...but to reiterate..IF you have a TSA problem and are on a tight schedule for a business meeting to something...just call your team/boss/ folks and tell them you are going to be delayed and you have no idea how long

Be polite, be compliant, apologize to your fellow travelers...you are being recorded...tis a fact
                          Politely ask to see a TSA supervisor...BTW this is the absolute highest lever you can expect at an airport

Interview with supervisor:
                          I am US citizen
                          I am licensed to own and carry fire arms..of I am protected by the 2ND amendment... say this out loud it is recorded
                          I have complied exactly with the airline and TSA requirements
                          I have a copy of each on my person to refer to
                          Please show me where I am not compliant and I assure you I WILL correct the error ASAP

DO NOT call the supervisor's employee a stupid drone, incompetent, ignorant, fat, stupid ugly arse

Trust me he already knows...this is not his first rodeo with a US citizen who is pist off about an ignorant drone...

Problem is...he is powerless to fire that drone

If the absolute bad thing happens and you are arrested... the audio and video of YOU being Calm, YOU being cogent of YOUR rights, YOU being polite, YOU being 100% willing to comply and correct any error... any judge or magistrate determining your status will see YOU are not a criminal terrorist threat ...and YOUR LAWYER will love you so much....

BEING a vocally and visibly Righteously Indignant Citizen even if absolutely 100% within the constitution, federal, state, and airport laws or rules.......works against you in this climate of fear and hate....

BUT trust me If CNN can only gain audio and video of you being an grant ADULT... well believe me, they pass on the story

Comment

Working...
                          X