Last Doolittle Raider passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Doolittle Raider passes

On April 17th the last of the Doolittle raiders passed at 103 years of age. Brigadier General Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot, Captain Richard Cole, was the last remaining Raider. There were 16 B-25B Bombers that took off on April 18th, 1942 from the Carrier Hornet, 650 miles from Japan. The raid was a success but most of the planes crash landed in China. One crew was captured by the Japanese. This was the first raid upon the Japanese homeland following Pearl Harbor and was as much a moral booster for the allies as a military success. All were volunteers. The last silver goblet has been turned upside down. May he rest in peace.
    Video below:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60272676...#sp=show-clips
    Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

I fear the US of A doesn't have the quality of youth today to rise to the call that generation had. To be sure, there are many great kids today, but I wonder if the percentage is high enough to repeat another WWII effort if need be.

I hope we never are asked again to do so, but if so I hope I have underestimated today's kids.
    It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

He lived in Comfort, about 40 miles up IH 10 from SA. II think we do tend to underestimate the younger folks today. All we see publicized are the snowflakes..
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Originally posted by olyeller View Post
        I fear the US of A doesn't have the quality of youth today to rise to the call that generation had. To be sure, there are many great kids today, but I wonder if the percentage is high enough to repeat another WWII effort if need be.

I hope we never are asked again to do so, but if so I hope I have underestimated today's kids.
        I know several young people who are every bit as dedicated and savvy as the generations before them. One CPO I know in particular will celebrate 19 years in the Navy on July 4. The family sacrifices alone that these guys go through in a career go unrecognized by the general public. Babies born, spouses graduating from college, kids earning scholastic and sports awards, all gone without their participation. Yet they soldier and sailor on. RD
        Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

I need to relate a factual event in relation to olyellers lament above......
          First I am Vietnam era draftee and ultimately retired as a First shirt from the Army never was in the Nam but my Dad was two tours so I get the historic BS of our country
          Second...I get in a bunch of bad argument at the DAV and VFW when I argue with a 20 month viet nam vet about the 58 thousand dead were a lot about lack of discipline and alcohol and drugs..... I, OUT LOUD decry FRAGGING as a heinous and egregious lack of discipline

We lost thousands from very very bad leaders, alcohol and drugs, and a total lack of discipline in some units

Third I have absolutely NO tolerance for the liars that claim ( as a cook, mechanic, or supply MOS) that they were tunnel rat or door gunners...In fact I take great pleasure in putting these valor thieves, in their place publicly.....

In 1990~1991 I was in my third combat zone...above ---Virginia I sad no Vietnam in country time...so you assume what other two shooting environments I was in (as a support soldier mechanic)

Later as a DA Civilian I was sent to Iraq & Afghanistan as a Test Officer and prohibited from taking a side arm....period...
          First assignment my Supporting unit First Shirt knew I and my team (13 civilians with no soldier time) were in a combat zone.... He took me aside and slipped me a 1911 and three full mags...said shut the F up and carry this... Bright young man 20 years my junior

Every day we went out of the wire, to go gather data on new systems in country, we were subject to the same dangers as the engineers building schools, water works, electrical grids, roads, bridges, .....ma and pa do not know how much the military in foreign lands do building and rebuilding......f...ing media could make us out the hero's we really are but prefer to focus on napalm of children type sensationalism....

Twice in three deploymentS as a DA Civilian we got IED BLOWED UP.....and my support soldiers died keeping us safe.....Me 58 Years old...the dead...19~21 years old ...and I never ever noticed the youngster defending our lives were brain dead millennials...because the teams that took us outside the wire were first class solid soldiers that took their job very serious! I will never ever forget their sacrifice

Yes there are cupcakes...but in this generation are also very serious citizens and we need to foster these great Police, Soldiers, and Marshals

average guy on the border is 23 years old.....think on that a bit and don't be too quick to paint all millenials as AOC brain dead....

Comment

Well said Fred.
            "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Fredvon4 Oh I agree with you and realize there are a great many fine young men and women in harm's way today and they do a marvelous job. Yes, Nam had many "bad eggs" and malcontents, but many fine men and women soldiered thru it while the Peaceniks at home are still a National disgrace.

But I do not paint all today's youth as brain dead either.

I was enrolled at TAMU beginning in '68. When the Draft Lottery Numbers came out based on our birthdates, I lucked out with #296, so I was never close to being called up. I have a B-in-L who walked point most of his tour in Nam and put up with idiot officers and idiot draftees alike, people who thought it was neat to shove a rifle in your back in the barracks and yell "BANG". They learned quick not to do that, the officers learned quick not to be idiots, too, some the hard way. Johnny got a bullet during his tour thru his rifle's buttstock that splintered his wrist and injected fiberglass strands clear thru the wound. Months in rehab in Japan, no feeling in his fingertips so he was always burning himself, and some pain even to today. He never cried about it, he never let his loss of mobility in his hand get to him or slow him down. He never had treatment for PTSD, choosing instead to deal with some nightmares in private with my sister on their own. He has had a completely successful life after Nam, currently owns a 3500A ranch and an Engineering Consulting firm. Johnny is not a Cupcake.

Likewise, my father had nightmares after WWII. He and Mom dealt with them. One time in the early 1990's he had a flashback while we were deer hunting. Someone close by made a shot and Dad hit the ground, panning with his rifle for the enemy before he snapped out of it. I witnessed an episode here at home one July 4th when a P51 made an unexpected and low pass over us here on the Lake. If you've ever heard a Merlin screaming by at 350-400mph you'll never forget it. Dad went to his knees for an instant, taken back 50 years. He wasn't a Cupcake either.

What I am saying in my post above has to do with the OVERALL AVERAGE ability of our soldier-aged youth today versus those of earlier conflicts. There were few peaceniks in the 1940's, not nearly as many as there was in the 1960's. Men in general then hadn't yet been emasculated as they are today.

I'm not knocking the fine youngsters serving our Nation today, or at any time in History.

I am knocking the cupcakes and helicopter parents who allow(ed) men and women to become the thumbsuckers we see now and even back into the Vietnam era. I am concerned the percentage of capable combatants may have been lowered too much to deal with a conflict like WWII.

WWII lasted about 3.75 years and there were 405K military KIA.
              We started mucking around in Vietnam in 1955 and finally got out in '73, 18 years later at a cost of 58K military KIA. We lost more men in less than one year during WWII than the whole Vietnam conflict.

The Civil War, WWI, WWII were horrendous events that demanded a high degree of sacrifice and involvement not only by our fighting men and women but by the General Public as well. For the most part during Nam, Korea, and "The Sandbox", life here at home has been pretty normal for those not directly involved in the conflicts. That was not the case in either of the World Wars or the Civil War.

The percentage of Cupcake adults today who have adult coloring books and Safe Areas to cuddle in when they don't get a Participation Award has become a real concern to our ability to remain free. That's what I'm talking about.
              It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
              He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

Comment

olyeller

I hear you brother and also concerned.....deeply concerned

Comment

Working...
                X