If you load for very small groups read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you load for very small groups read this

The main article was written in 1993 and published in the now gone Precision Shooting Magazine. I read it then and PRB is again writing about it.
    Very interesting. Talks about somethings that we talk about here. They were shooting in near perfect conditions.
    Enjoy.
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...ifle-accuracy/
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Good read. lots of meaningful info.
    It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

DesertMarine, thanks for recycling. Good read.

Comment

fantastic article! thanks for the link!

I'm no benchrest shooter, but I enjoy making tiny groups!

Comment

Same here, not a competitor except against myself. Hate minute of elephant or whatever, just moa.

Comment

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago, but can't remember where I saw it. I recall that it was just after I started loading and I got all pumped about my new found pass time.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Desert Marine.

I just got started, but of what I have read has me seriously intrigued. I'm not a competitive shooter, not yet anyway, but I have always had a love for consistently tiny groups. I also love the precision aspects of both hand loading and tuning firearms so as to squeeze every bit of accuracy potential I can from them. I can't wait to finish reading this piece!

HBC

Comment

Well that article aged like a fine wine. Thanks for posting it, DesertMarine.

Comment

Originally posted by papajoe222 View Post
                  I remember reading about this a couple of years ago, but can't remember where I saw it. I recall that it was just after I started loading and I got all pumped about my new found pass time.
                  It may have been from the forum. Rockydog posted a link to a variant write-up. Some of the stuff in the article only works if you do other things. For example, not sizing the necks only works if you are running stupid tight clearances. Most of us don't even have the right tools to measure a 0.0007, much less a 0.00075. Powder variations not mattering works up to a certain distance depending on the caliber. If the bullet is still climbing or very close to the apex at impact then fine. Past the apex the lighter loads will rely on BC sooner, which will show in the groups. Another thing is bullet technology has changed since the early 90's. I still buy Spitzers on occasion, but I cannot load a BT bullet the same as an FB Spitzer.
                  Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                  -Winston Churchill

Comment

I remember this from 90's, Good read then, good read now. Thanks DM.

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
                      Some of the stuff in the article only works if you do other things. For example, not sizing the necks only works if you are running stupid tight clearances. Most of us don't even have the right tools to measure a 0.0007, much less a 0.00075
                      Some of that stuff is outdated. Nobody competitive is still running super tight clearances anymore and aggs continue to shrink year after year so while there's a lot of good information in there it's definitely not the last word on accuracy shooting these days.

Comment

outdated article

Comment

thanks for the post. Good article.

Excellent advise on shooting form..If people only understood how important shooting FREE RECOIL is.
                          I watch all the dudes using guns supporting, and recoil limiting rest (lead sled, etc) then they complain how their rifle doesn’t shoot consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
                            thanks for the post. Good article.

Excellent advise on shooting form..If people only understood how important shooting FREE RECOIL is.
                            I watch all the dudes using guns supporting, and recoil limiting rest (lead sled, etc) then they complain how their rifle doesn’t shoot consistently.
                            Even with this, things have changed. The problem with a sled is the way it grips the rifle, not that the rifle is stationary. If you want to find out how a barreled action really performs, put it in a chassis that will mount to a tri-pod, mount it to said tri-pod, chamber a round, then touch the trigger with anything you see fit.
                            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                            -Winston Churchill

Comment

Been reading the comments on the article. Most comments are positive and some that it was written so long ago that what they did then is not really relevant now, too many things are different now.
                              This is what I get the most out of the article.
                              Importance of shooting techniques and the constant employment of those techniques.
                              Importance of bags and rests. How the bags are placed and how they are used.
                              Loading techniques.
                              Importance of OAL
                              Brass preparations including brass tuning.
                              Importance of bullet seating including some equipment
                              I do some of the things they talk about in the article but not to the extent that they did.
                              What I got out of it is the importance of the basics and their practice, just like the basics of shooting: sight alignment, breath control, trigger control and follow-through. We refine those techniques but they are essential to good shooting.

Comment

Working...
                              X