Ohh boy am I pi....ed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohh boy am I pi....ed

I was working inside a boat " spirit of America " and one of the dock guys asked me if I could give a mechanic a boat ride to a boat that was sinking. Sure...... so I dropped my wrenches one got this guy on board my little run around got him to the boat in distress and saw it was close to the engine vents with the water level. ( 50 foot Cris Craft ) There was a DNR boat with a couple of 350 HP outboards and 6 people on board floating around and I asked them to assist to push this boat over to the shallows. Those &^%$ declined and I tried my best to drag that boat into the shallow waters, But as chance would have it, I took the little boat to work today. So all I had was 20 HP instead of the 225 on my usual commute
    I am going to have a very serious talk to the boss of those guys and am going to try and make this thing public. I am pretty (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) to see that my tax dollars are being spent on rubber necks and the next time they stop me and ask me if I have a whistle on board. They may get an answer they are not going to like

If you call the coast guard the location of a disabled boat; They order you to assist and tow it to port! I don't mind helping, but Spending all day and my gas towing a pleasure boat that has a poor motor isn't my idea of a day boating. One day I towed 3 boats back to dockage. These government folks are getting government supplort, salary, gas, great boats....why must I use my boat.

Comment

I did what I could but with my little 20 Hp motor I was not able to pull the thing onto the sand bank. They could have given it a shove with their 700 hp but nope .... rather sat there looking cool.

Comment

If I remember rightly from a LONG time ago, the CG and similar organizations are obligated to come to rescue people, but cannot and must not get involved with salvage as it appears to be in this case. Vessel recovery is salvage, and the salvor is entitled to compensation from the vessel owner. There are a slew of other rules and regulations regarding salvage that vary all over the map depending on the water. Whoever owns those boats owes you guys, big time.
        -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
        -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

I would be pissed, We have family, that has there captions license, He rebuilt a 56ft boat in our backyard, he put in 2 new motors and completely refurbished every inch of that boat. I helped when I was available he was devoted and he has done several other boats he is very well-known on Lake Texoma he provides this service they're along with many others. https://www.boatus.com/membership/to...ice-agreements

Comment

Originally posted by ghrit View Post
            If I remember rightly from a LONG time ago, the CG and similar organizations are obligated to come to rescue people, but cannot and must not get involved with salvage as it appears to be in this case. Vessel recovery is salvage, and the salvor is entitled to compensation from the vessel owner. There are a slew of other rules and regulations regarding salvage that vary all over the map depending on the water. Whoever owns those boats owes you guys, big time.
            Sounds like the original request was when there was still time - guessing the photo is the after, not during?
            Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
            -Winston Churchill

Comment

I requested their assistance when it would have made a difference and the vessel would not have sunk if they had helped for 5 minutes. Thats all I asked for. The guy who owns the boat lived onboard. He is a musician. Play in the local bars for a living. So now he is screwed big time.

Comment

WOW that's sucks, maybe "Carma" will catch up with them and we can all watch as there life/house goes down the drain. Your a Good man #1.
                I have saved boats as others watched because they did not want to take there glass show boats in to the weeds and rocks.
                I HOPE what goes around comes around.
                Last edited by d45/70; 4 days ago.
                shoot\'em till your arm falls off

Comment

I took this when I left. The engines room vents where still above the waterline then but I could not pull her further onto the sand bar with my 20 hp boat. The Boat behind is the one from the DNR. The water here still has oil and diesel floating on is. I am not going to eat any oysters this year, thats for sure

Comment

How arrogant do you have to be to not try to help in that situation? Did the sinking boat have a MAGA sticker on it or something?

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                    -Winston Churchill

Comment

I lost all respect fro those cowboys. They turned up yesterday ( I guess to make sure the boat was dead ) The Coastguard Auxiliary ( apprentice duck sheriffs ) where on station all day yesterday to " mark ' The site and the wreck as it was close to the shipping lane. When it got a little colder and dark, they left. The whole bunch of them put a whole new meaning on wasted tax money. Utterly useless, the whole bunch of them.

Comment

Guessing they will come up with a way to fine the owner as well.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by golong View Post
                          Guessing they will come up with a way to fine the owner as well.
                          From what I heard today, the boat was in a yard to have the through hauls replaced and was on its way back to its home slip when she took on water. The boat yard that did the work may have a couple of questions to answer

Comment

Forgive me but DNR is the Department of Natural Resources and it's local right?

Comment

Originally posted by fishinginflorida View Post
                              Forgive me but DNR is the Department of Natural Resources and it's local right?
                              Yup Its the SCDNR to be precise.

Comment

Working...
                              X