Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMR4166 For Garand?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IMR4166 For Garand?

    I have a very sweet shooting and in my opinion, beautiful Garand. I hate using the rod from the muzzle to scrub copper and the foam isn't good for gas guns due to the rust issue in the gas port of the barrel.
    So I've been looking for a powder that contains a copper eliminator and to me it looks as though 4166 is in the burn speed category suitable for the Garand. Am I correct here or way off base? Opinions are welcomed.

  • #2
    Use one of the bronze guides that you put on the cleaning rod and put up against the muzzle, should keep cleaning rod from touching crown. Use a coated rod.
    "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

    "American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

    "And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea, I got that and I already use a guide, but I was wondering about the powder being suitable.. If so it would allow me to use the snake and eliminate the rod for most routine

      Comment


      • #4
        Right beside IMR4064 and performs like Varget, I'd say give it a try. I use 7977 in 270WIN and 280AI with good success.
        Maybe SavageShooter will weigh in here with his knowledge of Garands.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior in a man.

        Comment


        • #5
          An adjustable gas plug would add a measure of safety if full power loads are the goal. I may take mine hunting a couple times this year in close quarters, but using traditional loads. To me the Garand is about perfect for a general purpose rifle. Please keep us up to date us on your results, I love CFE 223 for keeping my bores clean.
          You only get one chance to do the right thing the right way.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've been unable to duplicate a great load for the Garand. I just use the American Eagle M1 Ammo. I can tell you that it's the best shooting ammo in my Garand and I've tried to duplicate it. It's 45.8gr of some stick powder (dark like IMR4064 or Varget) with a 150gr FMJ. I've combed over my manuals trying to find something in the 'stick' family that has a similar charge weight for a 150gr projo...and the worse part is that it matches a whole lot of powders for 30-06 in the medium charge weights! I'm sure one day I'll get it, but sadly it's still an endeavor I'm working on. IMR4895 was the last one I tested and it was good, just not great and that's because the starting load is higher than the factory loads! Same for IMR4350. Both of which are supposed to be military powders.


            Oh, and get an adjustable gas plug. They are awesome and allow you to shoot heavier bullets in the Garand and not beat it up.
            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

            ~Ronald Reagan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Savageluvr View Post
              I've been looking for a powder that contains a copper eliminator and to me it looks as though 4166 is in the burn speed category suitable for the Garand. Am I correct here or way off base?
              Burn charts are somewhat suspect, but looking at the comments in Reloader, the New IMR powders are designed to replicate existing IMR powders, with a chemistry compatible with the emerging EPA and Euro compliance standards. I use a couple of the new "CFE" type powders, and they work just fine. But I can't say I see a lot of difference with respect to fouling.
              Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SavageShooter View Post
                I've been unable to duplicate a great load for the Garand. I just use the American Eagle M1 Ammo. I can tell you that it's the best shooting ammo in my Garand and I've tried to duplicate it. It's 45.8gr of some stick powder (dark like IMR4064 or Varget) with a 150gr FMJ. I've combed over my manuals trying to find something in the 'stick' family that has a similar charge weight for a 150gr projo...and the worse part is that it matches a whole lot of powders for 30-06 in the medium charge weights! I'm sure one day I'll get it, but sadly it's still an endeavor I'm working on. IMR4895 was the last one I tested and it was good, just not great and that's because the starting load is higher than the factory loads! Same for IMR4350. Both of which are supposed to be military powders.


                Oh, and get an adjustable gas plug. They are awesome and allow you to shoot heavier bullets in the Garand and not beat it up.
                IMR 4350 is too slow for a Garand. Puts too much pressure at the gas plug. The Garand needs quick powder that peaks in pressure nearer to the chamber to avoid bending the operating rod.

                Comment


                • #9
                  SavageShooter IMR4064 and IMR4166 both have the same starting load on Hodgdon's site for the 150gr bullet in '06. It is just 1.2gr more than what you weighed in the American Eagle ammo. I would suggest you give one of those two a go at the amount you weighed. Might just be what you are looking for, as well as the OP.

