No announcement yet.

How do you remove?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two hoppers. One with TufNut that has red abrasive, and second with corn cob. Tumbler is all I use.

Wow..steel wool. sounds like you got some nasty sh*t in there. Dumb it all and run the tumbler hopper and lid thru the dishwasher. Make sure D is out of town.

Since you will be getting new media, I'd use half of it to clean those ugly shells, then dump that and use the other half of the new stuff.

Comment

Dishwasher? Never thought of that.

I always wait til “D” is out of town to wash baseball caps in my plastic cage thingy too. For some reason the thought of my sweat ring juice on the silverware is unappetizing to her?
      Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Use 20/40 corn. Nothing else is needed.
        The size prevents any from packing in the flash hole.
        If you get any of your media in the flash hole, when you size the case, the media will be pushed out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
          I will reiterate that it took steel wool to get the red stuff off in my situation. If it were just a matter of wiping off with a rag I wouldn’t have complained here about it.
          That was just crazy, I've never had any of it stick like that. I suppose it might have gotten damp enough to do that, only thing I can imagine.

Comment

It applied itself in red waxy streaks. The rims filled in pretty bad. I had to run a dental pick around them. Fortunately the inside of the cases didn’t get it too bad.
            Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I really haven't had any problems with the red dust in many years ago, it was because I wasn't getting all the lube off of the outside before tumbling. So what I do is rinse the brass in a bowl of 91% alcohol before tumbling. After the alcohol bath I tumble them for about 1/2 hr. in corn cob, this removes any remaining red dust inside and out. This method works well when I'm using Dillon spray on case lube. But if I'm turning necks or prep work that requires a heavy lube such as Imperial, I'll rinse in the alcohol, but then I use a Q tip to wipe out the inside of the necks as I remove each one from the alcohol bath.

My dies get cleaned out really well following each resizing batch, so red dust isn't a concern for me.

I just clean the flash holes out with the Lee case length gauge used for trimming, takes all of about 1 or 2 seconds to pop a piece of media out.

HBC

Comment

no joke, switched from lizard crunch to rice. secret is getting the right type of rice, this stuff is gnarly and works great.
                Nishiki Premium Rice, Medium Grain, 15-Pound Bag via amazon
                Last edited by bob_atl; 1 week ago.

Comment

Never a problem with me, since I ONLY use an ultrasonic cleaner, and have no use whatsoever with a tumbler. I only want my brass to be clean, not pretty.
                  just the facts, ma\'am

Comment

want to add that "Nishiki Premium Rice, Medium Grain" does not create fine dust like the lizard litter did.
                    it leaves the bowl clean.
                    trying that link again for : gnarly rice

Comment

Hopefully I won’t have to use the vibrator for another ten years. I did look for some lizard stuff in the pet store the other day. It was real fine walnut so I passed. A buddy hooked me up with about a gallon of cob so if another emergency arises at least I have something better than that red rouge crap.
                      Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

I honestly believe the Lyman treated media comes with too much red rouge in the mix....I tried some and in just a few uses it acted like it was old and loaded up with dirt. It would leave a greasy red deposit inside and on some cases.
                        The treated media from Midway works much better, you can tell there's less liquid red rouge in it because it's drier and doesn't have that greasy feel to it . You can also use untreated media.
                        Gary

Comment

DD, what lube did you use before tumbling?

Comment

I think it was Hornady One Shot Wax from the tin? I have Imperial and some homemade stuff I bought off of cast boolits years ago. I use them all interchangeably, I don’t have a preference.
                            Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Imperial and home brew= The adhesive to bond the red $hit to your brass. I use One Shot dry spray letting it dry (2 minutes) then size, then wipe as I remove from die to get and black carbon off the neck/shoulder; never a problem and my tumbler is heavy on red rouge polishing dust.

Comment

Working...
                              X