Building the Bag.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the Bag.....

For those of you looking at my Blog and other things, one thing I wish you would keep in mind.

Check your closet, garage, under the bed, anyplace you might stash something for later.

In the photo is the contents of several plastic storage boxes of items I have collected over the past couple of decades, not counting the things I had when I retired from the Corps.

That red sheet is a king size sheet and it does not show the items such as packs and bags or other field gear.

Look around the house before you start spending money to outfit your bag.
    Attached Files
    "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Are you kidding? If I drug all my 55 years worth of accumulated prized possessions out and displayed them like that my wife would then ask how much I thought I spent on that pile of stuff. If I tell her the truth she'll want her half in cash. If I lie to her she'll tell me to get rid of most of it so I might as well buy all new stuff and dig the hole even deeper. Looks like you got enough to outfit the whole Bench anyway, how about helping a brother out :lol:?
    If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

How many trenching shovels, bayonets and P38 Lightning can openers are in that pile???? RD
      Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Rocky.... only one folding entrenching tool.... no bayonets, but a couple K-Bars are always near.

And being a Marine, we called it a John Wayne, not a P-38. :wink: And yes, there are several in that pile.

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

Ed.... hell the wife picked a lot of that mess out herself..LOL

And she provided the kingsize sheet to lay it all out on.

Comment

That's a lot of stuff,,,,My B.O.B. has a tag hanging on it,
            "Dump this out, load what you need, and take from house or vehicle as needed."
            My computer hard Drive comes out, Desk Top and Laptop.
            I change the contents every 3 months, depending on Winter, Summer, Fall or Spring.
            I have levels of Bug Out.
            And reasons Why,
            I load my Van and go, when Van can't go, traffic, roads closed, etc,
            I pull out the Surly Bicycle and BOB trailer,,,,go until that's gets shot out from under me,
            Then I strap on the back pack,,,,and if that fails, shoot my self in the head.

We have a big food storage.
            I have these scenario’s that I aim to ready for.
            DIVORCE
            BANKRUPTCY
            GOV''T SHUTDOWN
            EARTHQUAKE
            FLOOD
            INVASION by Hollywood or U.N.
            or just can't afford to live here any more.

WATCH THE MATRIX
            DO WHAT IT SAYS
            FREE HEALTH CARE

Comment

I think buying all new stuff is a decent way to stick to a list.

I see so many "bug out bags" that contain 4 fixed blade knives, 6 folders, 3 multitools, 2 axes and a machete, but no compass, bic lighters, light source or food other than a couple protein bars, and I think it's because guys run around their house and throw in everything they find that might be useful.

Comment

My Bug Out Bag weighs just 12# in a pack.

My B-O-B is to last me one month, I'm not thinking of establishing a community. Mostly stuff that I use on week long backpacking trips in wilderness areas. If time permits, I can add. But I don't want to waste time reducing my 'stuff'.

Comment

I'm 56 yrs old, my wife is 64yrs old. Our BOB's weight 29lbs each. This is everything we plan to take with use "realistically". Ammo, water are your worst 2 items that add the weight. 3rd I have to say is "unnecessary items". I hear & see Bobs with way too much unnecessary items that just take up room & ad more weight. I also constructed a Bob cart from a deer cart so for us we can cart our stuff w/o the fatigue. But bugging out for Sally & I, is our last resort.
                  "if you\'re not on government watch list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself." by me

"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervoore

Comment

No need for a bag. I'm already at a BO location.
                    Homo sapiens, [ˈhōmō ˈsāpēənz] Noun. An advanced primate characterized by a large brain which it seldom uses.

Comment

lucky you. We live in the mountains in a very small community less than 500 people. Our largest big city is 3 1/4 hrs of us.
                      "if you\'re not on government watch list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself." by me

"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervoore

Comment

So how much does it all weigh packed up?
                        That's my opinion and I'm stick'n to it...
                        ...till I change my mind.

Comment

Silvertip wrote:
                          So how much does it all weigh packed up?
                          Way more then I'm gonna hump. It all fits in 8 each 40 quart totes.

I'm not bugging out, too much to take and too old to take it anywhere.

Comment

Yeah me too... Brain thinks I'm still 20 something but back and knees don't agree. I'm gonna put a comfy chair up on the roof. heh heh
                            That's my opinion and I'm stick'n to it...
                            ...till I change my mind.

Comment

I'd never get anything on my roof, and if I did it'd just slide off.
                              I can see all the way to the field out my windows though.

my hiking pack is my BO bag it has the tent, clothes food and everything else I need for a week.
                              I just grab it and walk out the door when I'm going hiking or camping or hunting.
                              it makes life simple when I decide to drive to a lake and stay there for a few day's.
                              I know exactly what I need to get along that long and if I need to stay longer what I need to source [usually water] to make that happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X