Flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flies

After losing my fly wallet on the 2nd to last trip of the summer, I started to tying early last month, the the buggers and streamers done and then the nymphs are just about done, on to dry flies, you don't realize how many and how long it took you to collect that many till you replace them.
    Wet flies & nymphs Buggers & streamers
    Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

If you figure retail on that lost case full of flies, thats a good chunk of change. Ask me how I know.

Comment

How do you
      know.
      Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Try to look at it as...all those enjoyable hours at the vise creating things of beauty. Now all your flies have new sharp hooks. The trout are waiting. Fished last thursday. Caught one 22 inch bow, released. Got a few nice hits and had two big browwns on untill they jumped and shook of my single barbless hook. Great day.

But I do need a new pair of waders.....equipment and fishing, lots of stuff.

PS I never leave a parking lot nor trail end without walking around after car is packed looking for stuff I left. Unfortunately my memory is so bad, I usually forget what I'm doing walking around in the parking lot. I haave an old piece of neoprene wet suit, that I stand on while changing my waders on/off......often find that on my walk around.

enjoy the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BEAR View Post
          Try to look at it as...all those enjoyable hours at the vise creating things of beauty. Now all your flies have new sharp hooks. The trout are waiting. Fished last thursday. Caught one 22 inch bow, released. Got a few nice hits and had two big browwns on untill they jumped and shook of my single barbless hook. Great day.

But I do need a new pair of waders.....equipment and fishing, lots of stuff.

PS I never leave a parking lot nor trail end without walking around after car is packed looking for stuff I left. Unfortunately my memory is so bad, I usually forget what I'm doing walking around in the parking lot. I haave an old piece of neoprene wet suit, that I stand on while changing my waders on/off......often find that on my walk around.

I do the same thing, sometimes I walk around the car twice, especially on those dark to dark fishin days. I've still managed to drive off twice with fly rods on the hood.
          Someday someone may kill me with my own gun, but they\'ll have to beat me to death with it because its empty.

Comment

Yrs ago I won a nice Lamson fly reel in a raffle. First trip to the river I left it on the bumper of my buddies truck.

Comment

I'm good about never puting anything down on the ground or against a tree..in the vehicle it goes. waders come off last.

But first time I fished with a friend at Donner Pass in CA, he left his fly rod on the ground. I picked it up as I intentionally drove around in a circle, twice. he now does that religiously. Another friend I fished with 4 years ago, keeps calling me asking if he left his new Sage rod in my suv. these things just keep walking away.

Comment

Fishing in Montana from an early age with my Dad, I learned that an ugly and poorly tied fly will get some monster Browns. The Muddler Minnows will kill them. Fishing for Brookies or Rainbows is a bit tricky.
                The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Menken

NRA Endowment
                US Navy Retired

Comment

Originally posted by mtman714 View Post
                  How do you
                  know.
                  Lost a fly case in NE Iowa on a day trip.

Weeds so deep you'de never find it. Since I dont tie my own, I buy them, that was about $250 gone.
                  At least went home with limit.

Comment

We all know you only need 12 flies for any one days fishing; but we all still tote hundreds out.

Now I take about 100 flies specific for that days fishing; but still addicted to leaving 8 or 9 fly boxes filled to overflow in my SUV....just in case they might be needed.

Comment

So was stand in the middle of a run, just broke off a nice big brown, had to re rig went from a vest to the fanny pack, but you must remember to ZIP it up, made a cast heard a splash? Looking around nothing, seen the main pocket open. Big OS look down stream there it goes how ahead of me by 20 feet an gaining speed, was the old style leather and fleeces, hard to run in thigh deep water, and fast, hits the rough water tips up like the Titanic sinking, I loosening ground how 50 ft away to late under she goes. And I forgot about the Muddlers !!!!

Comment

feel your pain.

Comment

Working...
                        X