Lead exposure at gun range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead exposure at gun range

Saw this today was thinking more ammo for closure of them, I see people at range leave and not wash their hands I always wash mine ....what do you think is this just hype? Have you had been lead tested I have not ?
    https://www.news5cleveland.com/the-h...lp-you-has-not

I quit reading when I read this:

"Plus, many times the primer used as padding to eject the bullet is made of lead that bursts into the air."

Kinda hard to be taken as credible after that sentence. That being said I always wash my hands. One of the indoor ranges I sometimes use has special soap labelled in the restrooms as lead remover. I can see where cast bullets might be more of an issue, but unless you're shooting steel targets I don't see how jacketed bullets give you much exposure.
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

I think washing your hands whether or not you've been to the range is a good idea... Seriously, yes, I try to wash with soap and water at the end of a range session, especially after a hand gun session.

Comment

One thing in life is for certain,,,,,,,none of us are getting out alive. I’m sure I have some lead exposure, but I’m not gonna loose any sleep over it.
        Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Comment

I started using d-lead soap and d-wipes, when kids started shooting and continue with grandkids. Pretty cheap insurance, since kids are most susceptible, it's not bad habit to get them into. They know, ears and eyes before shooting and d-wipe before drinks or snacks. Wash the range clothes in a shot of d-soap separately, before adding to rest of wash for extra credit.
          https://www.dillonprecision.com/d-le...8_5_25338.html
          https://www.dillonprecision.com/d-wi..._16_25339.html
          Columbia Falls, MT
          If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
          Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

lead exposure was much higher years ago, lead paint, lead water pipes. I lived thru both of those, still remember how the first glass of water tasted 'sweet' to me as a kid.

I think little danger in outdoor shooting, but indoor ranges could be problem. I built one indoor range 22lr and handguns with cast lead only. On that range we put ventilation to pull all vapors out behind the targets, away from shooters.

I wonder about kids toys from China?

Comment

I remember how asbestos was used in everything and considered safe, at the time. Grade schools had asbestos ceiling tiles, floor tiles, and curtains, for fireproofing and walls were insulated with
              vermiculite. Lead paint was used into 70s, though latex paint wasn't as high in lead, as oil based, it still had some lead.
              Columbia Falls, MT
              If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
              Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

I call b.s. on that story, I'm 68 have been shooting since knee high to a grasshopper, casting my own bullets, reloading since I was 21, rim fire, center fire, blackpowder round balls, you name it. Two years ago out of curiosity I ask my doctor to do a lead test. He ask why and I told him, The test came back as less than 4 micrograms per deciliter, Doc said unless your chewing on your bullets and eating them you have nothing to worry about. State health departments are using the lead angle to go after shooting ranges to get them closed down. Our outdoor ranges at the range we caretake for in the summer, we're now suppose to use a pressure washer to wash them down instead of a leaf blower to clean them off. no water spigot available LOL I do use a little common sense and wear a dust mask when doing that chore. We had to post signs at all the ranges advising out members to wash their hands and CLOTHING when they get home. Liberal government run amok to a certain extent
                "We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Bs is what I was thinking,now asbestos ....I worked almost 40 years in Ford foundry and was tested looks like I have some issue with that and attorneys are collecting 40% of every claim they process in my behalf. Didn’t know how many there were but every container had hazards warning on them.
                  Have to sign off on any further claim against products to get a check , if they keep coming in will have enough for a cremation funeral........
                  So I 'm not worried about lead .

Comment

I've found that dial and or dawn dish detergent work just as good as some of the special soaps. When I worked Haz-mat we sprayed down with Dawn and or Simple green and went from there. That being said we also had a few other things at our disposal.

Take care Be safe Poacher
                    "Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as a equality, and anarchy as progress". Isocrates

it's very strange, in fact I've never seen it before, to see blinders on the wrong end of the horse. I fear your narrow view of things will serve you poorly. "Ghrit"

Comment

Dying from lead poisoning is the least of my worries about what may kill me, lead poisoning would probably be the easy way out.
                      "The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath but when I do, So do the neighbours."

Comment

Yes lead poison does not scare me I am 79 and I have been loading and molding my own bullets for my hand guns foe about 50+ years I do use a fan when molding my bullets then washing up before I eat

Comment

Working...
                        X