IMR4166 For Garand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMR4166 For Garand?

I have a very sweet shooting and in my opinion, beautiful Garand. I hate using the rod from the muzzle to scrub copper and the foam isn't good for gas guns due to the rust issue in the gas port of the barrel.
    So I've been looking for a powder that contains a copper eliminator and to me it looks as though 4166 is in the burn speed category suitable for the Garand. Am I correct here or way off base? Opinions are welcomed.

Use one of the bronze guides that you put on the cleaning rod and put up against the muzzle, should keep cleaning rod from touching crown. Use a coated rod.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

Yea, I got that and I already use a guide, but I was wondering about the powder being suitable.. If so it would allow me to use the snake and eliminate the rod for most routine

Comment

Right beside IMR4064 and performs like Varget, I'd say give it a try. I use 7977 in 270WIN and 280AI with good success.
        Maybe SavageShooter will weigh in here with his knowledge of Garands.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior in a man.

Comment

An adjustable gas plug would add a measure of safety if full power loads are the goal. I may take mine hunting a couple times this year in close quarters, but using traditional loads. To me the Garand is about perfect for a general purpose rifle. Please keep us up to date us on your results, I love CFE 223 for keeping my bores clean.
          You only get one chance to do the right thing the right way.

Comment

I've been unable to duplicate a great load for the Garand. I just use the American Eagle M1 Ammo. I can tell you that it's the best shooting ammo in my Garand and I've tried to duplicate it. It's 45.8gr of some stick powder (dark like IMR4064 or Varget) with a 150gr FMJ. I've combed over my manuals trying to find something in the 'stick' family that has a similar charge weight for a 150gr projo...and the worse part is that it matches a whole lot of powders for 30-06 in the medium charge weights! I'm sure one day I'll get it, but sadly it's still an endeavor I'm working on. IMR4895 was the last one I tested and it was good, just not great and that's because the starting load is higher than the factory loads! Same for IMR4350. Both of which are supposed to be military powders.

Oh, and get an adjustable gas plug. They are awesome and allow you to shoot heavier bullets in the Garand and not beat it up.
            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Savageluvr View Post
              I've been looking for a powder that contains a copper eliminator and to me it looks as though 4166 is in the burn speed category suitable for the Garand. Am I correct here or way off base?
              Burn charts are somewhat suspect, but looking at the comments in Reloader, the New IMR powders are designed to replicate existing IMR powders, with a chemistry compatible with the emerging EPA and Euro compliance standards. I use a couple of the new "CFE" type powders, and they work just fine. But I can't say I see a lot of difference with respect to fouling.
              Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X