Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine info

Anyone have one of these?
    Ive only fires one a few times, and it had very low recoil, great accuracy and huge muzzle blast from its 7.5” Barrel.
    Ive also heard that there’s handloading issues.
    I pretty much forgot about this model.
    I play Choctaw bingo every Friday night.

yeah.. I got one... mine is an early one which is good news bad news. Good news is that there is enough headspace to use 32-20 brass.. bad news is that the chambers are so rough that the thing jams up solid after 5-12 rouns of .30 carbine ammo. I am using cast slugs and 32-20 brass.. it is low recoil.. cases fall out and it is no muzzle blast to speak of.

lazs

Comment

Loudest pistol I've ever been around.
      NRA Endowment member
      NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
      TSRA member
      NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
      NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
      Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
      BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever

Comment

Originally posted by swampshooter View Post
        Loudest pistol I've ever been around.

You wouldn't be kidding us would you? I haven't had any problems reloading for my Ruger ot that finding a load I like. I'm trying to find something on the light side with cast bullets. I have molds for bullets ranging from 100 gr. to 125 gr. and the 125 gr. bullet is not bad. Even the light loads are loud and extraction is stiff due to rough chamber walls. I wonder if Ruger felt they were necessary as I seems I'm always hearing that complaint on the rough chambers. BTW, even the light loads have a bit a a sharp nasty bark. yeah, they are load.
        Paul B.

Comment

For some reason using 32-20 cases at the same velocity as the 30 carbine loads.... the 32-20 loads are not near as loud... and the cases just fall out.

lazs

Comment

Originally posted by DarkShooter View Post
            Anyone have one of these?
            Ive only fires one a few times, and it had very low recoil, great accuracy and huge muzzle blast from its 7.5” Barrel.
            Ive also heard that there’s handloading issues.
            I pretty much forgot about this model.
            D.S.
            Yup, have had one for many years now. It's a love hate thing for me. Love the cartridge, hate the gun and for that matter Ruger's in general (bought quite a few over the years, I've never owned one that's been right, they've all had some sort of manufacturing and or design problems) the Black Hawk being no exception. That being said I finally found one bullet and load that'll shoot a group at 25 yards... From five of the 6 chambers, the sixth chamber of the cylinder being so tight that every 30 carbine cartridge fired in it exhibits over pressure signs! That especially includes every factory cartridge I've tried, as well as my most mild hand loads.

Anyway, what the other five chambers of the cylinder like is a plated 98g Nagant DEWC available from Graf's...
            Assuming I do my part the DEWC's will shoot a nice tight group, as opposed to the patterns produced by every other bullet type and weight I've played with over the years.

I did hear from a friend of a friend that there is a guy up in Ohio somewhere that bought a brand new Ruger and it shot really great right out of the box... Not sure what to make of that story though.
            Graf's plated bullets begin as a swaged lead core. The swaged lead cores are tumbled in an electrically charged bath containing high-grade copper ingots. The copper clings to the lead and the longer the bullets remain in the bath, the thicker the plating.  The bullets are plated to the correct size and then taken out of the bath. This is not loaded ammunition.
            Most evil men will not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda or by legislation; however, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
            - Lt. Colonel John Dean Cooper: (paraphrased)

Comment

Ok.. every middle class gun owner in the world is mad when I say that Ruger does tend to have problems with their revolvers. That being said...........get a good one? u got a great deal.. get a bad one? you are kinda.. well.. in a bad place. they will never admit that mismatched throat and barrel dimensions mean anything.. they are correct.. if you care about handguns why are you not buying a more expensive gun? not being contentious here but the fact is the worst Ruger revolver shoots better than most of us can hold. Does the one inch better sandbag group of a good smith or Colt or Dan Wesson matter? mostly not 2"? yeah.. maybe.. guys who measure stuff? it is kinda irritating.

To ME.. the 30 carbine blackhawk is a great example of the difference between a Python and a Ruger.. now.. to be fair.. I have seen plenty of Rugers that were... perfect.

lazs

Comment

Finally got my password straightened out and able to log back in.
                This model may be interesting but I don’t think it’s for me.
                Thanks for the replies.
                I play Choctaw bingo every Friday night.

Comment

Given that I was wrong once many years ago...

Has any other manufacturer ever offered a revolver chambered in 30 carbine, other than Ruger's Blackhawk?
                  I've happened across a number of 30 Carbine semi-auto's over the years but am aware of only that one revolver.

GC
                  Most evil men will not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda or by legislation; however, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
                  - Lt. Colonel John Dean Cooper: (paraphrased)

Comment

I like my Ruger revolvers. No issues yet. I am in love with my Gp100 in .44 Special. Thing shoots lights out, no recoil, looks good, and fun to shoot. I wouldn't mind getting one in .30 Carbine, but haven't had the chance.

Comment

My Ruger wheel guns are fine, 22, 30 carbine, 357, 44 mag. all SA.

The 30 carbine came out when there were loads of mil ammo cheap; and people wanted a companion for their mil surplus M1 carbine. That no longer exists.

It is just a plinker gun, maybe some varmints. no good on deer or wild boar..don't ask how I know.

IF you find one, get it. no regrets.

Comment

In tha late 70's my dad's best friend picked one up. I was able to shoot it often and we all thought it was fun but terribly loud. A few years later another one of his friends shows up at the house with the first of the 10 in Ruger 357 maximums. I was in high school and was able to fire the first rounds it had seen other than factory test loads. Shot the whole box of 158 gr Remingtons. That maximum put a whole new light on loud.

Comment

I've also had very good luck with Ruger revolvers,from Super Redhawk .454 to my daughters single six .22/.22mag the single six .32 H&R and single sevens .327 are my favorites for day to day carrying around here,I just picked up a Blackhawk 5.5 barrel .45 with both .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders it is certainly competing with my .32's in being a favorite,if a .30 Blackhawk crossed my path cheap I'd add it to my collection in a heart beat,really dont need but I probably dont need 3 .327 cal revolvers and 3 .32 H&R cal revolvers either,

Comment

Originally posted by Guncrank View Post
                            Given that I was wrong once many years ago...

Has any other manufacturer ever offered a revolver chambered in 30 carbine, other than Ruger's Blackhawk?
                            I've happened across a number of 30 Carbine semi-auto's over the years but am aware of only that one revolver.

GC
                            I only know of one Colt Bisley and that was a custom conversion I read about many years ago, probably in the very late 50's or early 60's. He only other handgun that I can recall was a semiautomatic chambered to the .30 Carbine. There may be others made on a custom or semi-custom basis but nothing positive on that.
                            Paul B.

Comment

Originally posted by lazs View Post
                              For some reason using 32-20 cases at the same velocity as the 30 carbine loads.... the 32-20 loads are not near as loud... and the cases just fall out.

lazs
                              I would think if the thin 32-20 cases fell out that the velocity is somewhat less. Especially if not loaded above SAAMI max. Be tempted to replace cylinder or rechamber to something crazy like a necked down 357.
                              I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

Working...
                              X