No announcement yet.

Moderate priced 9mm factory stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 9mm 124gr, you will run into some "NATO" spec, with crimped primers, if you're not going to sell brass or reload it, it doesn't matter.

I've shot the American Eagle and Winchester "NATO" white box, they both shoot well. I've used Blazer Brass and Magtech, the extra penny or two for AE, is worth it. AE also makes Syntech, which I've shot on plates, it is couple pennies more, but coated bullet, doesn't have near the splash back.
    Columbia Falls, MT
    If we don’t speak out against the infringements of today, it will weaken our ability to stop the next infringements.
    Since it took 26th Amendment to change voting age, expanding rights under 14th Amendment. Why doesn't same requirement, to restrict rights, extend to 2nd Amendment?

NRA Benefactor Life, NRA Ring of Freedom, NRA-ILA Partner in Freedom, GOA Patriot, SAF, Oath Keepers

Comment

Looked in on a few of the "Bald Bearded YouTube Whizbang" boys, but they were too busy fussing about each other or begging financial support [money] for their pateron accounts.
      "Don't try to cover up a lack of training with a tool you don't understand."

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

35mi east is "the big city" with an Academy store. Well stocked with single boxes of 50 in 9mm fodder. When finances present themselves, I zip over and grab up a variety of makes of 124gr 9mm. Good brass cased stuff, and no steel stuff. Learned my lesson with the steely stuff in the little black rifle. You get what you pay for.... There's several brands there in the under 19 cents per round range. I'm confident I'll find something.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit Fox View Post
          Now I'm looking for opinions on the standard 9mm 124gr loads.
          If you're not looking for self defense loads with some extra terminal performance, the affordable ammo is all pretty much the same in my S&W 9's. It also costs pretty much the same. Of the brands that most sources carry, I usually acquire Blazer Brass ammo, when my brass supply escapes in the grass. If, however, you have no intention of saving the brass, the aluminum case Blazer is about a buck less a box in bulk, about $850/50rds for either 115gr or 124gr FMJ. I never buy any myself.

Accuracy wise, I rarely shoot my 9mm Shield past 25yds. The sights are for fast acquisition, not long range precision, but rested on a bench bag, accuracy is sufficient for gallon water bottle size groups even at 50yds, with some practice getting the sight picture right. And that doesn't seem to change from box to box, brand to brand.

But I do handload for my 9's. Both are reliable with 115gr Hornady HAP HP bullets over 4.9gr of Unique, and the cost per box, with fired and conditioned brass, (much of which I pick up), is about the same as cheap FMJ. It's not as hot at 4,9gr, but I can bump that up to +P level with little or no change in POI. The milder level of of performance is much easier on the hardware.

Handloading isn't for everyone, only for those that can envision the day when some Democrat finds a way to ration ammo, or limit sales to law enforcement. Which I may not live to see, but I won't be surprised to death when it comes around. Because I can always make my own.
          Experience is what you get, when you don\'t get what you want ;-)

Comment

Tman51, I hear ya. I loaded for a gorgeous Browning Silver Chrome Hi Power back in the 80's that was Rediciouliously accurate! Even 160gr Keith SWCHP crammed into a 9mm case with a touch of Bullseye. A Walther P38, Llama BKM... You name it. It was a blast. Then the years passed. The weapons were sold out of my shop. And then I was left with an early US import Glock for a service weapon. PD issued ammo. New wife [#3 and I don't wanna talk about it] kept me poor upon retirement. Never improved mony-wise, but she left! Yea!!

But flash to today. I love my new pretty Glock Mod 19 Gen4. Reminds me of my old one. Yup. And the little Taurus G2c is stunning as well. A joy to shoot.
            Now, bullets, brass, primers, and powder. It costs me more to reload 9mm than to buy it loaded in bulk. Course I save my brass. Been loading my own since around 1960. Old habit policing the range for spent cases. But yes, it seriously does cose me more to load than buy loaded rounds. But I have the empties just unloaded from the tumbler.

The Fed Aluminium 9mm shoots great from the Taurus, but spits brass right into my frace from the Glock. That's why I was looking for brass cased factory stuff.

Tested Win White Box 115gr FMJRN. Tight group and clean ammo. Rem Green box 115gr FMJRN was all over the paper. Rem 124gr FMJRN were great! Really tight! Will test more as time and money present themselves. Dying to try Fiocchi 124JHP standard load. Understand it is super accurate and does a fair job as a decent defensive load.

Remembering back when I ran the officer's shooting board, the 124gr JHP quite often appeared to be a top stopping load in 9mm. Even over the 147gr, that often failed to expand and stop the threat. But 124gr seamed a magic number back then. I'm sure in 15 years loads have changed some. But that chart of stops, where the bad guys quit fighting, had a big tall black bar in the graph reaching the top with 124JHP under that tall bar.

