New Gun day; 73' Norinco SKS (306 plant). UNFIRED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gun day; 73' Norinco SKS (306 plant). UNFIRED

I go to almost every show and I went yesterday evening and this morning hoping to find a good deal on an SKS, a K31, or a Mosin. I saw this gun yesterday but sortof passed by it and checked out a few others. There was a used Yugo for 550, and an unfired cosmoed Yugo for 700. I walked around for a while didn't see the K31 period, or a Mosin under $300 and I can get one at cabelas w/ a matching bolt for 290 all day long right now. I saw the gun I bought last night, but overlooked it because of price even commented that it looked barely fired and the man who had it said he hadn't fired it but that someone had it before him. I went today and all three were still sitting there.

I asked if I could strip it real fast. Has matching serials all over. Perfect unfired bore, no bolt or receiver wear, and a clean piston. Fairly crisp and light trigger, I was fairly surprised!

Walked a table over and got 6 stripper clips for 5 dollars, and walked 2 rows over and got 2 boxes of ammo for 8 bucks. I've wanted one of these forever and I only paid $400 bucks!

I've always liked the SKS. Have an East German one I picked up back after the collapse. Almost a cherry, except for the Century Arms import stamp. Still a good shooter.
    "The fact that guns can kill another human being is the whole point. That\'s why they are so darn good at deterring violent criminals". Ann Coulter

Comment

Last edited by Lizardkinged; 12-30-2018, 15:29.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	828276Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	828277Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	828279Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	828278Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	828280

Comment

Took this out for it's first 40 rounds. Fed all 40 no issues. I fired the first 20 fairly slow into a nice 2moa group offhand @ 50 on my unscientific "spray paint dot on dead tree stump" target, I unloaded 21-30 fairly quickly to heat up the gun a little; walked out to 100 then fired the last 10 into a 2moa group from a bench slightly under the 50yd group.

Found my thumb bumping into my face when firing quickly, so there's a slight learning curve on the ergonomics but overall it's a nice pleasurable rifle to shoot! Surprisingly decent trigger. Just creeps a hair at the beginning but breaks relatively clean.

Comment

Very nice find!
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

How did you determine the date?
              Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

Originally posted by deaddog View Post
                How did you determine the date?
                The prefix before the serial number on the left side of the receiver itself before the plant stamp. It could be '72 by conflicting sources.
                Last edited by Lizardkinged; 01-04-2019, 07:15.

Comment

I picked one up brand new in San Antonio, TX back in 1991 for $175. , which is probably close to $400 in today money. I admit I can't hit shit with it past 100 yds, but the thing is like the EverReady battery. It just keeps going and going. These things are probably the most reliable semi auto weapon ever made. I have shot cases of ammo through mine and never ever had a hiccup.
                  Just be sure to clean the piston assy good if you fire that old surplus stuff as much is corrosive.

Comment

Originally posted by Savageluvr View Post
                    Just be sure to clean the piston assy good if you fire that old surplus stuff as much is corrosive.
                    Totally. Haven't considered getting any surplus just because the places I buy from don't sell it, and I'm getting it as cheap as 22 cents per round already. I've only seen it as cheap as 18 cents for corrosive.

Comment

Tried to date mine using this webpage, but the last 2 digits of mine have been overstamped and I can't even read them so I have no clue about when mine was made.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/dating-...inese-sks.html

Comment

Originally posted by Savageluvr View Post
                        Tried to date mine using this webpage, but the last 2 digits of mine have been overstamped and I can't even read them so I have no clue about when mine was made.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/dating-...inese-sks.html
                        Mine's a triangle arsenal so it narrrowed it down for me.

The first two numbers on the side of the reciever's SN are how I dated mine. It should have 2 extra numbers that aren't stamped on the bolt/carrier, the cover, or anyhwere else.

Comment

Interesting website and info. I had always discounted those two numbers for something else since they were too close to the actual date.

Paratrooper SKS-S ,Mfg. 92. Purchased 93. Banned 94.
                          Endeavor to persevere.

Call sign: Limp Wrist

Comment

I handpicked a Rumainain SKS at J&G’s that appeared unfired, not anymore.
                            Good judgement comes from experience,
                            and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by daboone View Post
                              I handpicked a Rumainain SKS at J&G’s that appeared unfired, not anymore.
                              I felt halfway "wrong" maybe even a little guilty the first time I took mine out to fire until about halfway through my first stripper clip LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X