No announcement yet.

Handloads for a 1906 M96 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a little about long range shooting and I did not start with the 6.5 CM. I started in the Marine Corps over 60 years ago with the M1 in 30 cal up to 500 yds.
    My first long commercial range rifle is a Rem 700 5r Milspec in 308, then 284 Win in a custom Rem 721. The Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5 CM is my third long-distance rifle.
    And no I am not that great of a long range shooter, just like it.
    Nor do I claim to be a "great shot" that can beat others and make them cry.
    About knowing about safety and such, guess I know something about it. I was a NRA certified police firearms instructor with a federal agency for several years.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Just because someone likes a particular cartridge/rifle combination doesn't make them ignorant. I don't know enough about the 6.5 Creedmoor to really want one. Yes they are popular currently. So was the S&W 29 at one time, EVERY wanna be handgun owner wanted one. Many handled them fine, A few did not. The point? There isn't one! When AKs were first imported, every gungeek had to have one. Same thing. Fads come and go. Some follow fads, some buy and use what they want. Quite a difference.
      "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

I guess I don't follow the fads, never have. Don't have a Smith 29, don't have a CM. I only have one Smith revolver because I have seen a lot of pics with the topstrap blown off. I go with Ruger pistols, except one Smith 617. Rugers are tanks and not the mainstream for revolvers. I figure a Smith can handle rimfire rounds without blowing apart. The CM doesn't make sense to me and neither do MOST of the fans. The 6.5 can't beat the .260, x55, .25-06, .270, 6.5 PRC, etc. etc. The 6mm is basically a .243 with more expensive brass. The 22 CM is basically the old .22/243. I would rather go with the Texas Trophy Hunter before the 22 CM. I like the odd stuff that gets it done. I shoot .22 short and Long, besides LR. I shoot the .218 Bee instead of the Hornet. I haven't shot a .223 in probably 5 years. Prior to that it was a decade probably. I shoot the Bee and Fireball instead of the .223. I did find merit in the .224 Valkyrie because it was designed to be optimal in modern sporting rifles. Other than the Valkyrie which I saw as a interesting reloading prospect I haven't jumped on anything I would consider a fad. No .277 Wolverine, etc. The Reapers are interesting though. Cutting a .308 case and necking it to .375 is interesting.

Comment

Not suggesting you're following fads, suggesting perhaps the :man bun/sandle wearing types you mentioned are faddist in nature..
          "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Is the 6.5 CM a fad? 6.5 CM created around 2007 and is just getting stronger.
            The Army is apparently considering it to replace the 5.56 and has been adopted by USSOCOM.
            This link is to an article in PewPew Tactical.
            Hmm, just thinking. I have always enjoyed reading about the Samurai and admired the Bushido Code.
            Maybe I should let my hair grow and get a topknot, they wore topknots not man buns. A religious thing.
            "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Our politicians much of the time decide what our military uses and many times it depends on if they believe they can corner the market on said military products and then turn a $$$ profit. Wish it was easier to track holding company ownership. The 5.56 from what I have read a couple of places and was told in one of my history classes by a very intelligent professor was chosen because it wounded human targets not killed. If you wound a soldier it takes 2 guys to carry him off the field of battle. A wound can always get infected and later kill the guy. Meds also cost $$$ and war is many times won via $$$ or lost without it. Real military members helped develop the BLK and the 6.8 SPC and they weren't adopted by the military. The CM was not developed by military members from what I have heard, but I have not looked into that since the CM doesn't interest me or make any sense to me whatsoever. The military would be better off with a .260 which was introduced for a military contract years back I believe.

Comment

I bought my 6.5X55 when it wern't sexy. A farm auction where the old gent died unexpectedly. Several guns listed in paper, but not the sporterized Swede. It had a Reinhart Fajen semi Monte Carlo stock, a turned down bolt, and a Timney trigger. But, very trim. Very subdued. Light and pretty. The local farmers wanted nothing to do with it. I got it and a throw-away scope for $48. The year was 1971. Had a hard time finding ammo (only Norma then, and expensive) After consulting with Carol Pilant, my friend and gun guru, he explained I owned a Carl Gustaf 94 Mauser. I assembled nessary components to load this beauty. With Hornady plain jane 139 over 4064, 3031, or 4895 regulated to 2450'/sec out of its 22 " bbl, it made adorable 3 shot cloverlefs @100 yds. Tried a few other bullets, but keep coming back to the Hornady 139. Deer fell like hit by the hammer of Thor. The high bc bullets always did their job with minimal fuss, good accuracy, and low recoil. My Rem 7mm mag took a back seat. The 25-06? Coyote gun now. The old favorite 94 Win 30-30? Sits at the back of the safe (though with great respect) It gets less used now a days, as I hunt less. But if I get an opportunity for a casual hike/hunt, the possibility of a close to moderate shot at running game, the $48 sporter in 6.5 Swede is what I am packing.

Comment

The Swede is definitely something. I keep eyeing them on GB. Wish I could get 10 for $48 each Lol. Been watching for a cheap Gustaf. Got a fairly reasonable Finn Nagant a while back and I am hoping a Swede drops in my lap too. We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ledslnger View Post
                    The Swede is definitely something. I keep eyeing them on GB. Wish I could get 10 for $48 each Lol. Been watching for a cheap Gustaf. Got a fairly reasonable Finn Nagant a while back and I am hoping a Swede drops in my lap too. We will see.
                    I still cry a little when I think back to when my brother advised me to get in on a case of Swede's for $99 each, and I passed in favor of using the funds to buy and Olympic Arms cast receiver AR instead. One of my more notable brain-fart's!
                    Most evil men will not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda or by legislation; however, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
                    - Lt. Colonel John Dean Cooper: (paraphrased)

Comment

Yeah, I talked myself out of a lot of surplus rifles over the years because they just didn't interest me that much. Now because of one of my friends I am interested in them, but now they are more expensive and harder to find a nice enough one that I want.

Comment

Working...
                      X