durability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• durability

Been a very busy week here, so I thought I'd "relax" in front of the computer tonight. Here's a question that perhaps many/most of you know better than me. I recently read a couple of articles that mentioned that the FN509 ran through 1 million rounds without any problem, or at least serious problem while testing. It got me thinking and wondering how many rounds a SR9, or S&W M&P, or Springfield armory, Kahr, Walther etal might (everything being equal, ammo, number of cleanings, etc.) digest without any major hiccup or breakdown. I've not found any reviews that address this aspect, just, looks, ergonomics, accuracy, manual safety or none, size and location of releases and levers, etc. I've only seen a casual comment that an SR9 should easily digest 10,000 rounds. That's a far cry from a million. Just an idle question on a slow Thursday evening.
    Proud to be a NRA member!

One thing that makes me quite skeptical of that claim and don't get me wrong anything is possible. It's likely all laboratory testing not in the hands of lazy owner who fails to keep it clean or use the exact same load every single time for some examples. I'm just saying.
    Jeremy

"Necessity is the mother of all inventions."

Comment

Yeah, I'm skeptical too about a million rounds, and they were likely in a laboratory setting as you say. But as I said, if in the same laboratory setting, all things equal, I'm just wondering how many rounds some of the other 9mms would run. I've really never read any reviews/reports about how many rounds those other brands might cycle before failure, from either independent testers or from the companies themselves. Seems rather bold and audacious for FN to make such a claim.
      Proud to be a NRA member!

Comment

Yep even a Toyota has parts that break or just plain wear out.
        Jeremy

"Necessity is the mother of all inventions."

Comment

That’s over $150,000 worth of ammunition.
          Endeavor to persevere.

Comment

Don't know about a million but Tom Frye shot over 100,000 hand tossed wood blocks in 13 days back in 1959. He used 3 Remington Nylon 66 rifles and had no malfunctions. Frye hit 2.5" square blocks 100,004 out of 100,010. for a new world record. He shot over 1000 rounds an hour. This was with first generation Nylon rifles.
            Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Comment

I remember reading about Tom Frye and the Remington Nylon 66. Have a Black Diamond.
              "The United States Marine Corps is a drug and I am a recovering addict."

"American by birthright… U.S. MARINE by the Grace of GOD!"

"And on the 8th day God created Marines and like fish, we came from the sea!"

Comment

You're not putting 1 million rounds through any pistol without replacing barrels and springs at a minimum. I'm telling my age but this makes me think about the old commercial asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. I have no idea how many rounds I've put through my Kahrs, Glock, and Sigs.
                If it weren't for double standards, liberals would have no standards at all.

"Ammo and really good friends are hard to find in a gunfight so I bring them with me" E. J. Owens

Comment

Really worthless with out knowing what a "serious problem" is! Is a broken firing pin at 750,000 a "serious problem" or normal maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark Ed View Post
                    You're not putting 1 million rounds through any pistol without replacing barrels and springs at a minimum. I'm telling my age but this makes me think about the old commercial asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. I have no idea how many rounds I've put through my Kahrs, Glock, and Sigs.
                    The telling part about your age is you think only people your age remember that commercial. It ran much longer than you think
                    Friends don't let friends shoot factory ammo.

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
                    -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                    X