Speed Loader Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Loader Block

Not an invention, of course, these have been around forever. I had a competition shooter contact me on Evilbay asking if I cold make a plastic loading block for HKS 22K speed loaders. I've never worked with plastic before, I'd generally rather work with wood, Found a source for HDPE plastic, that many cutting boards are made of. Did the layout, and drilled the holes The plastic worked very nicely, no issues with melting from over heating, and cuts cleanly. Given what the factory block cost, I have to wonder why more folks don't make them!
    This fellow wanted one with a capacity of 72 rounds, or 12 speed loaders. I think it turned out pretty well. Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_2833.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	841151
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Nicety nice.

Can't say that we use a lot of HDPE but,use it right often as a project material. Look into gluing it..... pretty non gluable. About the only way is waving a propane torch across the glue surface,then hit it with epoxy during a small time window. Like,albeit a MUCH faster pace..... as, freshly cut/sanded wood has a higher grip potential for gluing. We use HDPE for several wear areas on some of the shop equipment and most often do counter bored bolt ups...... every once in awhile it needs to be glued. Mostly thin wear strips.

Comment

I've one a lot of work with styrene over the years, but never messed with HDPE. I do laminate a lot of oak, but don't plan on trying to do it with the HDPE. Might look into acetal, AKA Delrin. I see a lot of similar blocks for other revolver calibers that only hold 36 rounds and cost $25 and up.
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I made some stuff using both HDPE and Delrin. Derlin wears down slower but it does take more time to shape. I shattered a 2" rod while trying to mill too deep of a cut. Not fun.
        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
        -Winston Churchill

Comment

That is just so cool!
          I honestly never though about such a tool before, but now that I've seen one I definitely gotta have one. I use speed loaders a lot when I shoot wheel guns, and the least favorite part of it is re-filling the speed loaders for the next round.
          Thanks for the info Charley!

HBC

Comment

I normally have blocks in red oak for almost every speed loader HKS makes, except the seven shot 38/357 model. Had one buyer pick up 50% of my inventory,, trying to catch up. Let me know what you want if you are interested.

Comment

I like working with plastics like Lexan, Starboard ( I think its made of HDPE ) Delrin etc. Nice and slow and a continuous chip does the trick and prevents melting stuff. You can use wood working tools on most of the plastics but also metal tooling ... Like tapping threads. Sometimes it gets interesting on the lathe with the loooong chips.
              The H in ENGINEERING stands for Happiness

Comment

Working...
              X