2 shot Zero

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 shot Zero

I had the pleasure of helping a young man struggling the other day to zero a new Vortex scope. He had already went through one box and had started on the second and still not on paper. He gladly accepted my offer to help so I had him remove the bolt and with the rifle in the rest look down the bore and center it on the orange dot. Then without moving the rifle move the reticle to the dot. He then fired a round and was in the lower right corner of the target. I then had him sight the scope on the orange dot he was aiming for and without letting the rifle move in the rest, move the reticle to the bullet hole in the paper. The second shot hit about 1" left and low from the center of the dot. He was a happy shooter after that.

I'm sure most of you guys here know of this trick, but for the guys/gals that don't own a bore sighting tool (me included) this method has allowed me to switch scopes and not waste a bunch of ammo getting it zeroed. Hope it will help someone

Well, there are bore sighters and bore sighters. A friend of mine was trying to get his 270 on paper, but every shot he sent down range went someplace else. He was using one of those gadgets with a mandrel that insert into the muzzle and send a red dot down range. We looked closely and the mandrel was bent right at the business end, so every time he poked it into the muzzle, it was at a different angle, there was exactly zero hope of finding the target that way ----
    -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
    -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

I've always found my eye to be the best bore sighting tool available. Besides, trying to see that red laser dot @ 100 yds in bright sunlight can be difficult even when they are pointing in the right place.

Comment

I use my laser boresight at 25 yds to get it somewhere close. I finish up shooting. Half the fun of setting up a new scope is doing the sighting.
        Never drink down stream from the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Savageluvr View Post
          I've always found my eye to be the best bore sighting tool available. Besides, trying to see that red laser dot @ 100 yds in bright sunlight can be difficult even when they are pointing in the right place.
          True enough. We were starting at 25 yards on a grey day. That made it even more puzzling until we stuck the mandrel in and spun it. Nice circle ---. The guy was medium knowlegeable, but did NOT think to pull the bolt. That "tool" went into the dumpster right soonly.
          -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
          -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

I have a bore sighter.Never used it. Best use for orange dots. Visible thru the bore at 25 yards. Some are surprised that you want it to shoot low at 25.
            I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Good for you, I almost always find someone struggling with zeroing when at the range and will always offer assistance. Nothing worse then thinking that person might go home disappointed and frustrated, and possibly even losing interest in the hobby to the extent that it ends they're future in this awesome sport.

HBC

Comment

The pain is real, I've tried a couple different bore sight tools. It gets REALLY frustrating when you can't hit paper and ammo cost is around $4.50/shot. Ask me how I know.

I've used the type that insert into the chamber and shoot a beam down the bore. The magnetic type that stick on the end of the barrel and one that inserted in the muzzle. Overpriced cat toys. All ended up in the recycle bin after the batteries died.

No school like the old school. Sight down the bore and adjust accordingly. It can get a little tricky if you have adjustable height cheek pad. I had to lower the pad all the way down to get the bolt out on my Savage model 10BA. One of the reasons I traded that rifle off.

Then there's always the frustration of moving the bullet hole to zero rather than zero to the bullet hole. I'll never admit to doing that twice but let's just say I know a guy.

Comment

I use an in-the-muzzle laser. I have a simple piece of graph paper with a few dot on my wall 30 foot away in my shop. 30 seconds and the rifles are always on a regulation target when taken to the range for the final sight-in.

Years ago in my low tech days, I'd bore sight rifles out a window at the top of a radio tower about 1 mile away. Worked OK but took time. Laser is great improvement.

Comment

I do the same practice looking down the bore on a bolt gun, except I just think about it the opposite way so I don't have to hold the rifle still while I adjust the turrets. I use 1" dots typically so it's usually pretty easy to re-zero quickly during load development if there's drastic impact shift. Or when I'm switching bullets/bullet weight. If it's a brand new gun, or a new rail/mount or scope I'll just use a grid target to be most accurate as quickly as possible. This is one reason why better glass is important to me. Fast and accurate adjustments.

I've been accosted by an older fella out at the range for "fiddling with my scope to much." I tend to just smile, nod and say thank you... It's not even worth it to explain what I'm doing let alone that I'm hand loading let alone that the point of impact shifts.

My brother is awful at zeroing in a rifle. He knows this trick and still really struggles with it. I keep trying to tell him once he learns the mental way... you just KNOW how to do it as you just don't forget.

Comment

Working...
                    X