                  ETA: Have you looked at Benchmark?

                  I hate the "logs" that 4064 is made of, but I bet it will measure thru one of Lee's Auto Drum Measures; I have just about abandoned my RCBS and Pacific measures for the Auto Drum now when using extruded powder. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...r-measure.html
                  It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

                  Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

                  He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                  He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes, 4166 ought to be fine in a Garand and ought to run with similar charges to 4064.

                    As far as my hunting has been able to determine, the M2 Ball ammo was set up around IMR 4895 and THAT is the Pressure Curve the Garand gas system is designed for.
                    Anything slower than about BallC(2) is going to beat on that long, dog-legged op-rod.

                    IMR 4350 is a serious no-no to an un-modified Garand gas sytem.

                    Yea, that is a good-working measure olyeller, amazingly. I have only fed it RL7 and H4895 so far, but it spits those out with impressive consistency. I am quite pleased.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Damannoyed I haven't seen a measure that will beat it when using extruded. And you can't beat the price that FS Reloading is selling them for. You are right, amazing performance.
                      It's not that Democrats are so damned ignorant. Their problem is that everything they know is wrong.

                      Wimachtendienk, Wingolauchsik, Witahemui

                      He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
                      He who knows not and knows he knows not, is wise.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by olyeller View Post
                        Damannoyed I haven't seen a measure that will beat it when using extruded. And you can't beat the price that FS Reloading is selling them for. You are right, amazing performance.
                        Does yours leak when using ball powder? I have been eyeballing one for progressive service rifle loads getting ready for the spring, but I don't want to gunk up my press. The included Hornady measure is okay, but is sure is a pain to swap between calibers.
                        You only get one chance to do the right thing the right way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No, I have not.

                          Now, they ARE new so I have only been using them for a couple years, but IIRC I have run CFE223 and Power Pistol through them, again, without complaint.

                          I have never had issue with the multiple Auto Disk Pro measures either, the "elastomer" (soft plastic) 'wiper' has always seemed to do a fine job with any powder, and those have run some really fine stuff, but always Single Disk for handgun.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Damannoyed View Post
                            No, I have not.

                            Now, they ARE new so I have only been using them for a couple years, but IIRC I have run CFE223 and Power Pistol through them, again, without complaint.

                            I have never had issue with the multiple Auto Disk Pro measures either, the "elastomer" (soft plastic) 'wiper' has always seemed to do a fine job with any powder, and those have run some really fine stuff, but always Single Disk for handgun.
                            CFE 223 is a pretty good standard. I will order one in the next bullet bullet shipment. Thank you for the input.
                            You only get one chance to do the right thing the right way.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              2 yrs ago I decided to retire my 3-stage progressive press (which did all 9mm duties (19 & 17mm)) and replaced it with a second 5-stage progressive (it's twin was doing all .45 Auto duties).
                              About that time I also inherited dad's .357 I hadn't loaded for in 2 decades, and the then-7-yr-old had gotten an AR15 built and I needed volumes of .223R Practice Ammo (for when he ever graduates from Rimfire LOL) and I started setting up Tool Heads.
                              My youngest daughter (early 20's) is learning on his Practice Ammo LOL.

                              I dedicate measures to the tool heads, no swapping them, so I set out to buy several additional Auto Disk Pro's (I already had 3 of them), one with the Dual Disk Mod., and suddenly found them basically replaced by the then-brand-new Auto Drum, agonized over being a Beta-Test Guinea Pig, and bought one.
                              Then, the Flea-Bay 9mmLugar Loadmaster press I bought arrived with .45 Auto dies in it and a second Auto Drum Pro atop it.
                              Thus, I have them rigged up for filling .357 Magnum and .223R, and I do not have a single complaint.

                              .223R uses THE SMALL ROTOR/DRUM, NOT the Large drum, that is 20-27grains of powder.
                              You can't adjust the large drum much below around 30-grains or so'ish.

                              The measure I bought new (not- the flea-bay one) came with 4 drums (2 large, 2 small) so one COULD dedicate and mark drums and not adjust regularly, but adjusting them is so easy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X