Announcement

Collapse

New Chat Room

The new chat room is floating on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will have to login to chat. But don't forget to log out when you are done, otherwise it will keep you listed as active.
See more
See less

M1 Garand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both of mine do MOB (minute of beer can) at 100yd.
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by daboone View Post
      Both of mine do MOB (minute of beer can) at 100yd.
      I hope your draining those cans before you shoot'em. Be a damn waste of good beer!

Comment

pretty sure the requirement was for 4" groups or better at 100 yards .. both mine are normal guns with mismatched parts and easily shoot an inch and a half at 50 yards.

lazs

Comment

Originally posted by lazs View Post
          pretty sure the requirement was for 4" groups or better at 100 yards .. both mine are normal guns with mismatched parts and easily shoot an inch and a half at 50 yards.

lazs
          lazs, I am quite sure that service issue M1s were required to hold 4 MOA, and I believe that was the same requirement for every battle rifle since then. My CMP is a 2 MOA rifle with irons and my eyes as they were 15 years ago. Not so sure that's still true --
          -Remote locations are cheap insurance.
          -There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and targets

Comment

Ghrit... have to agree with you.. my eyes are fortunately 20/15 corrected.. same as before I wore glasses. my M1's will hit 2 liter bottles all day at 100 yards. Mine are not special at all and using gauges they have barrels half worn out. but.. newbies can hit the 2 liter bottles pretty easy. 6" is what I expect from all my accurate handguns at 100 yards.

On the M1's I use the NRA load for 150 and 165 grain bullets using IMR 4895 powder.. Oh.. the 165 grain boat tail bullets in an M1 are... well.. extremely accurate.

lazs

Comment

A few years ago Garands dominated NRA Highpower matches. Many of the better shooters could shoot groups no more than 1 1/2 minutes across at 600 yards. And this is from prone off a sling, not off a bench.

The problem is that Garands are easy to shoot but not easy to shoot well. It takes lots of practice.
              Reloader since 1969.

Comment

I have an H&R with GI wood that I got from CMP. Really love the rifle but just plink with it. Although it's H&R it has a Springfield bolt.
                Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ. Acts 2:36

I do, in-fact, handload a lot of 9mm

Comment

Nothing wrong with plinking! I've been doing it for 60+ years. Accuracy has its place but a day just walking about with a old favorite rifle and shooting cans and imaginary ememys keep this old soul young.
                  Good judgement comes from experience,
                  and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

daboone... LOL.. I hear ya brother.. As I age I have a more 'relaxed' view of things.. 60+ years here.. I have an old Harley panhead.. 1952. it is not fast but it puts a smile on my face. An old El Camino big block.. not a new super car but puts a smile on my face.. aside from load/gun development at the range..plinking is what I love.Shooting old guns that most find 'obsolete' is relaxing to me. A day with an old military rifle or Remington model 81 or a SAA revolver are fun.. it is relaxing to me to load and unload a gun like a SAA that was first conceived in 1873.. watching them big bullets hit plastic jugs full of water at 25-100 yards is cool as can be for me.. Shooting with younger shooters? well yeah.. I can show em a thing or two. The Garand? well.. nothing as powerful that is that fun has ever passed through my hands

lazs

Comment

I've only had the opportunity to shoot a Garand once. So nice to shoot, pleasant, sights are dead on, and I love the PING after the 8th shot.
                      "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

Yep TT.. new shooters are shocked at how mild the recoil is from such HUGE rounds.. LOL.. To me the rear sight is as good as anything ever made and rugged... the front? not so much... but it is an easy fix.. the splines need to be peened a little and then never take it apart again (almost never) ..

That ping when the clip ejects is beyond cool.. and I love saying 'clip' around the snobby guys.. it is like they have no idea what to say...

lazs

Comment

Oh.. one of the other reasons the guns seem to shoot so well is that they have a really really long sight radius. and a peep sight takes a lot of the fidgeting and focusing out of the equation. just look through the hole... People who have never used an aperture sight are like 'what? how can that work?"

lazs

Comment

Working...
                          X