Oh well....
            Thanks for the info and encouragement! I'll keep testing loads as I go.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

I think when 9mm is as cheap as I've seen it lately at some places, it's hard to say that you might be able to make it for way cheaper than you can buy it for. $8 or $9 per box comes down to 16-18 cents a round.....yeah maybe you can make it cheaper, but maybe not too. What keeps sticking in my head is, when somebody with a 'D' after their name sits in the Oval Office, sooner or later there will be a shortage of some kind, I distinctly remember when all ammo was almost impossible to get your hands on, primer, powder, even cases were backordered and if you weren't a reloader, you were pretty much stuck. I made a decision back then that i wouldn't be caught in the middle again, and lets just say that I kinda ignore the experts who say that you should only keep enough powder and primers around for what you need to reload for right now. I want to be at the range shooting when all other people are at home because they can't get their hands on their caliber of ammo.
              "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

Comment

The way I an doing is buy factory while it is cheap.Brass cases when possible and save them. Stock up on supplies to load it when needed. Worse that could happen is your kids will get it.
                I was raised in the 50\'s on jackrabbits and gunpowder.salt and pepper wooda made\'em taste better

Comment

That is a very logical move.
                  I like it.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Ordered some ammo yesterday and the listed prices were great. One thing I missed, due to doing my business on a stinking phone, was shipping cost. With only one "good eye" now, I misread the shipping cost. 4- 50rd boxes 9mm, 5- 20rd boxes of 5.56mm was S33 shipping! Holy hyper costs Batman! That took most ammo from 17 cents or 18 cents a piece to right at 23 cents a pop! Even with the taxes here, I can beat that easily buying locally.
                    Lessons Learned.....

The Fiocchi 124gr FMJTN shot wonderfully. Tight and centered. And nearly the same results with the Winchester 124gr FMJRN NATO ammo. In conjunction with the Remington 124gr FMJRN, from earlier tests, the collective results show thus far, a substantial amount of consistency in accuracy and shot placement. With all the 124gr fodder, multiple times there were clustered hits, all touching!
                    For a stock Glock with their reputedly bad sights, and a septuagenarian shooter in poor health and bad eyesight, that's a good indicator of a pattern of favorable results.

I have 100rds of Fiocchi 124JHP and 100rds of PPU 124JRN on the way. If these last two provide as tight as the former tried, then it would surely direct my choice of bullet weight in this Glock 19. Oddly enough, the little Taurus G2c simply devours everything fired in it with remarkable consistency. A fine weapon indeed.

Well, that's all for now. Won't be getting ammo from that one site for sure!

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

I hit the wrong button on this miserable little smartass phone! Instead of my purchases of ammo being 23 cents a piece... I intended to show it as 33 cents a piece. Yes, I believe I got bent over here. Brass cased 9mm locally is about 1/2 that!
                      Shame I gotta use a phone smaller than a box of kitchen matches and doing so with failing eyesight. Reckon it does complicate things huh?
                      I'm going to play a sad tune for myself.Ha!
                      If ya can't laught at something stupid, well you're just not having fun...and not seeing that monstrous shipping charge due to poor eyes IS stupid!

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Well, if there's anyone still interested, I've tried several makes of 124gr 9mm. When the dust settled, the smoke cleared, and animals in the surrounding woods returned to normal, here's what I got...

Top FMJ : Winchester 124gr FMJRN NATO ammo
                        2nd place: Remington 124gr FMJRN green box
                        Runner up: Fiocchi 124FMJFP.

Top Budget HP: Fiocchi 124gr JHP
                        2nd place : Winchester 124gr JHP white box

Then I ran out of money as my small tractor had mower issues and required now spindles and blades.

Of interest, well to me anyway, the Winchester NATO ammo was very accurate, consistent, and the leased priced of all tested. Even better than the 124gr FMJRN PPU ammo, which by the way, scattered across the target like buckshot.

So that's it. I'm done. Found a good source for the ammo the Glock prefers and it's affordable. And yrs, I'm saving the brass. That's a habit of more than half a century.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

Nice report! Thanks and I'm glad you found something that works well for you. RD
                          Every once in a while in life we need a policeman, a lawyer, a doctor and a preacher. We need a farmer three times a day, every day.

Et Canis Manducare Canis Mundi

Comment

Just a thought KF but Charley sells a lot of powder and primers that he picks up and his prices are very reasonable. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him at the shoot so you may want to hit him up and see what he has and how close or far from you he is. Upside is you are supporting a member and you usually get some great deals.

Take care Be safe Poacher.
                            "Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as a equality, and anarchy as progress". Isocrates

it's very strange, in fact I've never seen it before, to see blinders on the wrong end of the horse. I fear your narrow view of things will serve you poorly. "Ghrit"

Comment

Yes sir, I appreciate the suggestion. And Glock doesn't fair well with cast. Can't save money there. Thus with jacketed bullets, the cost goes up. And I know this is a reloading forum and not one based solely on factory ammo. However, there's no way I can beat the cost of factory loaded ammunition available today. Even saving a penny per primer and such. And when using the most inexpensive FMJ 9mm bullets, my "pre 55 dollar per K" primers, and such, it is impossible to beat brass cased FMJ 9mm made in the USA for 14.5 cents a round. I've enjoyed reloading for right at 60 years, but I don't believe in paying extra for the components and spending hours to produce rounds already made for far less. I consider that to be counterproductive.

I'll save my efforts for my old .38 & .357, along with my old 1911A1. And that little black rifle that everyone hates and wants to destroy. I load for them. It's affordable to. Just not affordable with the Glock.

John Lovell on upgrades.

Comment

I keep the components for about 1,000 9mm on hand for when the next Democrat gets elected and everything dries up, but now I can buy 50 rounds of ball 9mm for about $8 so why expend the labor to reload what little 9mm I shoot? I only shoot enough 9mm to stay so so proficient anyway. I'd much rather shoot my S&W 586 .357Mag since I don't need to chase the brass.

Comment

Working...
                                X