Chasing Maria

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing Maria

I have a 37 Pacific Seacraft to deliver to Annapolis and the broker has been breathing down my neck for days now as to when he is going to get the boat up there to put in his inventory as the boat show is coming up. With all the recent hurricanes cueing up and running around I was thus far unable to bring the boat up there for them. But now I seem to get a weather window, all be it a bit on the small side. So I'll be leaving Hilton Head Island on either Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning and chase Maria up the coast. If she speeds up a bit, I may go around the outside of Cape Hatteras and into the bay. If she keeps bumbling around like she is now, I'll go in at Beufort and travel the ICW to Norfolk and sail on from there. So you lot will have to live for about a week without me posting my usual BS on here. :grin:

ATB

Michael

Godspeed on your trip, hope everything goes well.
    I came to the oilfield to get rich now I got to stay to eat.

Comment

Wind is changing to the west ...... lines of in one hour. See ya'll in a week

And Thank you cak

Comment

We made good time from HHI to Beufort NC. Ran out of diesel 20 miles short as the gauge is not very honest as to how much goo juice is actually in the tank. So I got on the VHF and asked Tow boat US to meet me with a 5 gal can at the harbor entrance and that worked just fine. Got the air out of the system, cranked up the iron wind and pulled into the Town creek marina to get fuel and stay the night. i left at first light and went up the ditch. Motored through the Pungo / Aligator river canal and got through the swing bridge at midnight at the mouth of the Albermarle sound and dropped the hook for the night. Early at first light we pulled the anchor and sailed up to Elisabeth city and went through the bridge. The plan was to top up with fuel and start up the river until sundown, anchor for the night and go through the dismal swamp canal the next day. When we got fuel, we were told that the Canal is closed because of hurricane damage. So down the river we went, pulled up the rags and sailed along the shore of the Albermarle once again to get to route one of the ICW. Dropped the hook for the night and then motored up the ICW through I think 10 bridges and one lock. Through Norfolk and anchored at 21:30 in Hmpton Roads at the bottom of the bay. In the morning we motored and sailed as the wind let us and made the Solomons at 20:00 that evening where we spent the night in a marina. Next morning we left there for the last leg and sailed up to Annapolis, our final destination. On the way in, we took of the head sails and cleared the boat of our stuff and gave her a once over, ready to be hauled out the next morning. I had a hire car delivered to the marina that evening, we put our stuff into that and stayed on board for the last night. Sad to see her go. But we left here there tied up in her slip and I hope the next owner is going to enjoy her and take her to may different places. Over the last 3 years of working on her and looking after her, she almost reached pet status. So I was sad to when I stepped of the boat for the last time. It was a trip that I was not looking forward to but the owner talked me into it. And he was right that I should take her on that last trip. Other then running out of fuel, she took everything in her stride and even without the engine, we sailed right up to the meeting point and got there right on time to pick up those 5 gallons that got us to the marina.
        On our way into the Solomons, my crew said " there is a boat coming up behind us pretty fast, you better keep an eye on that" My answer was that he should either put his glasses on or put his contacts in as it was a BMW driving along the coast road.

Comment

I envy you sir

I believe you could write a good story for Mortis' new book................
          Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
          He who knows not and knows he knows not is wise.

Comment

Its just another day at the office. Having said that, I don't do nearly as many deliveries as I used to. These days I like to be home at night and just fix boats during the weekdays. Then take a boat out fishing on a saturday or so. Or just dangle a hook in the water from my porch and do some brass prep while I wait.

Comment

Sounds like plenty of time to put the ink on the paper....

Comment

I am not much of a writer to be honest. I used to do a lot of long distance sailing. Did 16 Atlantic crossings and 9 of them single handed. I spent a lot of time reading when the weather let me, but other then doing my daily log book entires and course calculations I never put a pen to paper. Its a bit like taking the camera. I spent a lot of time taking pictures of things like dolphins playing in the bow wave of the boat etc. then I look at them later and think. " nah it just does not capture the feel of the moment " I tend to write things down in a matter of fact kind of way, like my log entries. Stuff like Position, engine hours, wind speed and direction, boat speed and course and weather observations and data. So I think I should leave the real writing to folks that have a knack for it.

ATB

Michael

Comment

Understood

Comment

Working...
                  X