Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard of Hearing or Subconscious Indifference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hard of Hearing or Subconscious Indifference?

    Trying to make up my mind. Don't hear or don't care? I do miss a few. Usually because I have too much on my mind.


    Click image for larger version  Name:	wife said.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.1 KB ID:	814643
    Last edited by Rockydog; 07-08-2018, 01:48.
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

  • #2
    I've seen my father in the woods point out a tree and tell me to go shot a squirrel form it that was running across a limb. He wasn't even looking that direction but told me when asked, that he heard it running across the limb. Yeah, there was a squirrel in the tree.

    Then I have seen Mom with her lips nearly in his ear screaming at him about something and he just turns to her and goes What?

    Selective deafness maybe?
    "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

    "Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

    Comment


    • #3
      Guilty of both.
      "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

      "American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

      "And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Ummmm . . . where's the joke part RD ?


        my wife has been on me to get hearing aids . . . for a while .
        Salt&Light

        WOODSMAN777

        Comment


        • #5
          So I hear the dogs in the night, the wife says"so you can Hear"!!! What can you say?
          Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by woodsman777 View Post
            Ummmm . . . where's the joke part RD ?


            my wife has been on me to get hearing aids . . . for a while .
            Perhaps there is no joke to it. Sometimes a bit of humor helps deal with reality. I suffer from severe tinnitus in both ears. Cannot identify the 3 highest bands on the hearing test machine at all. Too many years of farm tractors, chainsaws, trap shooting, rock bands and dairy plant milk pumps. Coupled with the fact that I blew my nose too hard about 4 years ago and overinflated my right eardrum, I struggle with hearing. Can't hear the dog whine, can't hear crickets chirp, etc. Noise in public places sounds like so much static. I really should investigate hearing aids but the ear specialist that I saw recommended that I not get my eardrum fixed as it wouldn't help my hearing much anyway nor would hearing aids. I truly wish that I could carry on conversations at weddings. etc. and that I could sing without constantly losing my perception of pitch. The embarrassment of singing flat has ended my part time music gigs. If I make light of it I guess it makes it seem less serious. My apologies if I offended anyone else who is hard of hearing. Certainly not my intent. RD
            Last edited by Rockydog; 07-08-2018, 17:29.
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

            Comment


            • #7
              I am not hard of hearing just tuned to not hear constant chatter.

              Comment


              • #8
                My hearing is pretty much like Rocky's. I got what was supposed to be top of the line hearing aids two years ago. Went on a trip and lost them someplace. Only positive to that is that enjoy the quiet. The adjustments on high frequency were such that they were too loud and I believe I suffered more hearing loss because of that. But I hate the having to ask people to repeat or not understanding due to low speaking volume or background noise. The hearing aids were supposed to keep background noise to a mild roar.
                No offense taken here, that was a part of my married life a long time ago and with subsequent girlfriends when they talk too much.
                "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

                "American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

                "And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  There used to be a 73 year old stand up comic. Said that at his age there was nothing he needed to hear that was worth $ 3000. I have heard from friends that the best hearing aids are the ones you get from the VA.
                  Never drink down stream from the herd.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rockydog View Post

                    Perhaps there is no joke to it. Sometimes a bit of humor helps deal with reality. I suffer from severe tinnitus in both ears. Cannot identify the 3 highest bands on the hearing test machine at all. Too many years of farm tractors, chainsaws, trap shooting, rock bands and dairy plant milk pumps. Coupled with the fact that I blew my nose too hard about 4 years ago and overinflated my right eardrum, I struggle with hearing. Can't hear the dog whine, can't hear crickets chirp, etc. Noise in public places sounds like so much static. I really should investigate hearing aids but the ear specialist that I saw recommended that I not get my eardrum fixed as it wouldn't help my hearing much anyway nor would hearing aids. I truly wish that I could carry on conversations at weddings. etc. and that I could sing without constantly losing my perception of pitch. The embarrassment of singing flat has ended my part time music gigs. If I make light of it I guess it makes it seem less serious. My apologies if I offended anyone else who is hard of hearing. Certainly not my intent. RD
                    Where I work we are required to have an annual hearing test. My last one said everything from 6000 cycles and up I have a 95% or worse hearing loss.
                    And that's always using ear plugs and muffs or both as required.
                    Just a blink under 40 years of wrenching on jet engines, rivet guns, drill motors screw guns and a whole ton of industrial shop machinery etc.
                    What did you say ? and the "severe tinnitus" is a constant 24/7/365.

                    RD no offence what so ever, I just thought it was real life
                    Salt&Light

                    WOODSMAN777

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I can't count the times I've told my wife, if I'm not looking at you, I'm not listening to you. I do have the ability to tune out things I'm not focused on, but I also have some high frequency loss. Too many years of running saws, dust collectors, and air compressors.
                      If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

                      "Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We're not ignoring them we were just listing to the other conversation going on in our head. Hard to talk to self and hear wife.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Old Cop View Post
                          There used to be a 73 year old stand up comic. Said that at his age there was nothing he needed to hear that was worth $ 3000. I have heard from friends that the best hearing aids are the ones you get from the VA.
                          That is because they are free.
                          They use the same hearing aids that are available to the public.
                          I get mine through my health insurance but it does not cover the whole cost.
                          I was told by VA that I do not qualify for VA health benefits.
                          "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

                          "American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

                          "And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "I was told by VA that I do not qualify for VA health benefits."

                            I hear you. They pulled that same crap on me. To hell with them.
                            Paul B.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Reason they gave me is that I make too much money, retirement pension..
                              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

                              "American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

                              "And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X