Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curse you, Eugene Stoner (respectfully of course)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse you, Eugene Stoner (respectfully of course)

Curse you Eugene Stoner (respectfully of course). And Brownells also. The AR bug has bit me hard. Went from not liking them, to having assembled several. Currently on the wait list is an AR 10 308 Win barrel, waiting on cash to buy the rest of the parts.
    Buddy at work has another buddy looking to get rid of an upper with the carry handle milled onto it. As he is telling me this, I see Brownells offers a retro-style 1960s' Air Force furniture kit.
    Hoping I can get both the upper and the kit. Two buddies keep talking about 6.5 Grendell, so next paycheck, I might be ordering another kit for that.
    Top it off, I just put together a bare bones AR kit from Palmetto State Armory so my boys can learn the basics on.
    "The definition of madness is doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result." The HIVES

Hopefully you already know, but just in case, ot all .308 AR pieces fit each other.

The most numerous support is the DPMS LR308/SR25.

Armalite AR10 is Armalite proprietary.

There are 2 or 3 other also-ran's who are proprietary on their own.

Comment

I have been learning quite a bit about the 308 fiasco. At this point, I'm leaning more towards the products from Aero Precison for my AR builds. Pricey, but haven't heard anything bad about them.
      "The definition of madness is doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result." The HIVES

Comment

All .308AR stuff is pricey.

A few yrs ago when I built LR308 for $1,800'ish (incl. scope), I figured the absolute floor was right about a grand.

I went a little above the cheapest for barrel, BCG, spent serious trigger money, then spent more doing a few things My Way.

In all seriousness, put an adjustable gas block on it, even on a rifle length system. The .308's are far more overgassed than the .223's are

Comment

They end up being a lot more heavy than the 5.56 toys you've been building. Those retro handguards will help you keep the weight down by not allowing you to hang all that unnecessary junk on that you can with a quad rail. Loaded 20 and 25 round mags aren't light either. Sure I have some but 10's are what I use the most.
          Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Fish, if you are using the old M16 triangle forehand grip a piece of advice.

Get so peel and stick skate board anti-skid stuff, cut a couple thin strips the length of the forehand pieces and just under the width of the narrowest with of the half. I do prefer the triangle forehand over that round sucker the A2 came out with. But it can get darn slick at times, the skateboard anti-skid paper works great.

I tried uploading pics but kept getting error messages saying I needed to upload a photo when I had three uploaded...… I'll try again later.
            "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

18” 1:10 barrel with AAC brake, Magpul forend, grip, and stock. LaRue cheek riser and trigger. I polished it and got it down to 3#. Still lights off hard mil-spec primers. Full dual controls of bolt lock, safety, and mag release. ACOG 3.5x with green chevron.
              Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Here is what I was talking about.
                "I am, therefore I\'ll Think."- John Galt "Atlas Shrugged"

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

Comment

Originally posted by J.Fish View Post
                  Went from not liking them, to having assembled several.
                  NO WAY! How could that happen
                  Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

J.Fish ..... My 458 SOCOM is a fun thing to shoot ..... You got one of those yet ??

Comment

Built a 458 Socom on Aero Precision receivers. Having some cycling problems. I have read to try a heavier buffer and spring. Unfortunately, haven't had much time to really mess with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X