SOCOM adopts 6.5 Creedmoor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOCOM adopts 6.5 Creedmoor

SOCOM announced that it has adopted the 6.5 Creedmoor for it's semi auto sniper rifles. After extensive tests between the 308, 260 Remington and the 6.5 Creedmoor SOCOM announced that the 6.5 Creedmoor as superior to the other two which only requires a barrel switch to make the change. SOCOM is the Strategic Operations Command.
    NRA Endowment member
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    TSRA member
    NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
    NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
    Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
    BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

I guess that should take the 6.5 Creedmoor out of fad status or is SOCOM jumping on the fad.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

What stood out to me "
      What they found is that both weapons performed just as well and were just as reliable in either caliber."

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23...adopts-6-5-cm/
      quoted from link "USSOCOM Adopts 6.5 Creedmoor

Last Spring, USSOCOM undertook a study of 6.5 family cartridges to determine a path forward for Precision Intermediate Caliber Ammunition. Over the last year, USASOC, the primary driver of this initiative, narrowed it down to 260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor. Testing indicated that the two calibers performed very closely.
      Last month, the command conducted a reliability test, using two incumbent weapons, currently in US service; the FN SCAR Heavy and KAC M110. Two weapons of each type were used, one was in 260 Remington and the other in 6.5 CM. What they found is that both weapons performed just as well and were just as reliable in either caliber.

As both cartridges were similarly accurate and reliable, the determining factor for selection of 6.5 CM would end up being trade space. The prevailing attitude is that there was more room with the 6.5 CM to further develop projectiles and loads.

I don’t expect a major announcement, or any fanfare with this decision. Instead, you’ll begin to see small movements toward configuring weapons to utilize this round.

At the USASOC Sniper Competition, there were several weapons in 6.5 CM. Yesterday, we gave a little tease on Instagram of a Knight’s Armament Co M110 in 6.5 CM."

Columbia Falls, MT
      If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
      Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Re- barreling is the only modification necessary to make the switch. 308 magazines work for both 6.5 cartridges. due to barrels needing to be changed occasionally the cost of the caliber change would be nominal.
        NRA Endowment member
        TSRA member

Comment

Swapping barrel could also give 243, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 6.5x47, 7mm-08, 338 federal, and 358 win capability, just to name a few more common ones, that would work with platform's mag. I would imagine 338 or 358 suppressed SBR could be real useful, for close up work.
          Columbia Falls, MT
          If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
          Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

It is a great round I love mine.

Comment

Inteesting that they would compromise the bolt in a semi-auto by using a case with close but different case head standards. When the 260 uses the 308 base case with identical case head dimensions. the fad thing worked!

Comment

Just curious, how does the 6.5CM compromise the bolt, other than the small primer, holding more pressure and the steeper shoulder angle?
                Last edited by RobertMT; 06-16-2018, 10:28.
                Columbia Falls, MT

Comment

Steeper shoulder angle equates to less frequent case trimming requirements. I haven't been reloading the 30* shoulder angle very long but 35* shoulder angles with bushing resizing dies very infrequently require case trimming. I shot out the barrel on my 6.5x284 and a new barrel in 284 and never had to trim cases. I hate case trimming. 17* -20* cases require frequent case neck trimming. The cases of my 223 Ackley Improved 40*, never require case trimming.
                  NRA Endowment member
                  TSRA member

Comment

The case head dimensions are different. Would the government buy 308 cartridges that were not to the design spec for its bolt head ? that is what happens when you use a semi-auto bolt with a creed cartridge. when you consider tolerances of both the bolt head and the creed case dimensions, it get sloppy. small diferences but unexceptable in a military combat auto.....especially when one considers the complete compatiblity of the available 260 R. (neglecting the extra case capacity of the 260)

Comment

Reading the article it sounds like it came down to the 6.5 CM having more bullet flexibility. Having had several 260's, that's the same reason I'll probably switch over to a CM too when it's time to rebarrel.

Comment

Columbia Falls, MT

Comment

Working...
                        X