Smallerrizing primer pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallerrizing primer pockets

Yea I know its not a real word. Anyway a while back I was rambling on about the limited brass life of the 6.5 Grendel and that the one thing that went wrong with it was that the primer pockets expand and one ends up with loose primers. Everything else is just fine. So I made a tool like a primer crimper used by the pros for military brass, but I made it a bit larger in diameter as I just wanted to move a bit of metal back towards the primer pocket. Works pretty well but my material choice was a bit ( lazy) and I made the thing out of stainless steel as that was what I had around in a diameter close enough to save some chip making. Alas SS is to soft and wears out too quick. So now I'll have to sacrifice a drill bit or similar. Something that I can harden after machining it. But the stainless part was good enough for proof of concept. I'll put a picture up when I have the final items made. But as a whole ..... It works and I am a happy camper as now I can bring my brass back to life to make more noise for a little while longer.
    The H in ENGINEERING stands for Happiness

How many times do you think you can crimp your pockets? Enough times that a neck split or something else gives out?
    Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

Hmmmmmm. Interesting. Just wondering what 65,000 psi will do to the modified case head ?
      Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

This is just a try thing. It only happened with Hornady brass. So i am suspecting that it is a bit softer than Starline. I aneal every 3rd fireing usually but this stuff gets loose after 3 to 4 anyway. I am not chasing every last ft/sec so am not running them very hot. I am not planning to do this more then once and hope that is may work harden the brass and if it doesn't they are going in the bin.

& Woodsman777 I would guess a lot less then Stamping GRENDEL into it as it is a very shallow ring around the primer. not as deep as your usual primer crimp.

Comment

Are you using only factory brass? Or making your own from .220 Russian brass. I use Lapua .220 , which is hard at the base and never causes lose pockets even with hot loads.

Comment

In the past Hart made a tool for the above process, if memory serves it gave another firing on the brass. Another suggestion is to fire the brass twice at lower pressures, essentially work harden the primer pocket, but what fun is that. Have a 17 Remington that I can get 5 firings per case before the primer pockets are to loose to load. The barrel was extremely accurate and I just chalked it up to the cost of doing business.

Comment

Letting my mind's eye wander, I get a vision of using something like a gasket punch, carefully centered just outside of the primer pocket and giving it a light tap to push the pocket edges in a bit. Sorta like you see with military primers just not far enough to keep the primers from seating. Probably need to set the hull on the end of a dowel to avoid bending something ungood.

Now I'll shut up about things I don't know about ----
              -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
              -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

You got the gist of it

Comment

hmm. what platform are you shooting from....AR or bolt gun?

Have you measured case head expansion? Sounds like a pressure problem to me, but then I'm not there to see all the variables.....

The Grendel got a lot of mileage from being shot in a bolt action, so guys like my oldest said it could shoot harder and flatter than anything else. The bolt guys were loading pretty hot, way above AR loads.

He later said it was a piece of crap and sold it.....never woke up to what it really was and could be used for.
                  It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                  He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Scuba,

With a loose pocket you are relying upon the gas seal to be handled almost entirely by the new formed crimp. A fair amount of caution is in order when testing the these "retread" pieces of brass for any sign of gas leakage.
                    Were it me I'd inspect the brass and fired primers closely to see if the primer cups were expanding properly to fill the over sized pocket(s). 65,000 psi could spoil an otherwise very practical idea/fix.

GC
                    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes, the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."

'Thomas Jefferson'

Comment

woodsman777 and Guncrank I guess I'm just missing something here. SAAMI MAP for the 6.5 is 52K psi, isn't it? 52K shouldn't even budge soft brass.......

What's all the talk about 65K psi chamber pressure? All the cartridges I see developed for the AR-15 platform hover around 55K psi.
                      It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                      He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

Are you the guy that keeps littering bench #11 with spent primers? Been looking to solve that mystery for the last 6 months.
                        Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                        -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by olyeller View Post
                          woodsman777 and Guncrank I guess I'm just missing something here. SAAMI MAP for the 6.5 is 52K psi, isn't it? 52K shouldn't even budge soft brass.......

What's all the talk about 65K psi chamber pressure? All the cartridges I see developed for the AR-15 platform hover around 55K psi.
                          olyeller when I look at tools and such, I think it a good practice to know what the limits are. the highest pressure cartridge's that I reload for is 65K. The question that came to my mind was. If this is a viable tool, could this work for the higher pressure cartridges also ?
                          Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

Its from an AR ... no case head expansion worth writing about . IE within normal tolerance levels. I should have measured them when I got them new. I don't want to buy another batch of the Hornady brass just for measuring them. May even get a different lot number then and that would not help either. I found my accurate load a grain and a half below the Lyman max load. So they are not that hot anyway. At this point it is just a curiosity thing for me. Wakes the enginerd in me

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
                              Its from an AR ... no case head expansion worth writing about . IE within normal tolerance levels. I should have measured them when I got them new. I don't want to buy another batch of the Hornady brass just for measuring them. May even get a different lot number then and that would not help either. I found my accurate load a grain and a half below the Lyman max load. So they are not that hot anyway. At this point it is just a curiosity thing for me. Wakes the enginerd in me
                              Scuba I found it interesting also, and for the record when I ask my questions it's not to be argumentative or off the Wall, it's to try and learn something.
                              Salt&Light

WOODSMAN777

Comment

Working...
                              X