No announcement yet.

Smallerrizing primer pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've actually been rather obcessed with this for quite a long time now. I would think a good heavy arbor press, some specialty collets that fit down around the case head that will compress in .0000", a carbon steel plug to control / dictate pocket size might potentially work. I know there's the issue of web thinning to deal with, but there might be enough high pressure flow to redistribute the flashing into that region, maybe? I dunno know, just an impractical thought that lacks any supporting applications, at least none I'm aware of.

HBC

Comment

I have a bunch of them left for testing. And may just build a collet like you are talking about just for fun to see what happens. But that project will have to wait a little bit as I am in the process of moving house. ( boat .... houseboat ) ...well its a bit complicated.
      The H in ENGINEERING stands for Happiness

Comment

Just thinking out laud, I wonder if roll sizing the bases in 7.62x39 dies would do the trick??
        It would likely change case taper though.
        Last edited by president100; 2 weeks ago.
        When the hammer drops the BS stops.

Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience.

You won't know until You Actually try it.

The impossible just takes longer.

Comment

Originally posted by HighBC View Post
          I've actually been rather obcessed with this for quite a long time now. I would think a good heavy arbor press, some specialty collets that fit down around the case head that will compress in .0000", a carbon steel plug to control / dictate pocket size might potentially work. I know there's the issue of web thinning to deal with, but there might be enough high pressure flow to redistribute the flashing into that region, maybe? I dunno know, just an impractical thought that lacks any supporting applications, at least none I'm aware of.

HBC
          I wouldn't worry about a collet to control size. I'd just reduce the size slightly and use a crimp removing tool/die to resize them uniformly. Much less machining and adjusting for tolerances, etc. It would take a bunch of pressure to size it around a collet and not have spring back so you'd have to undersize the collet. Might take a fair amount of experimentation. RD
          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
            That kind of case head expansion at moderate load levels is just not acceptable in my book.
            Well Scuba1, Swapping PM's with a couple accuracy shooters on a different forum, some brands of brass, and some rounds are produced a bit softer on purpose. Apparently the softer brass seals the chamber faster, and gives more uniform pressures. I know that not by my own experience.

But the other day, I went past the 200yd bucket, and a shooter had emptied five different boxes of 6.5 Grendel, and dumped them in the trash. Hornady, Lapua, Federal and Barnes. I just couldn't bring myself to leave 'em in the trash. You can have them all for the cost of postage, and experiment with brass hardness if you'd like .
            Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X