Emergency repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency repair

I try not to work on sundays but this was an emergency. I got a call from a sailboater telling me that he was drinking warm beer because his built in fridge had given up the ghost. Can't have that.
    I gave it a good dose of looking as and found that the compressor shell had rusted right through and the thing had pissed its fill of R22 refrigerant and oil all over the control board that was toast as well as the compressor. Because I tend to deal a bit with rag merchants that don't have that much money I try not to just throw stuff away and had a " field tested " compressor and some electronically I was able to convince to work with his setup. Brazed a bit of copper pipe on the "new ' rig tested for leaks, pulled a vacuum after installing it and then filled it with more penguin friendly refrigerant then the R22 that was in it. Beer is chilling

Nice guy...
    shoot\'em till your arm falls off

Comment

Do you get to test the beer temp tomorrow?
      Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
      -Winston Churchill

Comment

Hm. Double time day plus callout. (Unless he's a friend. A GOOD friend.)
        -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
        -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

One of those cold machines is over two grand new just the compressor assembly without Refrigerant or labor. I just fabricobbled this lot together with no warranty for 450 he gave me 500 and a couple of beers once they are properly chilled

Comment

I've always been under the impression that "not a lot of money" condition was the result of being a boat owner.
            If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Nice work, did you put the infrared on the beer making sure its 38 !!! I'll take one.
              Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

In this age of “R&R” remove and replace, actually fixing things is becoming a lost art.
                Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
                  In this age of “R&R” remove and replace, actually fixing things is becoming a lost art.
                  Aint that the truth. Most " mechanics " these days are nothing more then part swappers. Trouble shooting is done by plugging a computer into whatever went wrong. Pulling stuff apart and actually giving it a good looking at aint that common these days anymore. I must be getting old

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1112.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	819583 We could use some one like you around here, I have a early 60s Airstream Trailer that needs some TLC, Im going to sell it.

Comment

Way back I used to work on those trailers and loved it . it may be something to get back into. Give me a couple of years and I'll be set back up on land and would be only to happy to turn that into a queen of the road

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post

Aint that the truth. Most " mechanics " these days are nothing more then part swappers. Trouble shooting is done by plugging a computer into whatever went wrong. Pulling stuff apart and actually giving it a good looking at aint that common these days anymore. I must be getting old

I've been in so many shops, and the "quality of good Tech's and a good repairman is something that's fast fading away, its our age they are all retiring and the WW II guys are passing, few of the youngster want it, but far to few. .
                        Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I think that part of the problem is the "specializing" into various skill sets and training just for that. You may end up with a great CNC turner but the guy does not know what to do without a drawing or program from the CAD department. As an example. I used to work on bigger stuff then the yachts and boats I play with now. So if a anchor winch for example broke a cog. I would disconnect the drive ( electric or hydraulic ) strip it down to the broken part, take measurements, if needed , machine up a replacement, then put the thing back together. These days you will need a plumber, an electrician a technical draughtsman, a machinist and a supervisor or two to coordinate that bunch of people to do the same job.

Comment

We have a slot in my shop for a Machinist.
                            We used to have a Machinist, he moved on to bigger and better offers.

What we have (and this is according to the machinist in that job), is a Machine Operator.

Now,, I'll just let others decide for themselves what the 'difference' is between the 2.

I'm not impugning our 'machinist', I am quoting him, so if there is any 'impugning' happening, it's by himself.

Comment

These days you can get a whole lot of machine operators. Machinsts are thin on the ground though. Its like grinders and welders I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X